Windu's lightsaber?

According to the Ep 1 visual dictionary, Mace has a long silver lightsaber, but in ep 2 and 3 he has that black and gold one. Does anybody know what happened that caused him to lose the silver on and build the gold one?
    "I have you now."

Re: Windu's lightsaber?

IIRC, the EU says that he traded it with Eeth Koth in some Jedi saber-trading ritual at some point before TPM and then traded back after the movie, and this is why the Zabark-built Koth saber looks similar to the Zabrak-built Maul saber.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I thought that Mace got the purple lightsaber because Sam jackson was one BAD Mother*****Jedi (ie pulp fiction meets Star Wars) plus I also thought that the lightsaber was lost during the Shatterpoint novel and that's when he got the purple lightsaber, doesn't shatterpoint take place before AOTC?
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I am so lost...
    "I have you now."

The purple blade color was a request of Sam Jackson, but he was given the choice of lightsaber hilts before his first scene started and chose the silver one (well, actually originally I believe he chose a different one, but that's not related to what we're talking about). I believe the reason Sam Jackson (the actor) got a different hilt in AOTC was because he was actually using his saber on screen and they wanted him to have a more interesting and dynamic and unique hilt to go with his increased screentime and actual use of the saber in the movie.

The reason Mace Windu (the character)'s lightsaber is the silver Maul-style hilt in TPM yet in AOTC he then has the gold curved hilt is because of something in the EU about a lightsaber-swapping ritual that had taken place before TPM and ended before AOTC.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sorry im a noob, but what is the "EU" and where do you find it? Seems like it has alot of cool tidbits of info , id like to check it out. thanks.

Nash the "EU" is simply the Expanded Universe of Star Wars. It's everything that was written that doesn't take place in any of the 6 films. It can be books, video games, comics, action figures, TV shows, etc.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Also, if you go to the official site, starwars.com, nearly every databank entry has listings not just for the movie parts and the behind-the-scenes parts, but also Expanded Universe as well. For example: http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...cewindu/?id=eu
    http://www.starwars.com/databank/tec...htsaber/?id=eu

(neither of which seem to include the answer to this thread's question though )

His TPM saber hilt is prominently visible on my Pepsi lifesize standee and I think it's pretty cool. The oddest thing about this Mace saber business is the TPM 12 inch figure I have, he came with a blue blade (years before the AOTC/Purple request).

The change in saber color was not enough for me to buy the AOTC 12" Mace (they did make him, right ? )