Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Why Master Replicas suck...

Master Replicas sucks because:

I am so sick of companies whether they are small "knock-off" companies or large corporate giants like Hasbro or even Master Replicas producing items they claim to be exclusive or limited and then produce more of that very same item with slight changes or "signatures" as a way to create more revenue.

Case and point the "Hasbro Episode One Sneak Preview Figure" of Mace Windu, they claimed these were exclusive to those who followed there little game of buying 5 figures and sending their UPC codes in to get this figure. They ranted and ravved that **** figure would be exclusive to this offer. So everyone is out getting Mace, then like a year later you see the Star Wars Shop (formerly the Star Wars Insider) selling these figures or giving them away with purchases of $50 or more of something like that... So true collectors who bought additional figures for their damn UPCs got "screwed" thus the figure became "junk status" or that of the "peg warmer".

In Master Replicas case, I am really ****ed and will never buy another item from them again.I will tell everyone I meet not to buy their stuff and go for like Code Red or some other competitor who has better ethics and doesn't claim to be a true "Collector's Product" who's sole intention is profit. Case in point the recent release of Master Replicas prop replica the "At-At". They said this was limited to 1000 pieces, and why not the damn thing was $1200. I was an idiot and bought one. I figured this made a great item to my collection and it was limited to 1000 pieces, not only that they almost sold out in the first week! I was so excited for this thing, I felt like a kid again...

During this time I thought MR was a great company, a true collectors producer of great collectibles. They had never reproduced any of their items in the past even the popular ANH Han Solo Blaster which sells for nearly 500%+ on ebay (sold for like $300 when it came out my friend stupidly bought one for like $1600 on eBay). Then while I am waiting for delivery on the At-At I see MR producing the famed ROTJ Luke Saber (again!) which is one of their more popular items. Again this item came out for a few hundred but was selling on eBay for even like $2000 at times, again I know this out of experience. The reproduction of this saber was being re-released since they claimed it was some "special version" made with like Stainless Steel and better material. This re-release made the past ones pretty much junk, not only could you buy them for a lot less than the original but they were much nicer and thus drove the old one down in value.

After this I sort of got thinking about MR and was thinking all the money I have spent buying their stuff, or waiting for this or that or hunting for their past sabers like the Signature Series David Prowse ANH Saber was all a waste. What is to stop them from remaking and re-releasing all thes sabers agian with some "bs" reason and call it something else?

Then I get my At-At's and what do you know last week MR annouces they are coming out with a Signature Series At-At. This is funny though since they have made Singanture items in the past I bet they thought to themselves people won't care... especially those who already bought it. However if you look in the past MR has NEVER released an item that had a Signature Series that was not released at the same time as the non-Signature Series. Take for instance the Darth Maul Saber. When that came out you could buy one or the other. But with the At-At they represented it as some exclusive item limited to 1000 pcs and thats all... There were no indications of re-releases especially so quickly...

I don't mind so much the additional production, however if you are going to claim to sell only 1000 pcs don't produce 1000 more with some stupid little addition as an excuse to produce more. I would rather you say limited to 2000 pcs from the get go, but then I guarantee you then if there were 2000 made they would not have sold out so quickly and may have sold even less.

Now I am starting to feel like I have been hood-winked or tricked which really sucks. I was one of the 1000 who bought this damn thing the day it came out for sale, and then got this damn email about some signature series. I think this is a total slap in the face for everyone who bought the At-At. To be honest I want to sell my junk but people are already selling them on eBay for as low as $700 I have seen (not speaking of the prototype At-At that was defective from MR on eBay).

Now I am questioning the thousands I have spent on MR collectibles which I surely know now will be re-released one way or another. Its just a matter of time when MR needs some additional revenue. But I assure you they will come out with everything again, new color, new materials, sig series, new base, etc... who knows what they will dream up.

I URGE ALL OF YOU TO SPREAD THE WORD AND STOP BUYING MASTER REPLICA PRODUCTS.

To be honest I don't intend to sell any of the collectibles I collect, I have no intention of profiting from my collectibles. But as a collector exclusivity and production and value are key. It feels much better when you know the items you have, have gone up in value, for the geek you can compare it to buying stocks. I love this stuff, but if it was worth pennies, I don't think anyone woudl collect any of it, because then everyone could buy it, then that item would not be exclusive and would be junk. Having limited runs, limited production, higher prices, makes collectibles worth collecting and more fun... MR has just ruined that. If you don't see whats going on I feel for you.

