Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Best Male Bassist Living....

Quote Originally Posted by Monstermile
    Didya ever get a chance to see Cliff live Bossk?? He was a madman on stage. Incredible is all I can say. I'm glad I got a chance to see him perform before he died.
    Alas, no i was going to see him and i got the Pox...

i did see Newstead. choke.... Lemmy is good and so is Van Stienstine or what ever his name is from the Misfits.

The defining line of a basist is do you sit and play root notes or do you write your own and go from there and improvise. The answer is an easy one. BTW the Bassist from Mudvayne is pretty good as well.

Long live the bassist from MAN O WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FEEL THE POWER OF MY SWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

1. Abraham Laboriel
    2. John Pattitucci
    3. Tommy Sims
    4. Billy Sheehan
    5. Randy Jackson (No I'm not joking, the Dawg can play!)
    6. Les Claypool
    7. Geddy

"The Tall Cool One," Tom Hamilton.

While not a bass player persay Viv Savage layed down some nasty bass lines when filling in for Nigel Tufnel on Big Bottom!

Jim Jam

Of course he did, as he said "sure, I've got two hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Bossk77
    Long live the bassist from MAN O WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FEEL THE POWER OF MY SWORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Joey DeMaio (sp??)
    That guy is incredible- I've seen Maiden live a few times and Harris is good, REAL good, and Lemmy is a TRUE powerhouse, but I would consider him a rock bassist- he doesn't flaunt his chops like he could if he weren't the leader of MOTORHEAD (IMO the only performer in MOTORHEAD who gets to show his true talent is Mickey D- even Phil Campbell is amazing but with the arrangements the way they are you'd never know it) DeMaio takes the cake, he's like the 6 million dollar bassist- when he plays that crazy piccolo bass you can't even see his hands, and he has the full bag of wacky techniques that he can actually pull off and he fully understands how much is too much- his structures are insanely complex and yet easily accessible, so alas, my vote must be for him....
    In the deceased column, it'd be Jaco Pastorius (a jazz guy but most of this list would not exist without what he did for electric bass in general)

Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

the first ones who come to mind are:

flea - when he wants, he can be very versatile.
    les claypool
    bootsy collins
    fieldy from korn - whether ya like the music or not, he helped bring bass to the front of metal instead of the one repeating note bass lines like you find in old priest.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick
    fieldy from korn - whether ya like the music or not, he helped bring bass to the front of metal instead of the one repeating note bass lines like you find in old priest.
    Uhhhhh.... KORN didn't do anything for anyone, the bassist from Deep Purple beat them goofballs to it by about 20 years
    All KORN did was prove that even the term "Metal" can have shameful connotations
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

imo its got to be Geddy Lee
    come one, come all/chalk your eyes/blood for gall/this isnít the same world/your children are offerings/bow down/give thanks for their scant sufferings/chalk your eyes/the bigger the god so small the man/just this wooden horse remains

is this what you fought for?/green order/green order

Peter Steele is awesome, and it made my day to see the thread start out with him since i have been a huge Type O fan since the beginning. Still, I have to go with Les Claypool. Having seen Les play in several of his different bands, and each time i am completely amazed.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."