I need a tutorial on sculpy

Can anyone help me out here? I would like to know how it is affixed to a figure, if it is sculpted wet or dry, how strong it is, and how permanent it is.

Re: I need a tutorial on sculpy

Their is a decent website about this topic on TheForgottenForce.com. They have a cool how to custom book you can print that deals with everything from paint, sculpty, boil and pop method and dremels. Also tells you how you can make custom lightsabers using lego and plastic tubes. It's an excellent resoure and also is illustrated.
    They also have a section of custom figures they have done over the years.
    Check it out.

I have never tried sculpty myself, have only used paint and styrene.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I will check that out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Cruel
    Can anyone help me out here?
    Never fear! Matt is here!

I would like to know how it is affixed to a figure
    This depends on what you are doing. When I do it I scuplt it on then I boil it. (NOTE: Get all sculpy on and boil BEFORE you paint- never boil a figure you have painted)

is it sculpted wet or dry,
    You shouldnt have to wet it at all unless you left it out for a long time or you are trying to get it really smooth (?). This stuff isnt like clay- you dont need water- just warm it up in your hands

how strong is it, and how permanent is it?
    Again, like placement, this depends on where it is and what you are doing. Its pretty strong but can still be scraped off no problem with an X-acto. Its pretty permanent but you have to be careful: I was making an E3 clone a long time ago (when pics first surfaced) and I melted a regular stormtrooper head while trying to bake the head crest, that was made of sculpy. So I got another stormtrooper head and I learned that you could boil the stuff (Dont use oven- its tooo hard to control and you always have to watch it..) so I boiled it and was latter shaving some of the stuff off making it straighter when it cracked and fell off... So you have to be carefull with it..

EDiT: here are some good sites-
    www.thecustomalliance.com
    www.ffurg.com
    Last edited by mastermatt24; 07-07-2005 at 11:32 PM.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush