Hybrid View

Which FX saber should I get first?

Currently, I only have the Anakin AOTC FX lightsaber, and I've been meaning to get one of the new ones. Especially with the new features, and more realistic feel(not so bulky) from what I've heard. I'm just not sure if I want to get Mace Windu's saber, or Vaders 1st. Surfing around on Ebay, I see auctions for both of them that claim they are out of production. Now I know Ebayers tend to be full of ****, but can anyone tell me if one of them is about to go out of production? So I'd rush to get that one first.

I missed Luke's saber alltogether, now they can be had on Ebay for upwards of $300. Hopefully MR will make them again. Speaking of which, what FX sabers are being planned for the future? I'd kill to get a Darth Maul double bladed saber, as well as Dooku's.

Also, I'm selling my Anakin saber on Ebay to get a ROTS version. New features, plus it's also Luke's first lightsaber.
    Last edited by shadu widal; 06-11-2005 at 12:49 AM.

Re: Which FX saber should I get first?

Mace's is supposedly back in production, IIRC, and the new Vader one just started production so there's no way it's done at this point.

For me, no question, Vader's is the one, the blade color alone should tell you everything, Mace's is good but the blade color is off because of the lack of purple LEDs, Vader's is so key to how Star Wars looks, and if it uses the same hum pattern as the previous Vader FX, the first FX I ever got, then it's the best in the series so far because the spacing on the humming is so gritty and well-timed that you don't notice the slight looping that you get with the Luke ESB saber and the Mace saber (it's really minor on those though). I prefer hero to villain sabers, even the props, but the FX Vader saber is the way to go I feel, it just seems so RIGHT, like it's the king and the others are dukes and princes, they're all royalty but nobody can beat the king.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know what you think of it when you get the new one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Mace's is supposedly back in production, IIRC, and the new Vader one just started production so there's no way it's done at this point.
    The Mace Windu FX saber is back in production and will be released in the coming months. However, the Vader FX saber referred to in the other post IS out of production. That was the initial release--the Episode IV Darth Vader lightsaber. The one that was just released is the Episode V lightsaber. You can tell by the positioning of the black band where the activation switch is located. The new one (ESB) has it meeting the grip whereas the old discontinued one (ANH) has it moved up further so that it's between the grip and blade emitter.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

The Mace is getting a limited run from MR in response to the overinflated prices people have been selling them for on Ebay. It is an extremely limted re-run, so if you want one, preorder it right now, and I mean right this second. However, as previously statd, the blade is flawed as it has a very uneven color because it uses blue LEDs and a pink filter to achieve the purple color. For some reason, it causes patches and lines of various colors running throughout the blade that don't make it as aesthetically pleasing as the blue or red blades. Another thing is that it uses the older design (like the Luke ESB and Vader ANH) which uses six batteries and has an even wider body han the current Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB sabers. It's still not as wide as the Anakin AOTC, but it is still wwider than the current ROTS line (which is stil wider than their LE counterparts).

The Luke ESB and the Vader ANH sabers ended their run early this year, so you can still find them on the good ole' interweb for somewhat decent prices if you look around.

As mentioned, the Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB sabers are out currently.

In Novemeber, around the time of the ROTS DVD release, there is going to be Obi-Wan ROTS and Vader ROTS FX sabers released.

MR is currently working on the design of a Maul saber for a tentative release next summer. Nothing is written in stone, but if they can work out the design, it should be a pretty cool piece. MR has hinted that it will be sold as a single sided saber with a connector and you can choose to buy a second one to make a double bladed saber or just use one as a "battle damaged" version (hopefully with a piece that contains that cool exposed crystal to be used in place of the connector). However, as I said, nothing is written in stone and any plans at this point are subject to change.

Also, if you are interested, MR has said they have plans for an FX blaster to add to the line next year as well. They haven't given any details, but they hinted that they are planning a lot of cool features for this piece.

Good luck with your new purchases. Honestly, any saber in the line is pretty good, especially for the price. In my opinion, though, I would get the Anakin and/or Obi-Wan ROTS sabers as they used the upgraded internals and are both modernizations of very iconic designs inthe SW universe. Although, you just know they have to make the ANH versions of these two sabers for the 30th anniversary in 2007! Get them anyway, so if they do release ANH versions, you can have an "evolutions" set!