I am just a disappointed collector who thought MR was a company made for collectors run by collectors when in fact they are merely a small Hasbro... For this same reason I stopped collecting 3 3/4" figures after EP1, you can ask SSG himself. I just got sick of the lies...

Art
    "Do or do not there is no try" -Yoda

Re: Why Master Replicas suck...

Yep. That truly sucks. I collect simply because I love the the designs and nostalgia... not for resale value. Plain and simple. I can see if you collect for values sake having a problem with what you mentioned. Sorry it tainted your views for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalecracker
    Yep. That truly sucks. I collect simply because I love the the designs and nostalgia... not for resale value. Plain and simple. I can see if you collect for values sake having a problem with what you mentioned. Sorry it tainted your views for the company.
    As I said I don't collect for the money but regardless of collecting for monetary gains or not, value is always an important factor. Take for instance if you collected these figures... And everywhere you went they sold for a penny. How fun would it be to collect things that everyone has on your entire block because they are only a penny a figure... I bet it wouldn't be as cool to collect. For collectors of all types there has to be a dollar sign attached that is what makes collecting fun. Case and point, when Hasbro came out with the Dark Horse Expanded Universe figures and everyone wanted the "Super Trooper" they thing was going for like $50. Sure if you found it at Toys R Us you could get it for $4 but they were so rare. If the item is rare collectors like us want it... but rareity breeds value. If its rare it is more expensive... Therefore though I bought this figure to complete the set on eBay for $50 how would you like it if they re-released the figure and it became a peg-warmer? Though you had no intentions of reselling it sucks when you get burnt like that...

Like I said I don't buy things with the intent of selling but I find it absolutely pointless to collect things that have no monetary value, it woudl be like collecting dirt, how fun would that be.... Collectors collect for the sake of collecting but in collections of any sort there is always rareity which breeds the thirst of collecting... without exclusivity and rareity collecting is pointless.

Finally do you really think Lucas made EP 1 - 2 - 3 for the love of the movies and fans? Or do you find it more plausible he wanted more fame and money? I agree the 4- 5 -6 were created out of love, but look at what our world has become... Capitalism corrupts... like power, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely, likewise capitalism corrupts as well...

"I am just a disappointed collector who thought MR was a company made for collectors run by collectors "

so is it the fact they sell their products for alot of money or that they're limited runs? if MR wasn't getting something out of the deal why make the replicas at all? just to please you? they keep the runs limited so they can make a good profit, whos going to pay $350 for a lightsaber if they have a production run of 10,000 so dealers are overstocked and have to sell them for less than they paid? if that were the case, people would stop buying and MR would stop producing.

if you're going to come here and spread this anti-capitalist BS, i suggest you stop collecting and stop watching movies all together. if there was no money to be found in making movies we would never have Star Wars to begin with and especially no prop replicas. i do agree somewhat, however, about the different editions. it's bad like you say because its minor variations but its good because people like me who missed out on stuff the first time around can get a similar but different version.

"Finally do you really think Lucas made EP 1 - 2 - 3 for the love of the movies and fans? Or do you find it more plausible he wanted more fame and money?"

is it not possible he did it for BOTH? you think the guy is going to spend time and millions of dollars on a movie if he's not going to be properly compensated for the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by DXiRoNMaN
    "I am just a disappointed collector who thought MR was a company made for collectors run by collectors "

so is it the fact they sell their products for alot of money or that they're limited runs? if MR wasn't getting something out of the deal why make the replicas at all? just to please you? they keep the runs limited so they can make a good profit, whos going to pay $350 for a lightsaber if they have a production run of 10,000 so dealers are overstocked and have to sell them for less than they paid? if that were the case, people would stop buying and MR would stop producing.

if you're going to come here and spread this anti-capitalist BS, i suggest you stop collecting and stop watching movies all together. if there was no money to be found in making movies we would never have Star Wars to begin with and especially no prop replicas. i do agree somewhat, however, about the different editions. it's bad like you say because its minor variations but its good because people like me who missed out on stuff the first time around can get a similar but different version.

"Finally do you really think Lucas made EP 1 - 2 - 3 for the love of the movies and fans? Or do you find it more plausible he wanted more fame and money?"

is it not possible he did it for BOTH? you think the guy is going to spend time and millions of dollars on a movie if he's not going to be properly compensated for the effort?
    Anyhow interesting response...

I am not coming here to spread propaganda, again I love capitalism (though its not always fair) and I love the U.S. don't get me wrong. I am just saying it sucks when companies "*****" (excuse the french) their stuff out just to make more money...

