Finally reading the Junior Jedi Knights series

. . . And I'm glad I am!

The more recent young readers series have been excellent, so I had pretty low expectations for the adventures of young Anakin Solo. After all, the books have six of the worst covers ever created for SW novels. And Ikrit, well, until you get to know him, he looks like the biggest cutesy-wootsy fest this side of the Ewok village.

I zipped through 1-3 and half of 4 yesterday. These books are awesome! I'm not sure if they're still in print or not, but they're easily obtainable used or in closeout bookstores. I highly recommend them.

Surprisingly enough, aside from the standard assumption that prequel-era beings were selected to be Jedi Knights after they were adults, there don't seem to be any big continuity problems. That's a lot more than I can say for just about any of the adult books from the same time period.

Judge these books not by the covers (or, like me, you'll never read them).

Ikrit rules!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Finally reading the Junior Jedi Knights series

After ROTS now, there are clearer reasons why Vader would keep Kenobi's blade, as well as why a globe would have spirits of children in it.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Except they're Massassi kids.

I'm noticing a couple of minor continuity blips as I go along. Ikrit definitely grew up on his home planet (don't recall the name, but it has a lot of k's and sh's in it) before becoming a Jedi. Unusual, but not unheard of, especially a few hundred years back. And Tahiri believes the Jedi from her vision was her grandfather. I suppose since it's not confirmed by a second source (yet), that she could be mistaken and it was her great-uncle or something.

What is up with the love affair Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta have with Tionne, though? She sucks! She's just barely a step up from Callista, and pales in comparison to even freakin' Waru on the scale of lame EU characters. Every time she shows up, I wish I was in the novel so I could punch her in the belly. And I wish Hasbro would release a figure of her so I could buy every one produced and blow them up with firecrackers.

Seriously, though, she's a billion times lamer than Ikrit is cool.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It was a good series, I might re-read them later.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush