Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who is the main hero of this movie, & who are the galactic "good guys" here?

First off, who is the main hero of this film? It seems like the story is spread across the core characters of the film that there is no main hero or heroes to me, nobody seems to be the focus. I suppose the closest to the focus is Anakin since a lot of the time he's not doing anything or on-screen, someone is still talking about him, but he's certainly no hero of this picture.

Secondly, we have a war between the Republic and the Separatists, both sides being secretly controlled by Palpatine, and when Anakin and Padme are discussing the 2 sides, Padme asks if he's ever thought that they might be on the wrong side. However, the Separatists are taking over worlds by force left and right, they may not be as corrupt as the government of the Republic but they seem to have just as ignoble motives - how can Padme consider that Nute Gunray and the evil Count Dooku's fellow evils are the superior philosophies to that of the corrupt Republic? So it seems like the only philosophies at play in this movie are the Galactic Republic who we are shown to be corrupt and evil as well, the Confederation of Separatists who are shown to be evil and run by a corrupt organization, the Jedi are the closest thing to the "good guys" but they are not a universal philosophy that someone like Padme or Bail Antilles can follow, they are a religious order.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Who is the main hero of this movie, & who are the galactic "good guys" here?

Hmm. A lot to ponder there. If I have anything to add, it would be that George seems to be trying to make the very point that your question brings up. That being that it's all a matter of perspective when it comes to judging what is good and what is evil.

The OT gave us a very clear deliniation regarding who was good and who was bad. But the Prequels, and specifically ROTS, more or less try to express (in a very weak manner) that it isn't always so clear which side one should be on. I think that was the point Lucas was trying to bluntly get across with Padme's line about sides and Anakin's line about the Jedi being evil. Nobody is quite sure what the motives on each side are anymore nor why there is a war...much like some of us in the audience.

So after looking back at ROTS with this question in mind, if there is any sense of perspective in it, it appears as though the story is being told from the point of view of Obi Wan more than anyone else. While we merely watch as Anakin mopes around making bad choices, it is with Obi Wan that the audience can get a sense of empathy with as he appears to be the only one getting a grasp of the situation before anyone else. He takes the personal time to talk with Anakin more than Mace or Yoda. He flies around the galaxy finding the pieces of the puzzle. The only secret that he isn't privy to first is the secret identity of Palpatine, yet he does suspect it before anyone else seems to.

So if I had to pin the label of "story hero" on anyone in ROTS and/or the Prequels in general, it would be Obi Wan. This is much more HIS story than Anakin's. Then once ANH roles around, he hands the torch off to Luke and it becomes Luke's story. So in the end, not a shred of this is really about Anakin at all. He winds up just being another interesting character in the overall saga of a Republic gone bad.

Re: Who is the main hero of this movie, & who are the galactic "good guys" here?

I think it really depends on the scale that you look at issue at. At one level you could say that Sidious is the central charater in his quest to return the sith empire of old to power. Outlining the ways and principles of his faith and interworkings throughout the new trilogy. On another level you could say that there is no main hero.. that it is really a conglomerative effort to tie loose ends and set the stage for the original trilogy. On a third level you could say it was a statment of the American people and the world againt a man named Bush Jr.

It all depends on perspective. as has been said but tempered with the abilty to be open minded to other angles and potienal views.

One thing still bothers me though. Kashyyyk. It was my understanding that the Transoshans sold the wookies into slavery to the Empire. Does not make sense now with the way he did ep. 3. But the clone wars were supposed to be inclusive of the Mandalorian forces, and it was not.... The man baffles me sometimes.
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

Anakin is a hero for the first half of the movie while Obi-Wan and Yoda are heroic throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Anakin is a hero for the first half of the movie while Obi-Wan and Yoda are heroic throughout.
    You said Anakin for the first half... In your eyes, does he then become an anti-hero from that point? Or does he become a delusioned hero due to his rebirth in Ep 6?
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

I dont think there is a hero. It basically sets up the birth of the Hero(Luke) for the OT. Obi-Wan could have been a hero if he would have finished Anakin and not left him for dead. It could have ended there basically.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

There is no main hero because this SW is like the first three an ensamble cast/story.

