Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracking my Star Wars collection

Hello All...

I am a newbe to these forum groups and I have a question regarding my large Star Wars collection. I am sure there are alot of people out there that have a large Star Wars collection. The problem where I come into is... when I go to the store to purchase another figure or buy a Star Wars collectible on Ebay... I am not sure what I have already. So my question is... is there an application out there that tracks this type of information... e.g. figures, ships, videos, games etc.? If I could enter this information and then print out a report of the figures for example that I already have... it would make my life a lot simpler.

Cheers!

Brett

Re: Tracking my Star Wars collection

Welcome aboard!

I use Excel and am very happy with it. 1-2-3 would also do a fine job.

The initial data entry is tedious, but once that's done it's a snap to keep it up to date. You just have to be conscientious about updating it.

I have also used Word to create a pocket checklist of what I need. Using 6 point type, my list fits on both sides of one sheet. I fold it up and carry it in my wallet.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

I go off of memory, which is a feat in itself considering I can remember all I have and it is alot. I will sit down one day and make a list and execl spreadsheet or something, but until Alzheimers sets in, memory is the way to go. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I go off of memory, which is a feat in itself considering I can remember all I have and it is alot.
    I do the same thing which is probably why I have at least 20 double figures just chillin' in my storage garage. I do pretty well but I know for a fact that I'm forgetting some of the earlier stuff that I passed on so I could buy it at a later date. If I had some motivation I'd put it on my computer but I could care less.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I actually archived all of my toys, not just TFs, in Word. It's a very simple looking archive, but at least it's all listed. I did the same with my dvd collection. It's a pain to catalog everything when you first do it, but it's fairly easy after that. Just remember to update it!
    "I have you now."

I used MS Works Database. I have item descriptions, category and sub-cat, series/line, company, price paid, market value, exclusive or not, any customizations I did, and special notes (such as edition number, etc.) It works very well.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

I too strongly recommend using a database to catalogue. I remember way back when, when I first started to list the items I had, I did it by hand on paper. It became very monotonous and I had lots of erase marks. Didn't look neat or professional, especially with my chicken scratch.

Excel is now what I use to list the items I get and the catergories I have are item name with room for a description or special note, condition, whether it is boxed or loose, the price paid, where purchased, and # of items. There are different colored cells to indicate which line the product came from (like for my Cinema Scenes area) and different colors also indicate if the item was acquired in a trade or if it was purchased less than retail. At the bottom of the spreadsheet, I included a formula to list the total I paid for my collection and right now it stands at around $4,700 for 10 years of collecting. The total does not compile gas money or wasted tears

Everytime I get something new, I keep it by the computer until it gets listed. Once it has been listed it is free to move around the house.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Just today I organized and did an inventory on my SW collection. Most of what I have is boxed up and/or in rubbermaid containers, but I wanted to actually mark on the box/container what its contents were.
    So I spent a good part of the day today re-organizing and labeling all my stuff. Got things stored by movie and set...Ep1, 2, 3, POTJ, POTF2, deluxes, vehicles, miscellaneous, etc. For each box or container I listed each figure and type (red card, orange card, saber variations, etc) and also the quantity (for those I had extras of).
    It took a good deal of time, but it was well worth it and I was also able to refresh my memory on all the figures and collectibles I have.
    Last edited by JetsAndHeels; 06-20-2005 at 04:21 PM.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I wish i had this problem. My collection is just not big enough yet

Quote Originally Posted by nash
    I wish i had this problem. My collection is just not big enough yet
    Patience...it will grow in time. And for folks like me it doesn't take long when we buy things in mass quantities!!
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed