Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anybody planning on getting "SW Chronicles: The Prequels"?

I know the book doesn't come out for several more months, but it recently came to my attention again and got me thinking, is anybody going to shell out the $150 MSRP or even the $100 that it's currently being pre-sold for? The book isn't even really written by the same folks, this time it's Sansweet and SW Insider-writer Pablo Hidalgo.

This thread has nothing to do with any 'prequel hating', it's just that part of what made the original "Star Wars Chronicles" book special is that, even now but especially at that time, there had been woefully few resources for any behind-the-scenes looks at Star Wars, especially focusing on its props and masks and other physical objects; the prequels, however, have had TONS of books released about these things from before each film was even released, and the movies had way fewer props since they concentrated on using CGI models - I suppose they could have lots of photos of maquettes used for design, but that doesn't seem enough to me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Anybody planning on getting "SW Chronicles: The Prequels"?

I didn't realize that this was coming out. I'll have to look at it first before deciding. I have ordered the Trisha Biggar book from starwars.com...the uber expensive version. While the plots of the Prequels are abysmal, the production design has been pretty top notch overall. Star Wars is not unlike a candy bar...tasty but full of empty calories. Wrapper is usually cool though.

I didn't know it was coming out either, that is not until a few days ago when JT mentioned it in another post. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I will definitely be getting this . . . but I'll wait til next year when the price drops.

I do own the Chronicles Book on the OT and it is FANTASTIC of course, and yes you're probably right about the better "value" of the OT Documentation (in terms of rarity of material) JT, but I still want to get this.

For a cool hundred ? Nope. What did I pay for the first Chronicles ? I can't recall but I remember posting about it so it's around here somewhere. I do know that I waited a long time after it came out, I scooped it up at a clearance price.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Well, I will definitely be getting this . . . but I'll wait til next year when the price drops.

For a cool hundred ? Nope. What did I pay for the first Chronicles ? I can't recall but I remember posting about it so it's around here somewhere. I do know that I waited a long time after it came out, I scooped it up at a clearance price.
    Now, this is usually what I do with expensive SW items, but the SW:C is one of the few books I don't have, because I could never find it cheap enough, then couldn't find it at all. Yeah, I could snag it if I looked hard enough, but in the bout between laziness v. dedication, Mr. Ness wins in a knockout!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I was reminded of the Chronicles Prequels book a few weeks ago while looking into what Pablo Hidalgo had written, it came up on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I went to report it in the SSG news and found a reference to the book dating back to DECEMBER, so I felt like a chump and didn't bother posting that news.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I know I'm gonna get dragged over the coals for this one, but I'd rather spend 94.50 on the Complete Calvin and Hobbes set that is coming out before this.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Makes sense to me, though that seems really pricey for a C&H compilation. How complete is it though?

I keep coming back to the question in my head on this Prequels book of what they're going to put in there that hasn't been covered by previous literature, and how will they come up with enough to justify the incredibly high pricetag?

I plan on getting it JT. If its at all like the Original Trilogy Chronicles -I'd be well worth it as I've heard nothing but great things about it. But apparently people who shelled out $100+ for the 1st Chronicles say its well worth it.

Yes a LOT of the items were CG (which kinda sucks), like we wont be seeing Clone Trooper prop helmets and such. But the props department are top notch -hats off to them! I wish I could review the book before buying. Hopefully SW.com will show some pages in advance so we know how it will look befor buying.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Here's a list of some of the new upcoming books, including the prequel chronicles one. What might make some more happy is that they are going to rerelease the orginal trilogy chronicles book...

From Chronicle Books:

The Star Wars Poster Book - $50.00 - ISBN: 0811848833

The Star Wars Chronicles The Prequels - $150.00 - ISBN: 0811847357

Star Wars Chronicles (available in a new slip case) - $150.00 - ISBN: 081181498X

all are available October 2005

From Abrams:

Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days - $29.95 - ISBN: 0810959364

and of Course

Dressing a Galaxy - Trade edition $50.00 - ISBN: 0810965674

Dressing a Galaxy - Limited Edition $295.00 - ISBN: 081095964X

I love books! I love star wars books even more so when I go to SDCC I spend lots of time going to book panels and the different vendors' booths. They had an "Upcoming STar Wars Books" panel that I attended and got to see examples of all these books and they brought out the limited edition of dressing a galaxy and that thing is GORGEOUS! They said that it comes with swatches of the material used in making some of the costumes and the big cahuna is that you get a swatch from the Darth Vader cloak. Plus it's just put together amazingly!

For those of you who never got the orginal star wars chronicles book, you'll have a chance now that they are reprinting it. The one I liked the most, and not because it's the cheapest but because of it's content and layout is the "Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days" by John Knoll. This book is going to be a great addition to my collection and I'm really excited about it.

Plus there's a new trilogy of fiction books coming out by Del Rey that take place after the New Jedi Order called Dark Nest I: The Joiner King, Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen and Dark Nest III: The Swarm War. All of these look fantastic! And also Star Wars Dark Lord: The rise of Darth Vader which takes place after EP3 and before EP4.

I'm so excited for all of these books coming out, both non-fiction and fiction! I look forward to the upcoming months for sure!

On a side note, I went to Clive Barker's panel at SDCC (damn that man is fookin' hilarious) and he's in the process of writing a book that will kill off pinhead, horribly, as he said. I wrote the name down but can't find out where I put it. Soon as I find it, I'll put it up.

Oi!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Thanks for the list, Deox!

I already have the original Chronicles book and plan to pick up the Prequel version as well. I also have the Limited Edition Dressing a Galaxy on order through Starwars.com.

I'm not much into the fiction, but Creating the Worlds of Star Wars: 365 Days sounds interesting. I've had the pleasure of working with Mr. Knolls so I'm sure that this is a great read coming from such a nice guy.