Strapping Young Lad???

Anyone know anything about this band?? Just heard them on the DirecTV metal music channel. Which I might add is a great source for hearing otherwise unheard bands. They have a sound very similar to Mnemic. Are they worth a buy??

Re: Strapping Young Lad???

Yes, if you like having your ears assaulted by the brutal heaviness of a really heavy thing (little SYL album nod there).

It took me a few listens to get into them. When I first heard them I was sorta meh about it. Awesome music, but not my type of vocals. But then I kept coming across SYL everywhere on the 'net, and well . . . I have Devin as my avatar now, so I suppose those vocals are not so much bother anymore.

Oh I'll just say it, SYL kick ***. It's pure metal through and through, give them more of a listen.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

i suggest you look into their self-titled album "SYL". great brutal
    industrial/death metal. they also just released a new album "Alien", which i might add, is amazing. and it's one of the only good things to come out of canada.

fettfield: nice reference to their older album "Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing". pretty much sums up how the band sounds.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

SYL is awesome, and to be more specific Devin Townsend is genius. I would say start with their latest release Alien, and work your way back through the catalogue. They also have a DVD out, "For those aboot to rock". Worth checking out. Let me also say, that the Devin Townsend Band is a must. (Just in case you dont know Devin is the singer, creator, brain, and everything in SYL) Pick up "Accelerated Evolution", which is their latest release. The new DTB album should be out in 2006.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

The song is on again. It is called Love? from Alien. So if I like this song I should like the rest of their stuff??

Yep. Love? was the song I used to recently introduce my brother into the world of SYL and it worked well.

Pick up Alien or the self-titled album, I'm hard pressed to say which one to buy over the other. SYL I have known longer, but Alien is fresh and contains Love?...Difficult to say, but either one is a good buy.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Yes Lad is pretty good, but they have not come to town yet.... sigh... Oregon gets skipped a lot for good concerts... or they make you drive to the armory.
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...