Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serenity

Serenity

Well seeing as how ROTS has been released its time to get excited about another Sci-Fi picture and I know there are people out there who enjoyed the short lived but quality television show Firefly. So I figured I'd start a Serenity thread considering the trailer is now up. It looks really good and its nice to see the entire cast from the television show return. From what I've seen so far this should be a fun movie.

http://www.serenitymovie.com/
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Re: Serenity

This does look very good. I finally saw the trailer in the theater this weekend at Batman and it was awesome to see it on the big screen! I didn't get into the show when it was on TV, but bought the DVDs and was hooked. What a fantastic show.

My friend saw the movie in one of the advanced screenings, and he liked it. He's a huge fan of the series, as am I. I actually had him read this thread for spoilers before I looked at it, but he cleared it.

I'm really looking forward to it. I tried watching the show on television, but Fox treated it as Fox does. The DVDs really allowed this show to shine, and that is definitely where I got hooked on it.

Yeah its unfortunate how Firefly was treated when it ran on television in 2002. The failure can be placed squarely on Fox's shoulders too. Playing the episodes out of order and in sporadic fashion is a sure way to kill a series before it gets off the ground. Especially when that series has a strong sense of continuity and story arcs that branched throughout each consecutive episode. Luckily, enough people liked what they saw even though Fox only aired 11 out of the 14 episodes. That and the success of the complete series on DVD were enough to give Joss Whedon a shot at his movie directing debut with Serenity.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Yea, I am really psyched about this movie. The series finale of Firefly was one of the best I have ever seen of any show. I hope those were the space baddies(in the trailer that seemed like monstrous zombies)(can't remember their names; maulers, marauders ?) that they were always afraid of that would chase them and had those weird looking ships with the spikes on them.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 06-22-2005 at 01:11 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"

My friend recommended the series to me on DVD and I bought it sight unseen. One of the best investments I've made. In my dreams the movie will be such a huge hit, that FOX will start making fresh episodes. Hey it worked for Family Guy right?

I heard they are playing all the episodes on Sci-Fi before the movie comes out. For those of you too cheap to buy an AWESOME tv series on DVD, program your Tivos CAUSE THIS SHOW ROCKS LIKE VINTAGE STONES!!! I give it 5 out of 4 stars.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I saw the trailer before Bats and I must admit I wasn't all that impressed by it . . . but in fairness I never did see Firefly so I wasn't familiar with the material. I'll definitely give it a try though, and hope it's fun.

I think you'll like it Caesar, it has a great premise, interesting characters and it's blend of both the science fiction and western genres makes it pretty unique. And for the record I don't think the trailer makes the film look all that great, I particularly hated the rock music that was used. Since I watched the tv series and I'm familiar with the material it excited me, but if I didn't know anything about this movie beyond seeing the trailer I probably wouldn't think it looked like anything special either.

If you want to get the most out of the movie though I highly recommend watching the 14 episode DVD box set first. The series and the movie are basically one big story so it would definitely be worth your time. I own the set and have watched it straight through once but even I plan on watching the entire series again before the film.

That was my next question Hellboy but thanks for already answering it, "do I need to watch the TV show before I see the film?"

I'll check it out, I am intrigued . . . honestly the only thing I knew about Firefly was that Joss Whedon did it and it didn't last long. I got a free promo T-shirt a few years ago at Wizard World but that's the extent of my knowledge. Oh yeah, when does the movie come out ?

It doesn't come out until September 30th, so you have plenty of time to catch up.