Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

The 12 inch line is dead....

Yep. Sad to say it, but it's dead. I know there's no official word from Hasbro yet, but I just know that there won't be any more 12'' figures. From Hasbro, at least. Why is this, you ask? Not enough demand for them, or so they say. I don't understand that. There's plenty of demand right now! I haven't seen any 12 inch Ultimate Villain Vaders or Grievous since April! Has Hasbro stopped shipping these out or what? Plus, they've completely checked out with making new figures. They've denied a ROTS Obi-Wan. There are no other 12'' ROTS plans or any other 12'' SW plans, for that matter. Plus, they've been very shallow on figure choices. We only got 4 12'' figures from them last year: Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, and Chewbacca. This is very sad to me, as they've had some great figures over the years, specifically Jango Fett and Count Dooku. It seems that Hasbro has lost all faith in the 12 inch figures. I just hope that this line may live on in some way. What do you guys think?
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Re: The 12 inch line is dead....

Quote Originally Posted by General_Grievous
    Yep. Sad to say it, but it's dead. I know there's no official word from Hasbro yet, but I just know that there won't be any more 12'' figures. From Hasbro, at least. Why is this, you ask? Not enough demand for them, or so they say. I don't understand that. There's plenty of demand right now! I haven't seen any 12 inch Ultimate Villain Vaders or Grievous since April! Has Hasbro stopped shipping these out or what? Plus, they've completely checked out with making new figures. They've denied a ROTS Obi-Wan. There are no other 12'' ROTS plans or any other 12'' SW plans, for that matter. Plus, they've been very shallow on figure choices. We only got 4 12'' figures from them last year: Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, and Chewbacca. This is very sad to me, as they've had some great figures over the years, specifically Jango Fett and Count Dooku. It seems that Hasbro has lost all faith in the 12 inch figures. I just hope that this line may live on in some way. What do you guys think?
    I loved the 12 inch line... and i think they were finally going the right way when they released the Bossk, IG wave. But then they went mundane again with the selections they made. People dont want another Obi or lame jedi per say... they want more Aliens like a Snaggletooth, bounty hunters like Dengar, Driods like a Imp Probe droid and in some cases even EU stuff like a Dark Trooper or Mara Jade. Who wouldnt like to complete a 12 in cantina scene? As of now i agree that the line is dead, with better selections and better craftman ship on the units i think they could bring the line back with a bang... See the new 12in Grevious for an example of poor handywork. I need not say more.
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

i'm still wondering why the ROTS Dooku hasn't been released yet. it might have been taken out of the second wave. i think it was supposed to be released with the two jedis'. they should at least release it.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

Who said the 12" line was dead? No it's not. Here is an EPIII Obi Wan.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/phot.../akr.sized.jpg
    http://media.militaryphotos.net/phot.../aks.sized.jpg

Well, its not made by Hasbroke. But its an Obi Wan from EPIII.
    If anyone is interested please contact us at Kryart_Studios@yahoo.com
    You can also find us on eBay under Kryart_Studios.

I've seen plenty of the Ultimate Villian Anakins in my area. Likewise was Palpatine and the clones. Not to many Grevious, but I have seen a few (probably returns).
    I just sold my entire 12" collection on ebay. The bottom line on the 12" line for me is this; they cost to much (I especially think this of the Ultimate Anakin), and I'm sick of the old GI Joe body. If they would have made more of the line like the AOTC Dooku, I think it would have faired better. It's hard enough to keep up with the 3 3/4" line with all the stinking exclusives! Also, I think it was incredibly stupid for Hasbro to not release any heros in the first wave. I know that there's alot of dark side happy forum users here, but you must realize that not every collector, or child is that nuts about the bad guys!
    Especially in this movie. Hey, I'm sorry to see the line go, I would much rather see the "Force Battlers" get the axe. But Hasbro only has them selves to blame for it. They never listen to the fans, and except on rare occasion, they kept putting out crap. I've decided to just save my money for overpriced 3 3/4" exclusives instead (like the shuttle or the clone sets).

I've seen a few of the Ultimate Villain Anakins and Grievous's lately, lots of the Emperor, not many of the Clone though, and he was the easiest to find originally. I've been decrying the line's death for several years now, but Hasbro keeps putting out more product after a while. I think the allure of using the generic GI Joe 12" body is just too enticing to Hasbro, using that generic body concept is largely what made them the #2 toymaker in the US. Unfortunately, what Hasbro sees in costcutting procedures ends up hampering the rest of the production and thus the possibility for great-quality outfits and headsculpts and SCALE (sorry, but the GI Joe body and head designs are always out of scale, I can't deny it, they're forced-perspective figures) and paint and materials and accessories (which is what drew me to the line in the first place). What I don't understand is how Hasbro can look at their product, then look at someone like Sideshow who makes 12" figures from various licenses with much smaller runs for only a few bucks more but MUCH better quality, and not see that the problem isn't the fans but the product they're offering.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Exactlly! But they could still use the "new style" GI Joe body,and savjust as much money, while offering a better quality figure (thus saving the line?) Honestly why did they have to use the "old joe" body for the Ultimate Anakin? They already have the mold for the new style body, they used it on the Dooku, Imperial Officer, and the VOTC Trooper (those are the ones I know of.) Why did they feel the need to go back?! It's sad because the costumes were great, but those bodies and huge heads just plain suck! Add to that the overpriced pieces (like Anakin), the hard to find exclusives (Chewie), and figures that can't even hold their weapons (Grevious, Chewie, & many more) and it's easy to see why this line has been a big dissapointment for collectors! That is unless your Hasbro.

This is totally a guess, but perhaps the huge heads don't look so good on the smaller new Joe bodies, I haven't really tested this theory yet.

Ok, actually, now that I think about it, they probably did this because Vader is a fairly big guy and the new Joe body wouldn't fill out the suit very well.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think it would justify the $20 odd dollar cost if they put voice chips in each 12 incher. The emperor and Fett special had it and i think it would enhance the line back to coolness... Except they would have to make a windu with Pulp quotes.
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

I never cared for the voice modules in the 12"ers, they always got pressed by the figures' arms because the buttons were so poorly located. Still, Hasbro has a couple 12" talking GI Joes on the shelves right now, they both move their mouths and say lots of pieced-together lines, and the softer or harder you push the button, the quieter or louder they say the line (and not just volume, but their inflections change), and most importantly they're $20 and $15 I believe, so the price is possible, especially if they dumb down the design and kill the opening mouth thing.