Cool 500th Figure: Darth Vader w/Meditation Chamber (brief review)

I just received my two units from Amazon.com the other day. I have to say that I was really impressed with the packaging in its simplicity and effectiveness. The cardboard base is nicely decorated with the current colour scheme and the back of the "bubble" (which is a very solid clear plastic - I was thinking "standard bubble" when I saw it on-line) has apath cut out of it so you can raise and lower the armature for the helmet.

The Vader figure is a retooled version of the VOTC Vader, for the most part. The ball-jointed sholders are gone but the rest of the articulation remains. The helmet and faceplate are pretty much what we've come to expect from the recent Vaders. There is so good paint application on the top part of the face plate where the helmet is to lock in. The helmet doesn't really lock in well but looks really nice. The back of the head just shows a little skin and a pretty deep gash which is painted nicely.

Vader comes with hands moulded to look like he is resting them on his knees. A second right hand is included as is a lightsaber. Chances are pretty good that you won't be using these but it's nice that they included them. A cape is also included. I put mine on the figure and it looks fine when Vader is sitting. I have it tucked around his back and underneath him. It's not so great when he is standing as it is not made to fit over his shoulders. Again, this figure was made for the chamber and not as a loose multipurpose Vader figure. It's a little too expensive for that.

The Meditation Chamber is obviously smaller than the version in the film. There is still some nice detail on the base and body of it. I really wish that there was a top part to this that wasn't part of the packaging. The inside is mostly white and there is a control unit that encircles the seat. The seat has an Imperial Navy logo moulded into it as well as Vader's "sit print". The control unit is detailed with some simple stickers. The "hat grabber" is simply moulded in a light grey plastic and has no paint accents. There is a lever at the back of the pod that will raise and lover the helmet onto Vader's head. Who knew you needed all of that technology just to put your hat on? The front of the chamber has some pretty long foot pegs where you can anchor the figure to.

My overall score on this is a solid "B" I'd have given it a total "A+" if it had the top half.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Re: 500th Figure: Darth Vader w/Meditation Chamber (brief review)

Good review. The only thing I'd add is that while we probably WON'T get a two-piece removeable helmet in the Evolution set, it would have been a overly nice suprise here-and yes, I know only the top came off in the film.
    This "piece" is a landmark to me...after the Complete Galaxy version, it's really great to see this update and for all those who don't have the VOTC Vader, well this is a nice start.
    I agree about the package, but when you put Vader in the Chamber and put down the "lid" it is still pretty cool.
    The helmet had to be loose for that removal arm, which is just a great feature- it actually works and the arm is tight when raised and well done. However, it just took me 2 days to find the helmet-lost in the computer room. That sucka is EASY to lose.
    All in all, great piece, I love Vader's mask detail- the copper and silver "parts" are well painted.
    The ONLY complaint I have is that the TRU in Wilkes-Barre PA has been rationing these out like Avian Flu Vaccine! These should as of this 4th of July be available to anyone who wants one, but again, distribution is slow or what I have is ahead of schedule.
    Again, great piece. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars outta 5 stars. 1/2 off for the figure's minor, minor flaws and that top piece. I'd have payed.....a little more to have a complete chamber that closes. And no, I'm not buying the Ole' SD thing to have one...
    For those who want one I hope these start showing up...

I found the Vader Meditation Chamber at TRU yesterday. I picked up the last one left; $16.99. The packaging is kinda strange, it seems more like a fireworks package. I almost expected to find a fuse in the back and a note that reads "emits fountain of sparks."

http://uploads.bardiir.de/2005071000385265721.jpg

The action feature is pretty neat, the lever to raise and lower Vader's helmet works well. The plastic bubble/cover is actually pretty thick and durable but it's not clear. The cloudiness of the plastic cover detracts from it's display-ability. It's like looking at Vader through a foggy glass.
    Last edited by Ji'dai; 07-10-2005 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added pic
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

This set is awesome. I got it today and can not stop playing with the lever to lower his helmet on and off. The Chamber is smaller than the movie as stated in JP's review but I dont care. The one thing I like about it is that it is visible the whole way around. I ddidnt see the second hand with saber, but then again I didnt open it. There is no need to with this one unless you have 2 of them. Vader looks to have plenty of articulation on him as well. A must have for all collectors. I give it an A-. Top half would have blown this set off the charts.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    The plastic bubble/cover is actually pretty thick and durable but it's not clear. The cloudiness of the plastic cover detracts from it's display-ability. It's like looking at Vader through a foggy glass.
    That's the first thing I noticed when I looked at the pics and wasn't sure if I was seeing things.

Nice pick up KH, hopefully they find there way over to me soon.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!