Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"That boy was our last hope"

Is Ben just having the first stages of Alzheimer's or did he just forget he was there in the birthing room for Leia..... surely he should have thought they would both be strong in the force....

Obi-Wan: "That boy is our last hope"
    Yoda: "No, there is another"

When I first watched it, I thought that Ben didnt know Luke had a sister, but Yoda did, therefore it made it that more dramatic when Luke found out Leia was his sister. Yoda knew all along, but Ben didnt.

Now with EIII it seems both Ben & Yoda know, and that line in ESB makes no sense....

Re: "That boy was our last hope"

Maybe he knew Yoda wasn't long for this world?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I can't make any sense out of that line now that we are shown that Obi Wan knows about Leia. The only thing I can think of would be based on the fact that she wasn't trained in the use of the force and before Luke leaves Endor he says she has the same ability and will learn to use like he has???

Jim Jam

Well Luke did go to save Leia, maybe he thought if Luke died she would have too. But then why would Yoda say that there is another? Yeah, this adds to my lines in the old trilogy that don't make any sense.

Or maybe Yoda had to remind him about Leia cause he's senile, he didn't remember Artoo

Or maybe Ben knew Bail took her to Alderann, well he also knew Alderran was blown up. Ben couldn't possibly have been strong enough in the Force to keep tabs on both. Only someone as strong as Yoda could sense both Leia and Luke. So Ben said this thinking that one had been destroyed. At least that is what I got from it

Keep in mind that Ben looks right at the others before he sacrifices himself. He would've recognized Leia from the hologram he'd seen earlier.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

From Return of the Jedi:

Luke: But I have no sister.

Ben: Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.

I think Kenobi always knew about Leia; he just didn't consider her to be a viable option as a jedi, for whatever reason.
    You'll never have another boss like me someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    David Brent

Quote Originally Posted by trandoshan666
    I think Kenobi always knew about Leia; he just didn't consider her to be a viable option as a jedi, for whatever reason.
    Well she is a girl and all......

I am kidding of course!

Jim Jam

Luke was already on his way to being a Jedi whereas Leia had not been introduced to the ways of the Force.

ROTS does not discredit the line in ESB because as Trandoshan posted above, ROTJ points out that Ben was quite possibly aware of Leia . . . unless you would argue that Ben made that speech AFTER learning (offscreen) about Leia from Yoda. I don't think so though, I think Ben knew of her all along.

Well Luke was way too old to begin the training, i mean it worked out well, but maybe he didnt think lighting would strike twice.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."