Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LOL, I agree Bel-Cam, be nice to Chewie!

Even though Dark Empire came out before the final Thrawn chapter was published, I'm pretty sure LucasLiscensing probably kept track of any additions to the Solo family. Anyway, aren't the twins actually mentioned at some point in DE? Or am I totally misremembering that...
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

I was expecting Anakin to come back too. Especially with everything we saw on Yavin 4, the build up between him and Tahiri. Not to mention his unique connection with the Vong.

Unfortunatly, with his body now burned, in the traditional Jedi ceremony, it may be a little difficult to bring him back.

It seems like such a waste, to develop a character sooo well and then kill him!

I was also partial to the Barabels! Way cool, and what does Troy Denning do? He kills all but one! I believe that Mr. Denning killed more Jedi in Star by Star than in all the other novels combined!

And for what? Some stupid creature that they could have found other ways to defeat. The underlying story just seemed a little weak to me. But I guess it was better than some "Super-weapon" storyline.

Anyway, at the current rate they are going there won't be ANY new generation of Jedi Knights to continue the ways of the force, they'll all be dead.
    May the force be with you.

Originally posted by sith_killer_99
    I was also partial to the Barabels! Way cool, and what does Troy Denning do? He kills all but one! I believe that Mr. Denning killed more Jedi in Star by Star than in all the other novels combined!
    I pretty much liked Star By Star, but I agree, I LOVED the Barabels. One thing I've disliked about some of the NJO books is the Jedi spend sooo much time whining and debating about what is right and wrong or light and dark. I understand the debate, but it gets carried away too much some times.

The Barabels were really interesting to see in action. They just seemed to *know* what was right and wrong and they enjoyed being Jedi. I was really sad that most of them died, but hopefully, another author will give some time to the remaining one in one of the future books.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Some tidbits I gleaned at Celebration II:

There will be 18 books total in the NJO series.

The final novel in the NJO series to be written by James Luceno is called "The Unifying Force"

Tim Zahn is in the works to write a novel or two. (Whether they were NJO books is unclear)

When asked what Boba Fett was up to during the Vong invasion, the reply was "not all the books have been written yet."

There are no plans for a follow up series yet, because they are renegotiating the license (which ends in 2003) and are concentrating on NJO and Prequel era books.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Thoughts on the NJO Series

I've only read 3 books in this series, although I listened to the audio book of Jedi Eclipse, bringing the total to 4. So, I'll admit my opinion of NJO is based on only a handful of the titles in the series. Here's what I think. It is one thing for a major character to die. I could even accept Anakin's death, if it led to good character development of other lead characters. But what I cannot accept is the ease with which the Yuuzahn Vong are allowed to destroy whole planets. The destruction of Ithor, for instance, was both tragic and unrealistic. At the rate the Vong are allowed to move in the stories, there won't be a single planet left by the time NJO is done. There'll be nothing left of the galaxy that Luke, Han, and Leia fought so hard to save from tyranny.

Here's what I want for the NJO series: the eventual defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong so that there can really be a New Jedi Order. I mean, here's something to explore: Luke and Mara Jade are in love, yet old school Jedi weren't allowed to fall in love. (Discuss amongst yourselves...)

Don't get me wrongo, I like a lot of the ideas in NJO, especially the idea of an enemy that hangs around for longer than a trilogy. (I also like the way the Vong say "Jeedai.") But to all the fine authors writing this series: save our beloved planets, please!
    "Is that the Six Million Dollar Man's boss?"

I hear you Jedi Law Student! I LOVE the NJO, but you're right about them destroying so many worlds. I would've been able to concede the loss of Ithor (one of my favorite and most unexplored worlds of the EU) if the Vong hadn't also taken Yavin 4! There's just too much Star Wars history wrapped up in that planet for it to be transformed as it will end up being. I thought for sure that the Jedi Academy would be where the Jedi would make their stand and give the New Republic it's first major victory. Now we've lost Coruscant too? The only hope I have for Coruscant is that the Vong shouldn't be able to destroy ALL of that technology so quickly. Hopefully there will be some of the planet-wide city left when the Republic reclaims it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Here's something to think about. in AOTC, Obi Wan , Yoda, and mace have a discussion aboiut the direction the Jedi are taking. Yoda implies they have lost focus and their attunement to the Force. Much of this is because of thier preoccupation with being defenders of the galaxy and shirking their "quasi-religious" devotion to the force. The Jedi Council is a direct reflection of this and is symbolic of why the Jedi eventually fall.

Now Kyp and Luke and the others want to reestablish the Council on the NJO.

It seems like Lucas and the EU are headed in different directions where Jedi Councils are concerned. I thought it was funny that Lucas licensing and the novelists got into such a rush to work this new aspect from Phantom Menace into the Star Wars lore, they didn't wait to see what George ultimately had in mind for it. that basically it was bureaucratic and a bad thing for the Jedi and brought about their downfall.

heh. I suppose 20 years down the road, the EU will see the downfall of another Jedi council (sigh) They'll always be a few steps behind....
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I disagree that Lucas and the EU are going in different directions regarding the Jedi Council. I truly don't think that Lucas is trying to show us that the Council is a bad thing. He's trying to show us that the way the Council operated during the waning days of the Old Republic that lead to it's downfall. He's set them up as a very heroic organization. It's their arrogance that we will see as their ultimate undoing. They feel they cannot be mislead, and that they must always win. The real question is, do the Luke's Jedi in the NJO have the wisdom to prevent this from happening to their Jedi Council. I think that is truly where that council is going. I beleive that when it finally happens in the NJO, the council will be so evenly divided along philosophies that they will more effectively be able to weigh all aspects of a given issue, Whereas, the Jedi Council of the Old Republic was of a single mind and point of view, and for the most part only able to see issues in terms of white and black, without being able to see the shades of gray as many in Luke's Jedi order seem to be capable of. That's just my opinion. What do I know?

I just read Vector Prime and I have to say that I found it quite dull - this was the first EU book I read. I dunno, maybe it was just me, but the way it was written it seemed that moon fell right on top of Chewie? The characterisation of the Yuzhan Vong felt wrong, for a "warrior" race they sure cheat a lot And what was the point in having Anakin hyperspace out of the asteroid field, it had no consequence other than to daa another 'moment'. For such an established writer I found R.A. Salvatore to be quite bland.