Weekly Review: Death Star Droid

The Death Star Droid is up for review this week. First released in 1979 on a 20 back card the Death Star Droid was available until the end of the line in 1985. As far as major variation go, there are no known ones. The Death Star Droid can be found on all major types of card back 20 and higher, but wasn't sold on a POTF card.

Again, I really don't have much to say about this figure. The body is the same as C-3PO, expect for the color. The head is the only real difference. But I think Kenner did a knock out job with it. It looks very good in my eyes.

And again it's one I didn't have as a kid, but picked mine up in the fall of '99 off eBay. The black paint is still there, but the limbs are all super loose and the body looks beat up. Oh well, I could always by another one.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Death Star Droid

I did have a Death Star Droid but he's not with my loose collection. He must be hanging out with my two white Bespin Guards and Zuckuss, since I seem to be missing them as well. Probably in storage somewhere. I think this droid was just another background character I used in displays. He could be used in the Death Star or the Land of the Jawas playset. Not a lot of play room in the back of that cardboard Sandcrawler. I don't remember playing with the figure all that much. I can understand why Hasbro reissues main characters with every line now; those were the figures I played with the most as a kid. Though I prefer the background characters as an adult collector.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Death star Droid > C-3PO.

Gotta love the silver and the insect-like head.
    Last edited by Fluke Skywalker; 06-15-2005 at 03:02 AM.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

This figure was much cooler looking that C3po in my opinion. The black paint on most of these rubbed off real easy and it's very hard to find one in great shape. I do have several luckily.

Like it has been mentioned aleady this figure didn't hold much play value. Not sure why they didn't fashion the hands on this and C3po to at least have the possibility of holding a blaster. Would have made the figure have more play value. Death Star Droids could be really cool Battle Droid like figures. I would have used them in my childhood days in this way for sure.

This was the figure whose limbs got loose the fastest. Any time I posed for scenes, DSD always had to sit in a corner junk pile, or "stand" behind an R2 or R5 droid. When you took figures into the pool or bathtub (yes, I did this, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one), the paint wore off really quickly. I used a black marker on this guy many a time.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

He was one of my favorite toys - he would sit for months in my sandcrawler

I used him to kick 3PO's arse.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten