Thread: Custom Decals

Custom Decals

I have purchased the enhanced version of the Testors Custom Decal System software, so I can custom make decals and import designs into decal form. I don't know if anyone here has really played with the idea of putting water-slide decals on figures, but I am planning to do just that with some clones. Specifically, just as Neyo's legion only had that little red circular symbol, I'm thinking of doing another legion that is distinguished by a small symbol. I figured decals were the way to go. I also figured decals may be the way to go for the shocktroopers--at least for the forehead.

I'll share as I go throught the process. If anyone else has tried it and wants to share their experiences, please go ahead.

Edit: Now I'm fully aware you can use any program to design stickers and can print them out to decal paper purchased anywhere (again, please share experiences), but I personally can make a couple of quick recommendations about the Testors Product. Do not buy the (approximately) $7.99 set at discount stores. This set will not allow you to make custom graphics, nor will it allow you to import new graphics. It also only comes with a couple of clear sheets and a couple of white sheets of decal paper. Instead, if you want to go with Testors, go to http://www.decalgear.com/DG/ and click on the standard edition. This program will allow you to create and import. One warning though, buy the decal paper in either clear or white, because the standard edition on the site doesn't come with any.
    Last edited by Phantom-like Menace; 06-05-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Re: Custom Decals

There is a cool thread on FFURG that gives you a picture of the symbol on the Target Exclusive Clone Trooper:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfla...fpart=all&vc=1

If you pay close attention to the thread, a kind user points out that you must use the decal bonder with the Testors kit or your ink will run off when you put the decal in the water. A can of the decal bonder comes in the basic set you can find at Wal-Mart (that's where I've seen one), so I think I may not totally recommend against buying the basic set.

As soon as I get the decal bonder ( ) I will print out my decals, slap them on a Clone Trooper, dullcoat over them to keep them in place, and . . . provide no pictures, because I have no camera. Maybe eventually I will get a chance, but I will certainly relate the experience.

Also, someone on the page asks, but it's not answered: where do all of the symbols go on the Neyo-style (yes, I know the Target trooper is not accurate) troopers?

Well, I may have some time on my hands now that I've finally quit my second job. I've been ticking off things I need to do, and now that I've watched all of my brother's Family Guy DVDs and can finally return them, Star Wars customs has come up on my to do list.

I have managed to find the time in the last couple of months to do some experimental decal application. I've decided that dullcoating stickers on unpainted figures doesn't look very good, and as long as you don't plan to give them to a little kid to play with in the yard (or as long as you don't do it yourself), the decals are more than durable enough not to need it. However, I imagine if you're applying the decal to a painted area of a figure, you might as well dullcoat the sticker too.

At this time, I have the decals printed up (remember to set for photo quality) and I just need to spray the bonder on them. My free time tomorrow is being eaten by the fact that I need to go watch Serenity, but I will have some time Saturday to spray. I've got Monday off and the only obligations I have that day are the ones I make for myself, so hopefully by then I'll actually apply the decals to a #41 clone. Also, my new roommate has a digital camera, so it's possible I may have pictures.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

It's been a while, but I have finished a custom clone trooper using water-slide decals. After having finished the project, I think I will go against what I said earlier (maybe even for the final time) and say you should go ahead and either dullcoat or glosscoat the decals, depending on the surface effect you desire.

I had only a little problem with the decals. For some reason the one on his arm refused to cooperate, so I had to use all of my extra copies of that sticker, but I don't think it was for any special reason.

After I set up a digital camera, I plan to start a thread for the clone, and that thread will carry a link back to this one.

I am interested in seeing your results.
    [url=http://users.aol.com/psyclonetrooper/customs.html]My Customs[/url]
    [url=http://users.aol.com/psyclonetrooper/want.html]My Trade List[/url]

JEDIpartnr's Star Destroyer Playset stickers

I recently acquired a vintage playset from eBay for rather cheap. The adhesive on the stickers was getting a bit dry so I removed all of them before they just became to much to deal with. Once I had them cleaned up, I found a site that had the original sheet. Unfortunately, the sheet is a bit "too" cartoony for me so I decided to run the image through photoshop and pull actual bits from monitors and such from screengrabs. I altered the colours to not look so "happy" and replaced them with more greys, blacks and reds.

I also used real images of screens and grates to pop into the stickers as well.

Here are the results...

THE ORIGINALS

THE NECESSARY STICKERS
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

One odd thing I noticed when I first sealed the decals, was that there was a discoloration on the figure. Figuring it was old or contaminated with paint, I went out and got a new bottle of dullcote. The discoloration was still present, and it took me a moment to realize that the yellowing was the binding fluid being stripped off by the dullcote. It was a simple matter to scrape the surface discoloration off with an exacto.

psyclonetrooper,

I've spoken with my roommate, and the plan is that he'll dig out his digital camera tomorrow. So hopefully I should have some pictures taken and posted Wednesday, my next day off from work.

JEDIpartnr,

I assume you got those decals from erikstormtrooper.com. Great site! I'm looking forward to usuing some of his decals in my efforts.