Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Always 2 there are.....no more...no less.

MACE WINDU : There is no doubt. The mysterious warrior was a Sith.
    YODA : Always two there are....no more...no less. A master and an
    apprentice.
    MACE WINDU : But which one was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?
    I always took this to mean that at any given time there were only 2 Sith as bizarre as that would sound. Now I think I may have been in error. Does this dialog imply that there are hundreds if not thousands of Sith but they only exist in groups of 2? I guess that would be similar to the Jedi in that each Master can only take on 1 apprentice.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Re: Always 2 there are.....no more...no less.

I thought that (here we go with EU again ) after Darth Bane went ape s**t, they limited it to just two Sith at a time to prevent the inevitable power struggles and such.

Anyone with a better explaination or more EU knowledge can jump in anytime.....
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    I thought that (here we go with EU again ) after Darth Bane went ape s**t, they limited it to just two Sith at a time to prevent the inevitable power struggles and such.

Anyone with a better explaination or more EU knowledge can jump in anytime.....
    My understanding of the whole Sith situation is that sometime deep in the past, corruption and greed overtook a segment of those who could use the Force. The original group was called the Jedi and this splinter "bad guy" group was called the Sith. It didn't form overnight like a private club or anything. Over time, the Sith gathered many (number unknown) members but because they were all bad guys, inevitably, the desire to be in charge began to eat the "club" from the inside out. They killed one another off one by one each trying to get to the top until there were only two left.

This is why the Jedi keep vigilant about starting down the darkpath. Power corrupts even the most noble of us so using "bad" things to justify "good" results ultimately leads one to destruction.

But there can only be two apparently because of this desire for power. The "Master" has to teach an apprentice lest the sect die out, however he does so with the inherent knowledge that he will likely get offed at some point as his apprentice seeks the throne of power. It's a sick relationship they have, but nobody ever said that the Sith were entirely sane either.

I agree pretty much with what stillakid said . . . I like the idea that the "rule of 2" is more of an inevitability since by their very nature they wipe each other out.

The idea that a bunch of Sith "decided" to limit it to Only Two just sounds really stupid to me, EU or not.

edit: One more thing, I also think that the current head Sith does know that his apprentice will want to take over, but in the master's arrogance he finds himself too confident that he can keep the apprentice under his thumb . . . like Palpatine before Vader drops him down that shaft.
    Last edited by 2-1B; 06-22-2005 at 11:30 AM.

If memory serves me correct wasn't it Darth Bane ? that decided there should only be two Sith do to the infighting etc. It was after the "rule of two" that they went into hiding waiting for the right time to show themselves. SO if that is the case how does Yoda know "always two there are..."? Wouldn't they have thought the Sith were gone? And if they knew there were two out there they didn't seem to be looking too hard. That has always been something I've wondered about.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    SO if that is the case how does Yoda know "always two there are..."? Wouldn't they have thought the Sith were gone? And if they knew there were two out there they didn't seem to be looking too hard. That has always been something I've wondered about.
    Mayhaps Yoda read up on his Sith history to know the rule of 2. As for not looking for the Sith, remember that they were supposed to have been extinct for a millenia so after the first 500 years of fruitless looking I'd have given up too.

As for Yoda saying "Always 2 there are, no more no less" that sounds like he's dealing in absolutes and I thought only Sith dealt in absolutes.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

A fact is a bit different than the absolutes that Obi Wan was talking about in ROTS. It would be no different that saying I only had 2 brothers, no more, no less.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Always two there are....no more...no less.
    No less than 2, huh?
    Bull****!
    When Maul dies, there is only 1 Sith.
    And anyone that can count will tell you that 1 is less than 2.
    Dooku also bites it and leaves only 1 Sith.

God, these prequels are so friggin' flawed and full of plotholes...

[FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    No less than 2, huh?
    Bull****!
    When Maul dies, there is only 1 Sith.
    And anyone that can count will tell you that 1 is less than 2.
    Dooku also bites it and leaves only 1 Sith.

God, these prequels are so friggin' flawed and full of plotholes...

Lets not forget that Palps dies AND so does Vader leaving how many Sith????? I guess the OT has its major plotholes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Lets not forget that Palps dies AND so does Vader leaving how many Sith????? I guess the OT has its major plotholes as well.
    Luke started down the darkpath...it was the only way he could bring down Vader...and now it will forever dominate his destiny. So, there you go. At the end of the OT, we have one Sith.