Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Painting With Sharpies (Problems, successes, etc.)

If no one objects, I'd like to start a thread about this specific method of customizing.

To begin, I've got a wee little problem. I have been practicing on a spare clone trooper shoulder pad, and I can't get good coverage with the Sharpie. There are always lighter and darker areas that are dramatically different from each other. What should I do to get consistent coverage?

Re: Painting With Sharpies (Problems, successes, etc.)

Try going over the exact same spots with a fixed number of passes (e.g. - three "coats" of Sharpie).
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

I'm wondering if Florida's near-liquid atmosphere is striking again. I tried letting it dry for two days, and applied a second coat, but it seemed to look more or less exactly the same. I'll just continue trying. Longer drying time, more coats.

Edit: deleted a stray letter t.

1) Go to "any craft store"
    2) Buy some nice cheap paint (any brand like folk art or apple barrel, high priced model paints are worth the $$ unless you are pianting a model) and any kind of blades that you can use to add detail/clean up with
    3) PAINT your clone(s), clean it up and add detail!!!!!
    Now you can go home and paint- and if you mess it up you can clean up your edges or what not with your "blades". You can also buy paint remover if you want to strip the paint off a fig. Piant also comes in a kazillon colors, AND you can mix them. You cant do that with a sharpie.
    Last edited by mastermatt24; 06-05-2005 at 11:29 PM.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

Quote Originally Posted by mastermatt24
    1) Go to Micheals
    2) Buy some nice cheap paint and a little box set o' exacto knives ($9.99)
    3) PAINT your clone(s)!!!!!
    Now you can go home and paint- and if you mess it up you can clean up your edges or what not with you exactos. You can also buy paint remover if you want to strip the paint off a fig. Piant also comes in a kazillon colors, AND you can mix them. You cant do that with a sharpie.

1) And if he doesn't have a Michaels in his area?
    2) What brand? What type? Acrylic, enamel? Have you had success with a certain type? Problems?
    3) Sounds like he already did.

One of the biggest problems I've had with buying the normal model paints has been the paint not drying. Especially black gloss. Personally, I like my customized figure to retain some articulation and playability. I like to be able to still touch them and pose them.

I have edited my previous post for vewing pleasure, and so no one will get confused with the absence of a Micheals in their area. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta Beast
    One of the biggest problems I've had with buying the normal model paints has been the paint not drying. Especially black gloss.
    None of my cheap-o piants have never not dried.
    Solution: Switch paint.... Use a fan (???)?
    Personally, I like my customized figure to retain some articulation and playability. I like to be able to still touch them and pose them.
    Ive also never had a figure not retain its articulation after customizng. Ive only had a problem with some of the weathering coming off when "touching" them because I have yet to find a good clear coat (I have clear dull coat but its not dull- its still semi shiny) to protect it with.
    Solution: Dont put globs of paint of joints and/or glue joints together. Besides- why would there be a problem with articulation if you are using sharpies?????
    hurray for birthdays!

3) Sounds like he already did.
    You cant paint with sharpies.
    hurray for birthdays!

You cant paint with sharpies.
    Yes, you can. It doesn't work as well for larger areas, but for smaller detailing, it can work.

In reference to the question about loss of articulation; I was referring to the fact that some customizers, when "cannibalizing" parts, will then glue pieces together to form the figure they want. Myself, I have actually cut off one figure's hands and fastened them to a different pair of arms by using safety pins that I had cut down, and drilling very small holes with a micro thin dremel bit into the plastic to hold the pin. Resulting in a custom figure with articulated wrist. It was a rodian Jedi by the way. Greedo's head and hands, Mace Windu's chest, cloak, & lower tunic, and "Sebastian Shaw" Anakin's arms, and legs. With some darker green to the head, & hands and some flat black paint on the boots and under tunic.

None of my cheap-o piants have never not dried.
    Solution: Switch paint....
    Dude . . to many double negatives, does not compute....

I'm sure your saying that you've never had a problem with the paint dryingso let me make sure we're talking about the same thing.

I've gone into a Wal-mart, went to the models and paints and bought whatever brand it is they sell (I think it's Testor), black gloss, took it home, applied it to my figure, and after apx. two days of not touching it it was still tacky and retained figureprints. So, was it something I did wrong, should I have used a thinner maybe, or prepared the surface with a primer? Or, should I just be looking for a different product, like an acrylic base or something else? Or did it just need more air movement, like your fan suggestion, does that really make that much of a difference? I haven't tried that approach, so I really don't know. What about heat, is there a way to try to bake the paint on?

Usally those glossy paints only work best on metals. If your looking for a shiny/glossy look then paint it regular black and spray it with testors spray clear gloss. You get the same effect without the hassle.
    hurray for birthdays!