I am sorry about "if you missed something" etc... thats life man look who is crying now? "Oh I wish they still sold the original Early Bird Certificate Star Wars figures..." The whole point of saying "limited to 1000" pieces is to tell people they are limited, meaning for most high end collectibles like Ferrari Enzo's (limited production) to Chuck Jones animation cells (limited production) they are LIMITED to that specific number... They will NEVER make more because they are a reputable company. Do you really think they Chuck Jones would come out with a new animation cell and just say its a different color frame now we can say limited to 1000 more pcs but we will call it black frame edition??? Or Ferrari, hey lets make ones with SAT Radio and said SAT Radio special edition.

Case and point the AT-AT Signature Series... who the hell is signing it anyhow, the driver? puhahaha... you probably don't understand what I am saying because you probably didn't spend the $1200 to buy one. If you did you would be sour too...

LASTLY I LOVE HOW YOU SAY I SHOULD DO THIS OR THAT "STOP WATCHING MOVIES STOP BUYING TOYS" DID I EVER SAY IN MY POST FOR YOU TO DO ANYTHING... I JUST SAID MR SUCKS... AND DON'T SIDE WITH MR ABOUT THEM HAVING TO MAKE MONEY... IF THEY CLAIM TO BE A HIGH-END COMPANY THAT CATERS TO VERY AUTHENTIC PROP REPLICAS THEY ARE IN IT FOR BOTH... YOU DON'T SEE FERRARI COMING OUT WITH AN ECONOMY EDITION DO YOU? BECAUSE BELIEVE IT OR NOT SOME COMPANIES ARE NOT IN BUISNESS TO 100% MAXIMIZE PROFIT. SOME ACTUALLY CATER TO THEIR CUSTOMERS AND YET TURN A GOOD PROFIT.

FOR ALL I CARE ***** OUT THE $300 SABERS BUT WHORING OUT YOUR HIGHEST DOLLAR ITEM??? I DON'T THIS WAS A GOOD CHOICE... NOW GO AWAY CHOIR BOY...

I hear ya. I simply could care less about the value of whatr I collect. I mean, hey, it'd be nice if it all appreciates over the years. More for my kids to sell'm for. Hopefully they'll hang on to them as well. As for Lucas- I could care less why he made the movies. Do you REALLY think Peter Jackson made the LOTR's simply because he loved the stories? I collect what I collect simply cause I like them. I used to collect for value and realized I had a load of crap on my hands. Now I have a nice collection that makes me smile and drives my wife nuts. GOOD times. I know it burns but thems the breaks. I wouldn't let it kill my love for the process... of collecting what makes me feel like a kid again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalecracker
    I hear ya. I simply could care less about the value of whatr I collect. I mean, hey, it'd be nice if it all appreciates over the years. More for my kids to sell'm for. Hopefully they'll hang on to them as well. As for Lucas- I could care less why he made the movies. Do you REALLY think Peter Jackson made the LOTR's simply because he loved the stories? I collect what I collect simply cause I like them. I used to collect for value and realized I had a load of crap on my hands. Now I have a nice collection that makes me smile and drives my wife nuts. GOOD times. I know it burns but thems the breaks. I wouldn't let it kill my love for the process... of collecting what makes me feel like a kid again.
    Of course Peter Jackson made LOTR for the money alone... I am not retarded but he is not going around parading that he loves LOTR... My point is simple, if you say its limited make it limited, no IFs BUTs or whatever... 1000 pcs is 1000 pcs not oh yeah and another 1000 pcs with a different color, or a Signature Series, or a different material...

I don't know why everyone is jumping on my back for this, 99% of you don't even own the AT-AT. I am not the one claiming to make only 1000 pieces then say "oh yeah I changed my mind"... I never said or told them to make 1000 pcs either.... So they said it, I am just upset that they went against their word thats all. A promise is a promise especially from B2C type situations. But its not suprising at all, Customer Service is the lost art in America, no one cares no more, and its all about profits sad but true...

If you want more anti-MR propaganda just ask... I had to reorder a cracked base from them for my AT-AT and I have 3 different emails stating it was mailed out. They just sheer lie at times and like I said I have the evidence and case #'s to prove it. Also the base finally came but it took 4 months...
    Last edited by Jayspawn; 06-29-2005 at 01:43 PM.

"But its not suprising at all, Customer Service is the lost art in America, no one cares no more, and its all about profits sad but true... "

hey thats a legitimate concern but whats the problem with having a LE and SE version of the ATAT, or any replica for that matter? does it make much difference that each are limited? the sabers for instance, allversions are limited, whats wrong with having a signature or elite edition to differentiate? its not really making the 3500 run sabers less valuable or less collectable.

i tell you what though, if you shelled out all that money for the ATAT you damn well better get your money worth. i havent bought DIRECT from MR but for the price of their products they need top notch customer service. maybe they'll see your thread here and comment.

