Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

OWEN, BERU, and the BABY watch the twin suns set.

240 EXT. TATOOINE-SUNSET

OBI-WAN rides up to the moisture farm homestead on an EOPIE. He dismounts, takes the BABY out of a papoose on his back, and walks toward AUNT BERU, who walks over to greet him. They talk for a moment, and OBI-WAN turns the baby over to the young homesteader. AUNT BERU walks to UNCLE OWEN who is standing on the ridge near the homestead. OBI-WAN leaves as OWEN, BERU, and the BABY watch the twin suns set.

IRIS OUT. END TITLES.

Pretty, isn't it?

I have to admit, I couldn't quell a laugh the first time I saw that shot of Owen looking out at the sunset. OBVIOUSLY, this was another "in joke" of Lucas trying to "tie the trilogies together." An "in joke" that hasn't happened yet if you are watching the saga in episode order.

But never mind that. That shot has been bugging me and I finally figured out why. What that original shot intended, with Luke, was to illustrate his wanderlust. It's a romantic vision with the hero staring off into the horizon, his future wide open with possibilities never dreamed of before. This is what Luke represented in the story and why having him stare off into the sunset was completely appropriate.

Flash forward (or back) to Owen doing the same thing. Only problem is, that's not who that character is. We know that Owen doesn't have that kind of wanderlust, that he's not a dreamer who wishes for adventure and excitement. He's the guy who's brother goes off to seek fame and fortune while he (Owen) stays close to home making an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. Then he becomes a crotchety old man telling kids to get off his lawn.

So given that, this shot of him romantically staring off into the sunset is really really inappropriate and just downright silly.

Re: OWEN, BERU, and the BABY watch the twin suns set.

Yes, because no one, ever has just watched a sunset for it's beauty. People only watch sunsets if they are suffering from wanderlust. That is the only appropriate moment in which to watch a sunset.

I just thought he was staring off into the distance wondering what the future is going to bring.

I have to admit, that was one of my favorite scenes in ROTS.
    Last edited by ZachAttack; 05-31-2005 at 09:02 AM.

I thought he was just watching the damn suns set.

Yeah I just thought of it as him looking at the sunsets same way Luke did. I'm sure Owen did it often when Luke was growing up and probably with him which is why Luke does it.
    "I have you now."

Just because Owen is a salty old coot in ANH doesn't mean he's salty in E III. I don't remember much of an issue with him in E II. Besides he's just simply watching the suns set with his new family. And I think its nice in the 'next film' we will see that little tyke looking at that same horizon.

Jim Jam

People like Owen who are hard working and focused on their day to day jobs should be rounded up and moved to planets without suns so they don't have to be bothered to look at such a wretched part of nature. Put him in a deep dark mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    People like Owen who are hard working and focused on their day to day jobs should be rounded up and moved to planets without suns so they don't have to be bothered to look at such a wretched part of nature. Put him in a deep dark mine.
    Perhaps Caesar, Jabba the Hutt should purchase a Monty Burns Sunblocking Machine then those pesky suns are no longer an issue?

I agree with the first post...

While he may HAVE been watching the "sunset for it's beauty", and someone watching a sunset isn't all that big a deal - the CONTEXT it was done in, OBVIOUSLY referencing the scene w/Luke in ANH - was peaking pretty high on my "Cheese-O-Meter". As I said in another thread, had the movies been made in chronological order, I think we would have seen VERY DIFFERENT films for the prequels. There was SO MUCH of the Original Trilogy referenced in the prequels, and much of it, I hate to say, was silly and didn't lend much to the story. It was done for the outright nostalgic value and not much else...

i would have rather seen the young anakin staring into the twin sunset at one point in episode 1(maybe the day before the race). to me, that would have been more of a bridging moment in the two trilogys. it would have a better feeling since it's the Skywalkers that are looking into the same twin suns set.
    Owen should have told Obi-wan never to come back and walked away w/ Beru and Luke towards their home with the sunsets in the background. it would still give the same feeling, but not with the "trying to force the OT in your face" feeling. but hey, thats just my thoughts.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist