Thread: Ship artillery

Ship artillery

This is a question for those of you that are more interested in the technical how does it work facet of Star Wars. During the opening space battle we see ship to ship engagement one thing about this did stand out to me. We see a battery of cannons firing and spent shells being discharged, now what I'm wondering is what's up with that? Its not a projectile like lead being shot out rather its an energy beam that is the projectile. Wouldn't the power for the shell be coming through the same power that allows the gun to work? Or would the energy being shot out be different then that produced in the power plant of the ship?

Jim Jam

Re: Ship artillery

That is a pretty good question J, and I will have to admit that was one of the few things that bothered me about ROTS.

My one and only guess could be is that the energy that is used to power the gun emplacements is different than that of the projectile. I could be wrong though. Maybe this is just another one of those Star War's mysteries that will never be solved....
    Give in to your anger with each passing moment you make yourself more my servant. ~ Emperor Palpatine
    Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic. ~Palpatine
    [font=arial]I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new empire. ~Vader[/font]

I figured they were some sort of concentrated energy blast that work more effectively than using the Invisible Hand's powerplant. Besides with such a large amount of artillery firing all at once I don't think the Hand's powerplants could've lasted long.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I think more than anything it was just a nod to WWII-Vietnam era Howitzers. Lucas has always been a fan of throwing things like that into his movies and I think this was one of them. In the same scene, the two ships firing at each other side-by-side can easily be linked to early Naval tactics. The ships would line up next to each other and just blast the living s**t out of one another.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I'm not even a "Techie" but this jumped out at me as well. It looked awesome, "all batteries, Fire! Fire!" but I wasn't sure why it works that way (if there's even a valid reason). I figured it was just discharging energy containers or something but it feels more than anything like that Naval example offered by Cappy.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    I think more than anything it was just a nod to WWII-Vietnam era Howitzers. Lucas has always been a fan of throwing things like that into his movies and I think this was one of them. In the same scene, the two ships firing at each other side-by-side can easily be linked to early Naval tactics. The ships would line up next to each other and just blast the living s**t out of one another.
    I think this could be it Captain, I never thought about two wooden first rate ships of the line blasting each other with shot, chain and grape. Good call!

Jim Jam

"I think Diversity was an old wooden ship."

--Ron Burgundy

Man Jim Jam, you're just coming up with all the good questions
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack
    Man Jim Jam, you're just coming up with all the good questions
    Thanks DQ. That happens when 1) you see a movie waaaaaay too many times and 2) you have too much time on your hands.

Jim Jam

I thought that part was pretty freaking sweet, being in the artillery myself. I saw ROTS last night for the 4th time and this time I went with my buddy who's in the artillery too. He noticed it right of the bat just like I did. There's just something about the sound of a spent casing falling out of the breech........
    Hating aurra sing since 1999.