Hybrid View

Vader lightsaber question

I've noticed on mine, and I'm sure on all, that there are letters on the hilt. Does anyone know what they mean? Also on the ANH version, what is that little switch on the activation matrix? What does that do?
    "I have you now."

Re: Vader lightsaber question

I have the same lightsaber. Not sure why the few letters are there. The Trilogy Visual Dictionary doesnt have the best picture of Vader's Lightsaber -so its hard to tell. In The Best of the Lucasfilms Archives book -it shows a later version of Vader's lightsaber -so once again. Not a good picture.

That switch on the activation matrix is called the activation switch. Although it doesnt say what that feature is in any of the Visual Dictionaries.

Interesting, the ROTS Visual Dictionary left out Anakin's NEW lightsaber.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Isn't it odd though that it's not listed anywhere on what the letters are and exactly that "switch" does and is for?
    "I have you now."

The letters are "E" "S" and "B". And no, they don't stand for "Empire Strikes Back". They were the letters on the original MPP flash gun that the OT Vader sabers were made from. They stood for the functions that the flash gun was capable of. I can't remember what they stand for though.

I'm sure the switch on the ANH was probably on the original prop used inthe movie. The reason it may not be on the ESB version is probably because the sabers made for ANH were done by a prop house for 20th Century Fox. They weren't as well done as later props and the parts were modified as little as possible for ewase and simplicity. The ESB sabers were modified much more and more care was taken in craftsmanship because they were made in-house this time by the then newly formed Lucasfilm company.
    Last edited by knightone; 05-27-2005 at 04:26 PM.

So with that said those letters shouldn't appear on the ESB saber. Very interesting, thanks!
    "I have you now."

Quote Originally Posted by megaprime33
    So with that said those letters shouldn't appear on the ESB saber. Very interesting, thanks!
    No, I think it still did appear on the original ESB saber. They replaced a lot more parts on the MPP flash gun for ESB, but for some reason didn't machine out the letters. I guess they figured it couldn't be seen on screen, so they didn't bother with it.