I hope you go back to whatever hole you crawled out of and stay there for another 4 years, whether you know "SSG" or not.

Mods - can the 2 threads where this guy B's and M's be merged, since they are the same topic?
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by artdoesart
    But as a collector exclusivity and production and value are key. It feels much better when you know the items you have, have gone up in value, for the geek you can compare it to buying stocks.
    One buys stock to make money, to see it increase in value so they can either reap dividends or sell it for a higher price, the value of a collectible that isn't going to be sold is exactly zip.

I love this stuff, but if it was worth pennies, I don't think anyone woudl collect any of it, because then everyone could buy it, then that item would not be exclusive and would be junk. Having limited runs, limited production, higher prices, makes collectibles worth collecting and more fun... MR has just ruined that. If you don't see whats going on I feel for you.

...As I said I don't collect for the money but regardless of collecting for monetary gains or not, value is always an important factor. Take for instance if you collected these figures... And everywhere you went they sold for a penny. How fun would it be to collect things that everyone has on your entire block because they are only a penny a figure... I bet it wouldn't be as cool to collect.
    Actually, I buy things ONLY because I like them, I bought Toy Fair Vader not because he was rare but because he was cool, now if an earthquake knocks mine down and ruins it I have no reasonable way to replace it. When Hasbro did the big clearance thing a few years back, I picked up tons of stuff I liked, both 4" figures and Micro Machines, I bought what I liked and even bought stuff I only sorta liked.

For collectors of all types there has to be a dollar sign attached that is what makes collecting fun.
    Completely untrue. When the gold-plated Micro Machines special sets were $100, I didn't care, but when they were $15 I got 'em all. When I got the Riddell mini helmets, I got the first 2 at full price, and the last 3 on big clearance from KB's website, all 5 are precious to me no matter what they're "worth" on the aftermarket, and I hate hearing from collectors who missed out on these and can't enjoy them now because they're too expensive. Again, there's the last 3 Galoob Action Fleet - Jabba's Sail Barge, E-wing, and TIE Defender - where they were instantly super hard to find, I paid $20 each from Galoob direct and didn't even get boxes, but I was happy because I liked them, now that they're $500 a piece it only makes me sad for those who can't get 'em because they're so neat. For *you* the rarity is the good part, for me it'd be the AT-AT itself.

Master Replicas said that they did limited runs basically because it was the nature of the beast, the limitation drove up collector interest which ensured enough buyers to make it possible to sell these expensive items. I understand that, but I don't have to like it, and it means I'll never get my hands on that ANH Obi-Wan saber.

Case and point, when Hasbro came out with the Dark Horse Expanded Universe figures and everyone wanted the "Super Trooper" they thing was going for like $50. Sure if you found it at Toys R Us you could get it for $4 but they were so rare. If the item is rare collectors like us want it... but rareity breeds value. If its rare it is more expensive... Therefore though I bought this figure to complete the set on eBay for $50 how would you like it if they re-released the figure and it became a peg-warmer? Though you had no intentions of reselling it sucks when you get burnt like that...
    That's an unfair comparison, you aren't talking about paying 10 times the cost of the AT-AT to get it only to find out about a second run which wasted your money, the second AT-AT costs like $200 MORE than the first version, right? Even if it was the same price, you haven't lost a damn thing, you paid $1200 for a $1200 AT-AT, and since you're not going to sell it, the "value" cannot change for you because it's at its not going to see another monitary transaction again in your life. For me, I couldn't care d**k about the aftermarket value of a collectible, once I own the damn thing it's value is immeasurable no matter who else gets one - in fact, I come to this site to SHARE my love of collecting these trinkets, which I couldn't do if they were ultra-rare.

What kills me is that I do find it somewhat frustrating to see MR produce a limited edition replica and then later down the road release another version with a slight change because it does seem to be breaking an unspoken covenant with the customer, but truth be told your arguments ring totally false for me as I'd be much happier if they never bothered with that "limited edition" nonsense in the first place, just make enough to satisfy initial interest and when more interest arrives, make more product to satisfy those customers too. Ultimately, my opinion of Master Replicas is that they are a pretty good company who makes some mistakes but is a lot better than Icons, for example, and with the amazing Force FX line makes a satisfying series of collectibles which nobody before had attempted, and for that I am incredibly happy they exist.

I collect for me, not to compete with anybody else.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.