Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

"Wild Bantha Chase"

On his way out the door, Ober's tells Anakin that his trip to find Grievous will probably be just another "wild Bantha chase."

So, aren't colloquialisms like that usually based on fairly well known "elements" of life? Like here on Earth, geese are pretty common. "Penny for your thoughts" will be heard here in the States primarily because we have pennies. For the same reason, you won't hear that saying in, say, Malaysia. I don't know for certain, but it's likely that Jamaicans don't say "wild goose chase" because they don't often get to experience the joy of a goose in their lives.

So given that, just how common are Bantha's anyway? Why would Obers say that? Isn't Tatooine one of those out of the way places that isn't even part of the Republic? And for that matter, the only experience Obers has with the planet is when Qui Gon entered the screenplay and stole his thunder. Obers was left sitting on the ship twiddling his thumbs.

Are Bantha's that common around the Galaxy that they'd actually have a "slang" saying like "wild Bantha chase"? Or is this just going to be written off by Lucas Worshippers as "nitpicking"?

Re: "Wild Bantha Chase"

Good question, I've laughed everytime I've heard that line. Well the "Lucas Worshipper" in me would say Anner's has told Obi Wan stories that involve banthas. It seemed to be more 'natural' then when Captain Panaka said in TPM "We'll be sitting ducks."

Jim Jam

It caught my ear as well and while it is indeed goofy I like it because of Ewan's delivery. MUCH, MUCH better than that sitting ducks line.

Jim Jam I thought the same thing, maybe Ani told Tales of Tatooine in that 15 years or whatever that he was Obi's sidekick. Obi-Wan was probably sitting around the campfire drunk on Ansion and started harping on Anakin, saying "dude what the **** is up with that planet you lived on? I barely stepped off the ship to call you a pathetic life form to Qui-Gon's face and he was riding this big stupid looking thing called an Eeopie."

so I assume Anakin probably replied with "Master, that ain't ****, you should see these big things roaming around the desert called Banthas. Huge, beastly things. Let me tell you this much, if you ever maim me and leave me for dead because I turn to the Dark Side, ride an Eeopie over to my step-brother's to drop off my kid because you do NOT want to chase down a Bantha to give you a lift."

Isn't it possible that Banthas are pretty common throughout the galaxy? It's not like any of their physical characteristics lend themselves solely to desert living. Or has the EU established that Banthas only reside on Tattooine? Did one save Boba Fett from the Pit of Carkoon and later befriend him and be the best man in his wedding? Wow, that'd be a dumb story......
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I like the line a lot. Ewan had a good casual delivery of it. It sounded great!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Are Bantha's that common around the Galaxy that they'd actually have a "slang" saying like "wild Bantha chase"?
    Either that, or Obi-Wan said it, knowing Anakin would get the joke. And like others said, it was better than the duck reference (or the dog reference by Threepio in AOTC).
    Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Or is this just going to be written off by Lucas Worshippers as "nitpicking"?
    Bingo!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Either that, or Obi-Wan said it, knowing Anakin would get the joke. And like others said, it was better than the duck reference (or the dog reference by Threepio in AOTC).
    Bingo!
    Dog reference???? I don't recall that.

Jim Jam

Perhaps Wild Bantha Chase is a very common phrase on Tattooine. In the 10-12 years or whatever it is that Obi has been with Ani, maybe Ani says that all the time. So Obi just jokes it back to him. Its corny, but funny. Its nothing as bad as the horrible 3P0 circus that happens in Clones. This is such a Drag etc. Thats my lowpoint for the entire series I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Dog reference???? I don't recall that.

Jim Jam
    I believe he's referring to the Geonosian Arena battle where 3P0's head is on the battle droid body and yells "Die Jedi dogs!".

And yes that is a dumb line, just like the "sitting ducks" line.

But I did think the Obi-Wan bantha reference was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantha274
    I believe he's referring to the Geonosian Arena battle where 3P0's head is on the battle droid body and yells "Die Jedi dogs!".

And yes that is a dumb line, just like the "sitting ducks" line.

But I did think the Obi-Wan bantha reference was funny.
    Thats right, thanks Bantha. And you're also correct that was a stupid line, but I do like the 'wild bantha chase' alot!

Jim Jam