Customizing Ep. 3 figures

Hey I just got back into customizing, after years of not collecting. You can check out my old website http://droidfactorycustoms.tripod.com

Anyway, I made a "super-articulated" Ep. 1 Obi-Wan last night using Ep. 1 Jedi Duel Obi-Wan lower arms/hands; POTJ Obi-Wan head, chest, pelvis, and upper arms, ROTS Ager Kolar legs and "skirt". The interesting thing is that the new ROTS figures are made from different material than the older POTF2/POTJ figures. Whereas the older figures have a hard plastic chest and pelvis (while the head/arms/legs are made from a soft rubber-like plastic); the ROTS figures was made entirely out of the softer rubber-like plastic. The pelvis articulation on Ager had a arrow-point head and looks as if maybe Hasbro "welded" the upper body of the figure first then just snapped the lower body into the figure.

When you go to "boil & pop" the figure as the usual customizing trick, with the Ager figure you can "pop" the entire lower torso from the upper body. I don't think its a hidden "spoiler-type" feature either; like his arms. I just think its a new way of making the figures.

Here is a quick recipe of the figure: boil /pop all pieces; used POTJ Obi-Wan head, chest, upper arms & pelvis; I split open the POTJ Obi-Wan pelvis and put Ager's legs into the pelvis. They fit pretty good. Trimmed off the plastic "skirt" from the belt of POTJ Obi-Wan, trimmed Ager's "skirt" down, glued all pieces together, then popped Ep. 1 Obi-Wan lower arms into POTJ Obi-Wan upper arms. The articulation at the waist is tight due to having the cloth skirt and the belt under the the pelvis/peg joint.

Now my sons and I have an Ep. 1 Obi-Wan Kenobi with the new ball-joint type knees. The boots on Ager Kolar are exactly like Ep. 1 Obi-Wan's except a darker shade of brown.

I've got many customizing projects in the works; so I will be working on an entirely new website soon and I'll post pics of the Obi-Wan then.
    Last edited by jlw; 06-09-2005 at 07:33 AM.