Now to the funny stuff:
    If this was a true Samuel L. Jackson movie: the M-F word would have appeared at least five times; when he is KA he speaks only Jive and Ebonics (ie. Dig it! I'll bust a cap!); college graduate and the way he is off screen SLJ makes an appearance while wearing his trademark glasses and backwards golf cap; more m-f words come out; he KA some more; and he saves the universe and gets Amidala at the end!
    Maury: The DNA evidence has come back.... and LUKE.... He is your father!!!!
    Luke: NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MaquisWarrior
    There is no main hero because this SW is like the first three an ensamble cast/story.
    You should have stopped there. That's pretty much what I was thinking.

The thing that I like about the OT, is that there are these different story lines running along that cross every now and then. You get many heroes and villains, and sometimes characters like Han (back when he'd shot first anyway) assume kind of a duel role.

The first two films from the PT got away from this, but it's obvious that Lucas really forced himself to revisit this way of story telling for ROTS. To me, there is only one real villain all along -- Palpatine. Other than that, we have a variety of characters that all see themselves as doing the "right thing," but it's not until episode IV that we see a "true" hero -- Luke.
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bossk77
    I think it really depends on the scale that you look at issue at. At one level you could say that Sidious is the central charater in his quest to return the sith empire of old to power. Outlining the ways and principles of his faith and interworkings throughout the new trilogy. On another level you could say that there is no main hero.. that it is really a conglomerative effort to tie loose ends and set the stage for the original trilogy. On a third level you could say it was a statment of the American people and the world againt a man named Bush Jr.

It all depends on perspective. as has been said but tempered with the abilty to be open minded to other angles and potienal views.

One thing still bothers me though. Kashyyyk. It was my understanding that the Transoshans sold the wookies into slavery to the Empire. Does not make sense now with the way he did ep. 3. But the clone wars were supposed to be inclusive of the Mandalorian forces, and it was not.... The man baffles me sometimes.
    B77, techincally the Mandalorians are the clones because they like the Sith were just dwindled down to Jango Fett and possibly Durge who are Mandalorian in name only. It's like Klingons on Star Trek or Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica. The Mandalorians conquered many systems and imposed their culture on those planets. Through many factors actual Mandalorians are extinct. There was an SW Insider this year that covered it; the one with Clone Wars on the cover. To everyone else, you think of Palpy as Dubbya because of the scene where he become Emperor for the "safety of the Republic" and the line "So freedom ends with applause"(paraphrase) is thrown out by Padme. This is because FREEDOM DAY (9/11) is still fresh in our minds. Also notice that Padme almost looks like the Statue of Liberty, or the "walking liberty" woman on the old $1 coins in that scene.

So my fellow Americans, if you haven't done this by now, every day should be Memorial Day. Everytime you write in this forum, or go to work, drink beer, watch Star Wars ad nasuem or whatever floats your boat, a fallen hero is there with you. A soldier from any war, an FDNY firefighter, or even the guy who said "Let's Roll" on THAT DAY is on your shoulder wearing a giant smile sharing in your happiness because he/she knows you are here enjoying your life and theirs too. There is no greater force than that. That is probably what GL meant when Obi-Wan appeared to Luke in ESB and ROTJ.
    Last edited by MaquisWarrior; 05-30-2005 at 05:35 AM.
    Maury: The DNA evidence has come back.... and LUKE.... He is your father!!!!
    Luke: NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!

Personally I see Obi-Wan as the hero of the film and Anakin as the bad guy.

Obi-Wan, stays the course. He has great personal conflict in the film and does what is right despite his personal feelings. He confronts Anakin after he has turned to the darkside and ends up defeating him. He wins the battle but loses the war. This gives Obi-Wan the greatest personal conflict, aside from Anakin, yet he overcomes it without falling to the darkside.

Anakin on the other hand turns to the darkside and slaughters countless Jedi, including kids. He gives in to his feelings and is consumed by the darkside. He has personal conflict and ends up becoming evil. He is certainly no hero.

Sure Palpatine is the baddest bad guy, but ultimatly the story is about Anakin.

The OT gave us a very clear deliniation regarding who was good and who was bad.
    I disagree somewhat. Sure Luke saves his father from the darkside, making him a hero. However, it is Vader/Anakin (the "bad guy") who destroys the Emperor and in doing so saves Luke. I see Vader/Anakin as the hero in ROTJ. Otherwise Luke would have died and the Emperor probably would have won.

As for the War, it's all politics and there is really no clear good or bad on either side, just large doses of both. Certainly both sides have corrupt leaders. Like I said, it's all politics.
    May the force be with you.