Weekly Review: Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot

Suit up! It's time we set our sights on Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot. The first figure to feature a costume change, X-Wing Luke first released in 1979 on a 20 back card. Although there are no major variations to the figure, name under when many variations. With or without parenthesis, and the addition of Fighter. X-Wing Luke can be found on most major card back types 20 and higher.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Luke Skywalker X-Wing Pilot

To show you how dumb I was as a kid, I used to think the black wavy lines just above his eyes was Luke's hair. Then later, I thought, "wait... he doesn't have black hair!"

Cool fig overall, very versatile. The magic of markers allowed you to decorate the helmet and make him whichever pilot you liked.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

<------ Just look at my icon!

Not really a great likeness of Luke, so he made a nice generic pilot. Tough to find these today without a lot of paintwear on the helmet and vest area.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke Skywalker
    Not really a great likeness of Luke, so he made a nice generic pilot. Tough to find these today without a lot of paintwear on the helmet and vest area.
    The generic nature of this figure is one of the things that I've really grown to dislike about it. This was the only Luke figure I had as a kid and because he looked so generic I felt like it wasn't Luke. But I still played with him a lot. All the limbs are loose, there's heavy paintwear on most of the figure (mostly from reenacting the Wampa dragging him around), and there's even some yellowing. For those reasons I don't have a photo of the loose figure.

One of the great this I did with this figure was to make a lightsaber. I used a green twist tie (no ROTJ wasn't out yet, but my mom didn't have any blue twist ties) for the blade and red one of the handle. I attached to the left hand, like Bespin Luke. It looked real good, but was a little flimsy. I replaced it a couple of times, but then my mom stopped buying the bags that came with the green ties .
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

This is one of my favorite figures. Pretty cool detail on this figure for the era.
    I also thought the black was hair and didn't realize otherwise till much later on.
    I do like that though as it does make it out to be like a generic figure, like the Hoth Rebel Soldier (who was also named Hoth Luke by me and my friends until Kenner made a specific figure for it).

This figure was cool because the blaster hand was kinda closed off to fit the blaster better (at least it was on some of them). I also liked the detail. Besides Boba Fett this was the best figure to come out of the 2nd wave by far. They made it obviously to go with the Xwing but I often wondered why it took them so long to make the Tie Fighter pilot (not until the 3rd wave of ESB figures).