Hmm, sounds like the Mace Windu isn't such a good purchase. As popular as his character is, maybe they will redo his saber, with better color and updated effects. Half the reason I want his anyway is for the uniqueness of the purple color, but if that doesn't even look right...

Are the Vader ANH, and ESB sabers the same feature wise, just different aesthetically? The ESB design is cool in any case. I've searched all over the web, and can't find any Luke sabers for sale at any price.

Excellent news about Maul, I'd happily buy two to get a double bladed saber, though thats not preferable, but then it would be cool if they detached to use as two sabers anyway.

I currently just have the Vader F/X Saber, and wouldn't reccommend any other one to get first, you have to start with the best badass in the galaxy for your first saber
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by shadu widal
    Hmm, sounds like the Mace Windu isn't such a good purchase. As popular as his character is, maybe they will redo his saber, with better color and updated effects. Half the reason I want his anyway is for the uniqueness of the purple color, but if that doesn't even look right...

Are the Vader ANH, and ESB sabers the same feature wise, just different aesthetically? The ESB design is cool in any case. I've searched all over the web, and can't find any Luke sabers for sale at any price.

Excellent news about Maul, I'd happily buy two to get a double bladed saber, though thats not preferable, but then it would be cool if they detached to use as two sabers anyway.
    AS far as the Mace saber, i hope they do eventually make a new one. As far as the blade goes, it depends on how much of a stickler you are. It's nowhere near perfect, but if you don't mind a little splotchiness, you'll like it. Some collectors/fans are just more anal about such things.

The Vader ANH is the older, larger six battery type and the ESB is the newer, thinner 3 battery type. It also, of course, differs slightly in cosmetics.

I did some checking and it seems the Luke ESB is sold out everywhere. I got one about three weeks ago, but both the Saber Vault and Big Time comics no longer have it now. Don't feel bad, the Anakin is a very good substitute (and uses the newer electronics anyway).

As far as the Maul, I'm hoping they will also offer a two saber package with a slight discount for buying both in one box. Or, at the very least, give a discount for ordering two at a time. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Lord 0498
    However, the Vader FX saber referred to in the other post IS out of production. That was the initial release--the Episode IV Darth Vader lightsaber.
    I know there's a difference, that's why I said the NEW Vader saber just started production. I'm not trying to be rude, but how could you tell which Vader FX saber he was referring to? I took "I'm just not sure if I want to get Mace Windu's saber, or Vaders 1st" as which one he wanted to buy before the other, not that he was deciding between Windu's and Vader's first saber, I assumed that because of what he said right before that, "Especially with the new features, and more realistic feel(not so bulky) from what I've heard" which obviously isn't a reference to the ANH Vader saber.

Quote Originally Posted by knightone
    The Luke ESB and the Vader ANH sabers ended their run early this year, so you can still find them on the good ole' interweb for somewhat decent prices if you look around.
    The interweb? Is that a reference to the SSC and its celebrity adventurer endorsers?

AS far as the Mace saber, i hope they do eventually make a new one. As far as the blade goes, it depends on how much of a stickler you are. It's nowhere near perfect, but if you don't mind a little splotchiness, you'll like it. Some collectors/fans are just more anal about such things.
    For me, the issue is entirely about that weird color, it's not really purple, it's more of a lavender blue color. It looks VERY odd to me.

The Vader ANH is the older, larger six battery type and the ESB is the newer, thinner 3 battery type. It also, of course, differs slightly in cosmetics.
    I have the Vader ANH, it only has one crash sound, a friend of mine says the ESB model has multiple like the Luke ESB. Also, the Vader ESB supposedly has a better swing-sensor, the ANH version is ok but definitely not as good as the Luke ESB which is older than the Vader ESB.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I know there's a difference, that's why I said the NEW Vader saber just started production. I'm not trying to be rude, but how could you tell which Vader FX saber he was referring to? I took "I'm just not sure if I want to get Mace Windu's saber, or Vaders 1st"
    Correct, at the time of that post, I didn't know there were two types of Vader's saber.

To answer some general questions, yes Sam Jackson did specifically request purple as his lgiht saber color. And yes, the "interweb" is a reference to the SSC.