Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Was it Love...or was it Lust?

Apparently, we are meant to believe that Anakin was in true deep love with Padme.

I disagree. It wasn't love...it was OBSESSION which evolved into unhealthy LUST. Both are qualities indicative of PASSION which is just one of the major components that lead someone to the darkside. Love...TRUE love would never allow someone to take that road.

No?

Re: Was it Love...or was it Lust?

Good points, I certainly hope that True Love would not lead someone to do for me what Anakin did for Padme . . . Padme herself even pointed out the horror of such behavior.

At the same time though, I think Anakin DID love her. He chose the wrong path at the end of the day but I think he genuinely cared about her.

I think it was love, he was concerned about her but it was on the lusty/obsessive side of things. Although who would want to lose a loved one? Especially if you're 20ish yrs old you have a wife and a kid on the way? In that sense I can't blame Anakin for wanting to protect her. One question though what was the love that Padme felt towards Ani? She likely thought he was a cute little kid the first time they met but then what? Was she also blinded that she couldn't see what was going on with Anners?

Jim Jam

I think it was both, but I too am leaning a little more towards the obsession angle myself. When Ani first meets Padme in TPM, its innocent enough. They share a few words and go their separate ways. As he is around her more in the film you can see where things are starting to develop, even at his young age. However later in AOTC we hear him make a comment to the effect of "I've thought about her everyday for the last 10 years"...that to me shows as Ani got older he began to obsess over her. When he saw her there in her quarters on Coruscant, all those feelings came out and from there he starts his quest to gain her attention and affection.
    Last edited by JetsAndHeels; 06-14-2005 at 02:04 PM.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Hmmm... let's see.. Turn Evil and kill a bunch of kids or don't sleep with Natalie Portman every night. Hmmm.... that is a tough decision. Hmm... Bring on the darkside!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spoon
    Hmmm... let's see.. Turn Evil and kill a bunch of kids or don't sleep with Natalie Portman every night. Hmmm.... that is a tough decision. Hmm... Bring on the darkside!!
    While I do like the shackin' up with Nat idea I hope you like sleeping with a corpse Captain Spoon 'cause thats what she is!

Jim Jam

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Was she also blinded that she couldn't see what was going on with Anners?
    no, Anakin was clearly the blind one as stated by Padme when they have their 4th grade discussion about "love" in their suite.

Anakin did love her, but i think it turned to lust when he started to lean towards the dark side. you don't choke the ones you love, unless your a suspect on Cops. he lost it when Padme told him she loved him. Anakin called her a liar and didn't want anything to do with her. that sure as hell aint love. if it is, i would hate to see him with his kids.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

I meant a pre-choking Padme of course hehe , (P.S. choking Padme would make a relly cool fig, or Gentle Giant Bust)

Quote Originally Posted by darko666
    no, Anakin was clearly the blind one as stated by Padme when they have their 4th grade discussion about "love" in their suite.

Anakin did love her, but i think it turned to lust when he started to lean towards the dark side. you don't choke the ones you love, unless your a suspect on Cops. he lost it when Padme told him she loved him. Anakin called her a liar and didn't want anything to do with her. that sure as hell aint love. if it is, i would hate to see him with his kids.
    I agree with you darko, my comment was coming from the "she fell in love with him rather quick too" angle so what's up with that? (no comments from the peanut gallery on falling in love the first time you meet them etc)

Jim Jam

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spoon
    I meant a pre-choking Padme of course hehe , (P.S. choking Padme would make a relly cool fig, or Gentle Giant Bust)
    How about a pre-choking post 18 Padme!

(P.S. choking Padme would make a relly cool fig, or Gentle Giant Bust)
    YES! That could be pretty cool! How about some sort of Unleashed set up similar to the Obi-Wan and Anakin figs? You could have Ani and Padme set up one way 'in love' and another 'choking'!

- "Is Anakin Skywalker going to have to force choke a b*tch?"

Jim Jam