Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: darth obi-wan?

darth obi-wan?

one thing that I have been thinking about recently has been mentioned only briefly in a post I wondered whether anyone has any thoughts on the matter?

it is at the beginning of the film when dooku and anakin are fighting and obi wan has been knocked down for the first time and runs up some steps cutting some silver battle droids with his light saber as he goes...... Palpatine cheers at this, even though to keep up his false identity he has no need?

so what spurs the sith lord to cheer obi-wan?

one thought that keeps occuring to me is was obi-wan at any point considered by palpatine as a sith apprentice?

he did kill darth maul after all!
    and to kill a sith you have to go a little darker
    that is why luke stops short of killing vader in the ot,
    and why yoda stops short of killing dooku etc

maybe palpatine had plans for obi-wan but when it was anakin who felled dooku he saw no need for obi?

if you remember, prior to episode ones ending palpatine had no knowledge of anakin! and he did manage to turn dooku to the darkside who was qui gon's master who inturn was obi's,

so couldnt obi have been shortlisted?

Re: darth obi-wan?

Quote Originally Posted by darth fingerz
    one thing that I have been thinking about recently has been mentioned only briefly in a post I wondered whether anyone has any thoughts on the matter?

it is at the beginning of the film when dooku and anakin are fighting and obi wan has been knocked down for the first time and runs up some steps cutting some silver battle droids with his light saber as he goes...... Palpatine cheers at this, even though to keep up his false identity he has no need?

so what spurs the sith lord to cheer obi-wan?

one thought that keeps occuring to me is was obi-wan at any point considered by palpatine as a sith apprentice?

he did kill darth maul after all!
    and to kill a sith you have to go a little darker
    that is why luke stops short of killing vader in the ot,
    and why yoda stops short of killing dooku etc

maybe palpatine had plans for obi-wan but when it was anakin who felled dooku he saw no need for obi?

if you remember, prior to episode ones ending palpatine had no knowledge of anakin! and he did manage to turn dooku to the darkside who was qui gon's master who inturn was obi's,

so couldnt obi have been shortlisted?
    Also in AOTC Dooku suggests they take over and take care of Sids. Was that Dooku's idea or Sid's suggestion to try to tempt him? In the ROTS novel Dooku says that Obi Wan is "like his grandson", I liked that line that would have been interesting had that been worked in the film somehow.

As for what happened in ROTS I think its pretty clear that Obber's is in the way when it comes to Anakin. Palps suggestion of leaving Obi Wan was an attempt of getting the 'good influece' out of the way.

Jim Jam

Actually, he does exclaim to Annakin "we've been watching you for some time."
    or something like that...

anyway - I was telling folks in 99 that Palpy had something to do with Annie's Birth.

Why do we get a glimps of Arorra Sing (Sp)
    Was she hired to watch Anni, possible manipulate situations in his childhood, etc...even setting up the demise of his mother?

Palpy gets delight from all destruction and manipulation just like some folks get delight from watching dog fighting and wrastling'

But interesting this ides is...

Obi Wan would have been a good choice if Annakin had been delegged sooner.

Though as I said before - I believe in some soft offscreen moments Palpy asks Dooku not to kill Anakin and go easy on him.

Quote Originally Posted by VaderhitsJarjar
    Why do we get a glimps of Arorra Sing (Sp)
    Was she hired to watch Anni, possible manipulate situations in his childhood, etc...even setting up the demise of his mother?
    We get a glimpse of Aurra Sing because she's a frigging' background character that got over played by fan boys. Why do we get a glimpse of Tessek in Jabba's Palace? Could it be that he's Leia's man servant?

As for Obi-Wan going over to the Sith, I don't think that Palp's had any designs for Obi knowing that he had no evil in him. He could sense Anakin's dark intentions and ever since the Tusken encounter Palp's knew that Anakin would be his next apprentice.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I thought that Palpatine was just excited at the action. The only person he was considering for making into a Sith was Anakin.

When are people going to get over Aurra Sing?
    Last edited by Mr. JabbaJohnL; 06-12-2005 at 07:56 PM.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I also found it odd that Palpatine gets caught up in Obi-Wan's little fight upstairs, it's a reasonable reaction from a normal guy, but as Palpatine is a controlled character who is always hiding his "other nature" I found it too difficult to believe that he just got swept up in the cool excitement, and I didn't buy the possibility that Palpatine was putting on a show to suggest as much.

As for considering Obi-Wan a viable Sith candidate, while it does seem he and other Jedi dap into their hate to win battles in the prequels, I don't think Kenobi was ever considered a Sith candidate by Palpatine. The Dooku angle in Ep 2 I thought was just Dooku messing with Obi-Wan's mind, using the truth to screw with his head, but I suppose he could have been testing the waters there - my gut feeling is nay on that one though, more likely bringing up the idea of Qui-Gon in that conversation was Dooku's way of trying to play both sides of the Force against Obi-Wan.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

God you guys!!! He wasn't cheering Obi-Wan on! He was getting exasperated because Dooku hadn't killed Obi-Wan yet (wich was part of the plan). The novel makes it very clear that Palpatine at that point has no interest in Obi-Wan other than using his demise to cause Anakin to come emotionally unhinged. Dooku however definately wanted to "give him another chance" to see things his way and join them. But Palpatine was very clear in his response that he didn't appreciate his judgment being questioned by his apprentice. You see, Dooku had a prejudice against Anakin because of his mechanical arm. He believed that a more refined warrior would have endured the lose and learned to fight with one hand. He felt the hand made him an abomination. While he did regard Obi-Wan with some respect. When the dual began Obi-Wan and Anakin both used a subterfuge of applying less effective saber techniques to lure Dooku into a false sense of security. Dooku of course misread their ruse and mistakenly believed he had time to toy wit the Jedi a bit, instead of just taking out Obi-Wan straight away as planned. Palpatine was getting impatient in that little part there, waiting for Dooku to carry out the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacta Beast
    God you guys!!! He wasn't cheering Obi-Wan on! He was getting exasperated because Dooku hadn't killed Obi-Wan yet (wich was part of the plan). The novel makes it very clear that Palpatine at that point has no interest in Obi-Wan other than using his demise to cause Anakin to come emotionally unhinged. Dooku however definately wanted to "give him another chance" to see things his way and join them. But Palpatine was very clear in his response that he didn't appreciate his judgment being questioned by his apprentice. You see, Dooku had a prejudice against Anakin because of his mechanical arm. He believed that a more refined warrior would have endured the lose and learned to fight with one hand. He felt the hand made him an abomination. While he did regard Obi-Wan with some respect. When the dual began Obi-Wan and Anakin both used a subterfuge of applying less effective saber techniques to lure Dooku into a false sense of security. Dooku of course misread their ruse and mistakenly believed he had time to toy wit the Jedi a bit, instead of just taking out Obi-Wan straight away as planned. Palpatine was getting impatient in that little part there, waiting for Dooku to carry out the plan.
    Is that a joke, did you make that stuff up under the guise of it being from the novel? I honestly cannot tell.

I also can't accept use of the novel to defend or explain the movie, it's an after-the-fact story written by another author who had permission to basically strike out on his own in any way that didn't conflict the movie's canon. Using the novel is tantamount to saying the movie is sloppily written and requires an outside, after-the-fact source to salvage its errs.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I thought it was just a thinly veiled last attempt to "trick" the audience into believing that Palpatine is a good guy, even though he's obviously under the hood in TPM and AOTC . . .

Palps likes a good fight, and he cant root for Tyson anymore, so he cheered Obi-Wan
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten