Weekly Review: Boba Fett

Ladies and gentlemen, the one and only Boba Fett. Yes, this weeks figure is the most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy (Kenner's words not mine). Boba Fett first available as a mail-away offer in 1979. The cost was four POPs. Later he was released on a 21 Back card. Boba Fett can be found on all major types of card backs, but not on POTF. He was also available on a Droids card in 1985. His accessory is a bluish black Stormtrooper blaster.

There is one major variation of the released figure. The Tri-logo version of Boba Fett is molded in a little blue plastic rather than the bluish gray of the US version. But this figure is also notable because of it's prototypes. Advertised as being able to fire the rocket, no version this figure was ever released. But numerous prototypes are still floating around. The two major (and well known) types are the 'J' hook and 'L' hook type. 'L' hooks have a 4 sided rocket and are unpainted. 'J' hooks can be painted or unpainted and have the common 8 sided rocket, which means they are easy to fake.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Boba Fett

Ah, if only they had produced the Bobba Fett with the launching rocket. Who needs both eyes anyway! Kenner had lawyers didn't they?

He's still a cool figure after all these years.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

One of the best figures ever made, of course. Almost everyone's favorite.
    Detail is excellent on this figure and sculpt is also excellent. The gun was rather
    uneventful. Always seemed to me that for someone who was such a menace that he should have his own sculpted gun (like bossk, iG88, etc.).

I think I got mine through the mailaway offer.

The firing rocket thing would have been fun for a bit. However, think about it, you would have to bend him over to fire it at things. That is really awkward. Pretty much have to simulate him trying to touch his toes in order to fire the rocket. Obviously you could develop the idea that it leveled out to attack things but see what I mean. Therefore I don't think not having the firing rocket Fett was all that bad.

Bottom line thought is this figure is awesome looking.

One of my favorite figures as a kid. Fett was just too cool to always remain an enemy. So it was only a short time before Fett and the Rebels set aside their differences and he became an ally of Han and Luke in my imaginary world. The nice detail on the figure's sculpt always warranted another inspection no matter how many times I sat and did it. He had a great outfit, with cool helmet and armor, wrist rockets, and the backpack rocket. You could see mystery tools or weapons sticking out of his pockets and sit there wondering what the heck he'd do with them.

I remember when the mail-away promo first appeared on cardbacks, it was exciting speculating who this new character was and what he was going to do in the next movie. Heck, even the prospect of another film was exciting.

I have two Fetts in my collection. One is probably mine and the other was for my brother. I know we got both figures through the mail-away offers. I anxiously sent away my POPs and checked the mail for the next six to eight weeks, which usually seemed like six to eight months. Then Kenner begain slapping those huge correctional stickers on figure cardbacks to show that they had changed the figure, mainly removing the firing rocket feature. I peeled those stickers back to see the old Fett sculpt and hoped that I got one of the original Fetts before the change. I was kinda disappointed in that, but still eagerly awaited my figure. It was nice getting stuff in the mail, especially a new fig.

I never got the figure again on any cardback, but I think I still have several of those little white mailer boxes the mail-away figures came in. When Fett was last released in the DROIDS line I passed on him since I already had one. I really liked the DROIDS cards but just couldn't afford to buy duplicates of figures I already had. Too bad Kenner didn't resculpt or repaint Fett as he appeared in the cartoon. I would've scraped the money together somehow and snapped that up in a heartbeat.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Aahhh, one of my favorite vintage figures. To this day, Boba Fett is one of my favorites. Unfortunatly I just missed being old enough to collect and play with action figures (which doesnt stop me now) so I didnt have SW figures when I was little. But that doesnt stop my quest to getting a complete set of Vintage. I got my Vintage Boba Fett at a small sci-fi store (which is now closed unfortunatly), but I got him in perfect shape with weapon for only $5!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett