View Poll Results: Which film had the best Jedi death scene?

Voters
594. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ep 1 - The Phantom Menace

105 17.68%
  • Ep 2 - Attack of the Clones

9 1.52%
  • Ep 3 - Revenge of the Sith

290 48.82%
  • Ep 4 - A New Hope

78 13.13%
  • Ep 6 - Return of the Jedi

112 18.86%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Which Star Wars movie had the best Jedi death scene?

While my first inclination was to go for ROTS (Yes, Ki Adi Mundi's astonished reaction truly captures the scope of the betrayal), I had to settle on the original...

Obi-Wan willingly sacrificing himself so Luke and his friends can escape shows that right to the end, he was truely the greatest jedi...

My favorite would have to be ANH. Vader/Obi-Wan - classic Star Wars in every way. Now after seeing ROTS, I like it even more.

ROTJ would be next. The Vader and Yoda scenes had heavy impact on me back in the day!

I really enjoyed the ROTS and TPM scenes for the intensity and feeling. Such great action sequences (especially the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Maul duel).

AOTC jedi deaths seemed hardly noticable, and had no impact on me whatsoever.
    Last edited by Reefer Shark; 06-14-2005 at 11:16 PM.

I voted for TPM, though I could have just as easily voted for ROTJ for Vader's/Anakin's death. For some reason, I did not anticipate Qui-Gon's death until shortly before it happened, and it still kind of stung. Perhaps it was because every other part of the battle was at a low point as well.

For ROTJ, I recall throughout the movie wondering if Luke could bring Vader back to the good side. When Vader finally destroyed the Emperor, I was thinking how great it was to now have him on the good side. So, to then see him die was quite sad. Poor Luke. Orphaned again.

ROTS? Yeah... Ask this same question again in a year after the adrenaline has died down.

Anyway, ROTJ is the best death scene in the saga. It rates the best for overall meaning (it had some) and in its execution. The sheer amount of emotion conveyed with an immovable mask using "mime" techniques and lighting is unmatched by any other film with the Star Wars name on it. Both the lead up to Vader's death and the aftermath contribute greatly to the logical choice of ROTJ.

ROTS easily, so many die, so many different ways. I wish they would have shown more of em die.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    ROTS easily, so many die, so many different ways. I wish they would have shown more of em die.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. The first one gets...shot. Then the next one gets...um, shot. Then the next one gets...er um, shot... then the fourth one..........

RotS. Aayla Secura gets hers. Finally.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Yeah, I see what you mean. The first one gets...shot. Then the next one gets...um, shot. Then the next one gets...er um, shot... then the fourth one..........
    Dooku gets decaptitated, Stass gets blown away on a speeder, Ki-Adi and Aylaa get shot, Mace chucked out a window, many gets slaughtered by Anakin via hologram we see, and the youngsters too. Awesome.....
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

After seeing ROTS, I think Obi-Wan's sacrifice in ANH just means that much more. He did his duty to the Jedi and the galaxy, right up until the end.

For some reason though, the first thing I thought of when I saw this pole was Jango Fett taking out Coleman Trebor. Poor fool never had a chance.