Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ANH is not that great as a standalone movie.

Last week I watched TPM on Monday, AOTC on Tuesday, and of course ROTS Wednesday at midnight, then a bunch more over the weekend. So, feeling down about the end of Star Wars, I figured what better remedy than to move along to Episode 4 ?

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but man did the second half of it ever feel flat last night. The opening stuff with the Tantive 4 was great as was the Tatooine stuff with Obi-Wan but once they get to the Death Star it started to feel bland. The dialogue with Vader and Obi-Wan was great but after Ben dies it goes downhill for me.

I think Mark Hammill is partly to blame, he's not very good in this one. He has his moments but it's not until ESB when he really gets going, he does a fantastic job in that picture and of course by ROTJ he does a great job of playing a confident Jedi.

I wasn't born until ANH was a year old so growing up I always took it in under the context of the whole trilogy. I have come to the realization that I don't like it that much as a stand alone. Had the film tanked and no sequels or prequels ever been made, I don't imagine myself even talking about ANH that much, compared to, say, Dawn of the Dead which was released in 1978. Yes I know that one is also part of a "trilogy" but it has no linked characters and barely even a linked plotline (many many ripoffs over the years) so I'm counting that as a standalone.

ANH is a cool movie but without the deeper layers added to it by the sequels and prequels I wouldn't be so caught up in it.

Thankfully after ANH I can move on to ESB which is what I'm watching right now, what a great film ! Yoda is back and we get Lando, come on !

Re: ANH is not that great as a standalone movie.

I agree totally, Caesar. Frankly I think now that ANH is the weakest film of the Saga. Yes it's a good film, don't get me wrong. And I love it as much as I do the other five films. Just when you fairly compare all of them, it's the slowest paced. Lucas himself has acknowledged that fact. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's the only film of the Saga that I routinely end up feeling restless of falling asleep during.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I have to admit that I agree with Jar Jar!

I never really wanted to admit it, but I do feel the middle section of ANH is boring. The beginning is great, and the end space battle is ok, but the rest just seems very slow.
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Frankly I am surprised to be reading this. I disagree that ANH is the weakest of the saga. PM is by far the weakest in almost every aspect.

Each of the movies as it's boring or slow part. ANH has it's own with the trash compactor scene. That just bores me. In hindsight it does have the worst saber battle too as it's way short and is difficult to watch due to the very slow movements of Obiwan. However just about the rest of the movie is great.

Ep IV has a lot of incidental exposition, but I will take a movie that instantly gets you emotionally behind charismatic protagonists any day over one that shows you the behind of an eopie.

Just my two cents.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I rank ANH ahead of TPM. ANH is my 5th favorite of the 6 . . . I'm watching ROTJ right now and it's fantastic, I really enjoyed Ben's talk to Luke about his old man, very exciting since ROTS is so fresh in my head from the past week.

That's what I loved about ANH, too, the whole Obi-Wan/Anakin/Owen/Luke thing.

Oh yeah, not to mention Vader telling those TIE pilots to let Wedge go and stay on the leader, it totally reminded me of When Obi-Wan told him in the last movie to let the clones die because they were doing their job . . . had they gone off and taken out Wedge, they would have been doing Luke a favor.

Man, I love this saga !

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar

It's the only standalone Star Wars movie.

I'm with stilla on this one. You guys is smoking' crack.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I enjoyed watching ANH after ROTS and still enjoy it a lot.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I'm with stilla on this one. You guys is smoking' crack.
    Or maybe we just have... *GASP* A different opinion! *Gasp*

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.