View Poll Results: Which film had the best Jedi death scene?

Voters
594. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ep 1 - The Phantom Menace

105 17.68%
  • Ep 2 - Attack of the Clones

9 1.52%
  • Ep 3 - Revenge of the Sith

290 48.82%
  • Ep 4 - A New Hope

78 13.13%
  • Ep 6 - Return of the Jedi

112 18.86%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Which Star Wars movie had the best Jedi death scene?

I voted Ep. 1 for the Maul/Qui-Gon,Obi Wan sequence. I think the best death overall was Obi Wan slicing DM in two, but I agree you really were not expecting Qui-Gon to die so there was shock. In ROTS you knew all but Yoda and Obi Wan were going one way or another. Mace going down was a close second. If we didn't all know he was getting it, there would be a hell of a lot more shock value to it. For this reason, when I share the SW Saga with my kids it will be in order from 1 to 6.

Tough one...

Qui-Gon's death in TPM is a good one, and then Obi-Wan's death in ANH was pretty powerful at the time, (still is) but I have to give it to ROTJ. Seeing that Yoda puppet die still breaks me up. (I mean... it's a PUPPET and It gets me all sad.) Vader's death in the end is what really wins it though. Great stuff. (Just have to turn the disk off before I see Hayden's ghost.)
    plasticfetish.net

Best death scene?

Episode I: I liked (was saddened) when Qui-Gon died. I was shocked.

As for ROTS, too many deaths way too quickly. I've seen the new movie several times now. Every time I watch it, the deaths of the Jedis, other than Mace Windu's and possibly Ki Adi Mundi's, were way too fast and should have been a few seconds longer to drive home the impact.

Here's what I mean by my comments above:

Kit Fisto gets killed and it looks like he stumbles down the step to his death. Egan Kolar kind of slumbers over. Aayla Secura does a twirl and is gone....the acting could have been more dramatic. I agree with the other folks that wrote about Ki Adi Mundi's murder....it hit home with me, too....had the lump action going in the throat
    I also liked the comment about Ben Kenobi's death in Ep.4....very selfless....
    That's my two cents anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    ROTS? Yeah... Ask this same question again in a year after the adrenaline has died down.

Dang stilla, ease up! It's just a personal preference poll, not picking the next Pres. or anything.

I'd say Vader for me. I think it had the greatest impact on the whole saga having it come full circle. Plus I thought it was one of the best five scenes out of the whole six movies. I was 13 when it came out so it left a bigger impression than Qui-Gon or OB1, who I thought was nuts for letting Vader get to him at the time (I was 7). It was the coolest to finally see Vader get his butt whipped and then to see what was doing under his helmet.
    Last edited by Mandalorian Candidat; 06-16-2005 at 02:16 PM.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I had a very difficult time choosing, ultimately I read some of the comments about ANH and it reminded me just how shocking it was to see Obi-Wan willingly take one for the team, when Luke screams "nooo!" I always feel that way as well, like "how could this be?!?" even when I know it's coming. The nobility of the way he sacrifices himself still gets me every time.

I'm surprised AOTC is faring so badly at this point with just 4 votes, there are a lot of dead Jedi in that arena scene.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I'm surprised AOTC is faring so badly at this point with just 4 votes, there are a lot of dead Jedi in that arena scene.
    True, but only Coleman Trebor actually gets a death scene. Everyone else falls down in the background while main characters fight in the foreground.

I'm not sure why, but Obi-Wan's death had never had a lot of impact for me. I really can't explain it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

For me, it's Obi-Wan's death in ANH. I love how he waited long enough for Luke to witness his demise at the hands of the Sith lord who Luke, at that time, believed had betrayed and murdered his own father. Luke had already taken an interest in the force, and that moment was a point of punctuation the point where Obi-Wan had clearly put the plan to defeat the Empire in motion.
    The fact that moments earlier Obi-Wan told Vader that if he was struck down, he'd become more powerful than Vader could imagine added greatly to the event's impact. Brilliant and unparalleled, IMO!
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent

I have to say the Mace sceen- but mainly because of palpy. Ill admit it- I was kinda grossed out and that added to my shock. I also like the office sceen before.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

The Phantom Menace was for me the first movie that showed the wisdow and power of the Jedi order. Qui-Gon Jinn was strong in the force and trusted it to reveal paths that he should take. That trust made him wise and fearless. Never before have I seen such a reliance on the force. Not just for removing X-wing fighters out of a swamp, but to expect it to present a pathway to find parts for his ship and to get off Tatooine. I was in awe of this new authority and power in the force. He stood in confidence against Darth Maul, a very powerful being himself. When the lightsaber pierced Qui-Gon Jinn, I was stunned. Even his funeral pyre was a very moving experience. Ever since then, death was expected to others and it came.
    [b][size=3][color=red]You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more
    powerful than you can possibly imagine.

[/color][/size][/b]

...Obi-Wan's... he waited long enough for Luke to witness his demise at the hands of the Sith lord who...betrayed and murdered his father...that moment was a point of punctuation
    I'd have to agree. This is a toughie, but after RotS, Obi-Wan's has a much bigger impact in ANH. It strengthens the line, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." He's basically telling Vader that he'll become more powerful than him and remember-- Vader thinks he's the most powerful possible, so it's kind of a slap in the face, too. I also think that Obi-Wan knew right from the beginning that he had no chance in that fight, either.

For this reason, when I share the SW Saga with my kids it will be in order from 1 to 6.
    This is one of the reasons why I'll show my kids 4-6, then 1-3. Luke's reaction to Ben's death. Vader's revelation to Luke that he's his father in Empire. Luke and Leia as twins (think about that-- your kids will already know they're bro + sis when they kiss for that first time...ewww). Vader's helmet being removed to reveal the person inside in Jedi. It also would have been nice if the Jabba scene was left out of ANH, it kind of spoils that initial RotJ moment when we first see Jabba and think, "Wow, that's Jabba!" 4-6 are much stronger in this sense. 1-3 basically puts all that stuff we learned over the last 25 years on the screen-- The story of the clone wars; Anakin vs. Obi-Wan I, where we only knew that there had been a fight and Anakin was burned and needed the Vader suit to survive; page 1 of Lucas' novel "Star Wars," where it explains Palpatine's rise to power in brief.

I think that the simple fact that it's 4-6 that made us all this bunch of Star Wars fanatics and collectors in the first place that backs up the impact of the OT and is the main reason that it should be shown in chronological order by year released, not storyline. Think about it. If Lucas started the whole thing with Phantom Menace back in '77, there would only be one Star Wars movie. It's Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca and the droids that hooked us. Not Jar Jar Binks, Qui-Gon Jinn, Queen Amidala, and Nute Gunray. Although Maul was pretty cool.

Ki Adi Mundi was a darn close second.

Mods: sorry for the length of the post, but hey, I'm a fanatic, too!
    Last edited by Darth Kev; 06-16-2005 at 01:30 PM.
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]