Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

What did Leigh Brackett's script include?

I'm wondering if anyone knows specifics that were cut or what bits might have been kept for ESB. In the past I have read articles which referenced this topic, but I can't recall any specifics.

Thanks!

Well, I now know what parts of her script aren't in ESB - all of them. This from Kasdan in the LA Times via TFN:

Look, there's no question that Leigh Brackett was one of the great screenwriters of all time. But it was an odd job for her, and there's nothing of that draft left in "Empire."
    I always assumed her writing credit was more out of respect for her, but I guess I also assumed some of her script was included.
    Thanks to Kasdan for clearing that up for me.

But I still wonder what her script was like . . .

Info from the Annotated Screenplay:

The original opening crawl was:

Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back.
    "After the destruction of its most feared battles station, the Empire has declared martial law throughout the galaxy. A million worlds have felt the oppressive hand of the Emperor's stormtroopers in their attempt to crush the growing Rebellion. As the Imperial grip of tyranny tightens, a small band of freedom fighters search for a more secure base of operations...."

Strange that it was referred to as Ep2, but I think this was in 1977 or 78. Another interesting parallel to ATOC is the planets GL wanted to use for ESB:

"The Water Planet" an underwater city
    "Ttaz: The Rock/Desert Planet" gray, colorless with a civilization living in caves
    "The Garden Planet" Slightly fairy tale like, very lush environment with gardens rather than forests. Possible names for the planet were Bestpenkoluta, Bestenkoleta, and Besspin-Kaaleita.
    "Ton-mummd: The Grass Planet" with tall wheat fields, grass and giant rolling hills as far as one can see.
    "The City Planet" sort of like the Death Star, a completely built-over city planet and possibly the home of the Empire.

This was in addition to Hoth and what would eventually become Bespin. Hoth was actually the original name for Bespin.

Other interesting notes:
    -Han was to be given a backstory (orphaned and raised by Wookies on Kashyyk, flunked out of the Imperial Academy) and spend most of the movie seeking out his Ernest Hemmingway-like mentor. They supposedly had a falling out and Han hadn't spoken to him in years; but the Rebellion desperately needs him for some reason and Han is the only one who can locate him.

-Yoda was originally called Minch Yoda and had to raise Luke's X-Wing from the swamp before Luke would believe that he was actually a Jedi Master. He also stages a lightsaber duel with Obi-Wan's ghost in order to convince Luke that he was more skilled than Ben.

-Boba Fett was originally designed as a sort of Super Stormtrooper army until he was eventually paired down to just one bounty hunter.

-The film explored Luke and Leia's love more deeply, as they weren't brother and sister at this point.

-Han Solo wasn't frozen in Carbonite in the first draft.

-Vader wasn't revealed as Luke's father, and parts of his backstory were revealed. The only difference to what Ben told Luke in ROTJ is that Vader was pushed down a nuclear reactor shaft after one of his arms was severed and when he emerged he had become a mutant and no longer human. From what GL says, Vader was always intended to be Luke's father; but he originally thought it would be better to reveal it in the third film.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I had a feeling I might get some results by giving this question a bada bump, thanks.

I'd hope Yoda could beat a dead guy.

its cool to see how ideas used in the first drafts of ESB were adapted and used in the prequels(The water/city planet,etc.)
    The force will be with you- always...

AND yoda battling, AND the fact that boba fett IS one of an army of stormtroopers (from a certain point of view) AND the deepening of a love story, AND how the republic becomes martial law at the end of AOC because of the "separatists..." verrry interesting.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Lesson to newcomers - see what happens when you ask a question in August, have no replies, and then retry 9 months later?

'least it got answered...

i'm just intrigued by all those parallels...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Well if the ESB/AOTC connection is any indication:

In the first draft of ROTJ, Obi-Wan Kenobi came back from the dead to aid Luke in defeating Vader and the Emperor.

What are the odds that we'll see Qui-Gonn revived from the dead for Ep3?

The final battle also involved two Death Stars over the Imperial City (Coruscant). With Leia spending pretty much the entire movie running raids to prepare for the final attack. She originally wasn't involved in the rescue of Han Solo at all. That would've meant no Metal Bikini for Leia!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Re: What did Leigh Brackett's script include?

Rock/Desert Planet: Utapau maybe ? ? ?

Garden Planet: perhaps Salucami ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    What are the odds that we'll see Qui-Gonn revived from the dead for Ep3?
    No way, that could never happen ! I give it 50 to 1 odds.