Page 109 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1119

Thread: Reading!

In honor of the holiday, and the soon-to-be-run-over-and-over-again-on-TBS movie, I read Jean Shepherd's A Christmas Story. Not an adaptation of the movie, but a collection of essays from magazines published in the 1960s that became the basis of the movie. Most of the scenes are still there (with one notable exception I can think of), but if I could, I'd recommend reading this first before seeing the movie (I believe that is absolutely impossible for any human being over the age of 2 ). Still pretty humorous.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Have I recommended William Least Heat Moon's River Horse, where he traces their route via waterways while interjecting information about their journals and history, to you before?
    If you have I don't remember, I just made note of it and even better my local library has it. Thanks BCJ! :isobars:

I reached the one-book-read-per-week average with my 52nd in 2013, Loren D. Estleman's The Rocky Mountain Moving Picture Association. He's normally an author I like, but this one was not quite as engaging as his other books. It's a fictionalized account of a movie studio in 1913, where a shoestring budget would be an improvement. It is in Hollywood before it truly became Tinseltown (although there were flash-forwards throughout the story). An ice businessman's son (who loves writing, but hasn't been published yet) comes down to Los Angeles and ends up working with this studio as a screenwriter and more. It moved too slowly at the start and then too quickly at the end. It was decent.

My Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Yeah its a kids book I know, but I LOVED it as a kid. Its probably the book I've read the most in my life, why did I read it again? I'm not sure it popped into my head so what the heck. In short the book is about a kid from NYC who spends a year in the Catskills doing all kinds of cool stuff that a 12 year old from the city wouldn't know how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    My Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Yeah its a kids book I know, but I LOVED it as a kid.
    I just saw the new Mary Poppins movie, and once our local libraries re-open after the holidays, that book's on my list (LISTS... :drool: ) to read. And some recent young adult books are often better than the adult fictions being written now. I like an eclectic reading span. Glad you enjoyed re-reading that!

By the way, here are my 2013 reading stats:

52 total books, about 14,900 pgs., 287 pgs. per
    Summer: 29 books = about 8500 pgs.; 293 pgs. per (10 summers, 294 books = about 79,400 pgs., 270 pgs. per)

Two short "kids" ones to begin the year.

Obert Skye's Potterwookiee. I stumbled across this title in a library search many months back, and I finally found it available. It's a series where a sensitive, average, picked-on kid has creatures appear in his closet as a mixture of two known characters (first book: Wonkenstein of Willy Wonka & Frankenstein's monster, and next one: supposed to be Pinocula of Pinocchio & Dracula I assume); see if you can figure out the combo in this book. It's funny, and the simple drawings by the author throughout make for more sight gags. I won't be reading the whole series, but this one was enough.

P.L. Travers' Mary Poppins. Having seen the recent bio-pic, I wanted to read the first book itself (there's also a biography that much of the movie was based on, but it's been checked out from the library lately). Certainly not the Disney version of the title character. Maybe if I read the others in the series, I'd appreciate her more; but to be honest, she's not very likable. Vain, defensive, overly-critical (even for a nanny), slightly vindictive; this is one of those times where Disney greatly improved a story in its movie, instead of just changing a non-happily ever after plot.

Clear and Present Danger. This was my work and workout book and just finished it the other night. I first read this one when it came out 20 years ago (yeah, it's been that long). I forgot how much it differed from the movie version. The book would've made for a better movie.

World War Z. The in-laws got me a copy for Christmas, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. When I started, I knew it was different from the movie, which I saw. Kinda wished the producers would've followed the book closer. Could visualize HBO or some other cable channel turning each chapter into an episode.

Hello Sis...Letters From A Marine by Jake Hermann. Ok, this isn't a book that is available for purchase it was a privatley made book. The Marine in question SFC Jake Hermann is the father of a co worker who fought in the Pacific in WWII and his sister saved the letters he wrote home and all these years later they were put into book form for the rest of the family. My co worker know's I read lots of history and we've talked some about his dads service so when he asked if I wanted to read it I jumped on the chance. All in all the letters don't reveal much as to whats going on because they were censored, but they do give an excellent sense of what service members asked people back home about. As an aside he fought in Saipan, Okinawa, Tinian and was in Japan for Occupational Duty, including Nagasaki not all that long after the bomb was dropped (I"m not sure how long but not very).

On The Far Side Of The Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Its the follow up to her 1959 book My Side Of The Mountain. Sam is still in the Adirondacks and now his sister is staying with him. While the first book is roughly a year in length this book takes place over a few days, although it does bridge the gap between the end of MSOTM and OTFSOTM.

Lewis & Clark by Nick Bertozzi. Its a graphic novel about the preperation to the trip across the continent by L&C along with the Corps of Discovery. Its actually quite well done, although the author takes some liberties with the historical record.