This "club" or "network" (for lack of a better term) is a response to the increasing difficulty for many of us to find and complete our collections of the young readers' series now that they are out of print and commanding ridiculous prices online.
The premise is simple: these books were printed in large numbers until relatively recently. There is no justification for the prices that online retailers are asking for them. (For instance, the final book of the Jedi Apprentice series is listed on amazon.com as high as $85 for a used copy. And yet I walked into a normal bookstore just last night and found it, and a couple of other supposedly rare installments of the series, for cover price.)
These books are out there, and they are worth tracking down and reading. They may take a little bit of work to track down at more reasonable prices.
And that is where this network comes in. A used bookstore in Massachusetts may have the copy of The Rising Force that you need. A Barnes and Noble in Miami may still have the Heirs of the Force you desperately need, just sitting and gathering dust. Without some help, you may never know about them. And at the same time, you may find an extra copy of Kenobi's Blade that a fellow collector in Seattle has been searching for for years.
In other words, all of us are helping each other finish our collections so we can actually read the entire series. Very simple, right? The only requirements of this are:
1) Post a list of what you currently are looking for (I'll post a list of the stuff that's currently known to be HTF). If you have extras lying around, post those as well. And make sure to update your want list whenever you obtain something, so the rest of us aren't scouring the earth for something you already have.
2) If you find a book that you know someone's looking for, pick it up for them and tell them.
3) If you find a copy of one of the books you know to be tough to find at a decent price and can spare the money, pick it up and tell us about it. Someone may need it and hasn't posted here for whatever reason.
4) Please offer any books you find at a reasonable price or trade value. We're trying to help each other out here, not make a profit.
5) Have patience and trust your friends here to help you complete your own collection.
(Of course, if you have your full set and find a book you know that someone might be looking for, by all means feel free to tell us about it as well.)
I recommend looking in the following places:
Chain Bookstores (Barnes and Noble, Waldenbooks, etc)
Closeout Bookstores (Foozles, Publishers' Warehouse, Crown Books)
Important: Unless you state otherwise when posting your want list, the assumption will be that you want a reading copy. This means the cover may be creased, there may be a stamp from a local used bookstore or a kid's name inside, it could have a price tag on the cover -- just so long as the book is fully intact and readable. If you want only books in a certain condition, make sure you say so!
The Books We're Specializing In
These are the books that I know to be out of print and tough to find. Books that are out of print but still easily available new (f'rinstance, Episode I Journal: Anakin Skywalker) are not on this list. The exception to this will be a handful of Jedi Apprentice titles that can currently be ordered new from amazon.com and/or barnesandnoble.com, which will be in blue.
Books that seem to be exceptionally tough to find for less than double the cover price will be indicated in red.
I realize this is going to be incomplete, so please add as necessary. I know the "freebie" books from the Adventure Club (or whatever it was called) and several earlier books are currently missing.
I'll try to link images of the covers in the near future, but that will take some time.
The Jedi Quest series, the Jedi Quest hardcovers, and the Boba Fett series are currently still available new. However, if anyone learns that they are going out of print, please post that information, and I'll add them to the master list.
(the early apprenticeship of Obi-Wan Kenobi)
1) The Rising Force by Dave Wolverton
2) The Dark Rival by Jude Watson
3) The Hidden Past by Jude Watson
4) The Mark of the Crown by Jude Watson
5) The Defenders of the Dead by Jude Watson
6) The Uncertain Path by Jude Watson
7) The Captive Temple by Jude Watson
8) The Day of Reckoning by Jude Watson
9) The Fight for Truth by Jude Watson
10) The Shattered Peace by Jude Watson
11) The Deadly Hunter by Jude Watson
12) The Evil Experiment by Jude Watson
13) The Dangerous Rescue by Jude Watson
14) The Ties That Bind by Jude Watson
15) The Death of Hope by Jude Watson
16) The Call to Vengeance by Jude Watson
17) The Only Witness by Jude Watson
18) The Threat Within by Jude Watson
JEDI APPRENTICE SPECIAL EDITION
(two larger books that act as bridges between the Jedi Apprentice and Jedi Quest series)
1) Deceptions by Jude Watson
2) The Followers by Jude Watson
JUNIOR JEDI KNIGHTS
(the early apprenticeship of Han & Leia's youngest son, Anakin Solo)
1) The Golden Globe by Nancy Richardson
2) Lyric's World by Nancy Richardson
3) Promises by Nancy Richardson
4) Anakin's Quest by Rebecca Moesta
5) Vader's Fortress by Rebecca Moesta
6) Kenobi's Blade by Rebecca Moesta
YOUNG JEDI KNIGHTS
(the apprenticeship of the Solo twins, Jacen and Jaina. . . these weren't actually numbered, but I've numbered them chronologically for purposes of this list)
1) Heirs of the Force by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
2) Shadow Academy by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
3) The Lost Ones by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
4) Lightsabers by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
5) The Darkest Knight by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
6) Jedi Under Siege by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
7) Shards of Alderaan by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
8) Diversity Alliance by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
9) Delusions of Grandeur by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
10) Jedi Bounty by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
11) The Emperor's Plague by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
12) Return to Ord Mantell by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
13) Trouble on Cloud City by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
14) Crisis at Crystal Reef by Kevin J Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
GALAXY OF FEAR
(a series of Goosebumps-inspired books set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. . . pretty mediocre overall, but they do feature the death of Dr Evazan in one book)
1) Eaten Alive by John Whitman
2) City of the Dead by John Whitman
3) Planet Plague by John Whitman
4) The Nightmare Machine by John Whitman
5) Ghost of the Jedi by John Whitman
6) Army of Terror by John Whitman
7) The Brain Spiders by John Whitman
8) The Swarm by John Whitman
9) Spore by John Whitman
10) The Doomsday Ship by John Whitman
11) Clones by John Whitman
12) The Hunger by John Whitman
Episode I Journal: Darth Maul by Jude Watson