Page 110 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1180

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Lewis & Clark by Nick Bertozzi. Its a graphic novel about the preperation to the trip across the continent by L&C along with the Corps of Discovery. Its actually quite well done, although the author takes some liberties with the historical record.
    Yeah, the radioactive spider bit seems too hack to me.

I am trying to read during the school year (which is not easy for me to find time for ). Little passages of a 500+ pager at a time right now.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Yeah, the radioactive spider bit seems too hack to me.
    Hmm I don't remember that, I guess I must've missed that page.

Freightful's Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Its the third in a series of books about a boy who runs away and lives in the woods of upstate New York. This time the book is centered around Freightful the peregrine falcon that the boy Sam raised and trained. Its not as good as the last book which wasn't as good as the first book, that said its still a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I am trying to read during the school year (which is not easy for me to find time for ). Little passages of a 500+ pager at a time right now.
    A three-day weekend with not much grading to do let me do just that. Brian Jay Jones' Jim Henson: The Biography was extremely well researched and endnoted; full of details I didn't even know about. Frank Oz likes to cuss, apparently. Jim wasn't faithful but did love his family. Kermit came before Rowlf. He loved technology and sadly, that sometimes affected the stories he wanted to tell (G. Lucas? learn from this?). Lived in England quite a bit. Died very quickly. But the book is great.

Wow; a 3-day off period and I get delusions of grandeur that I can read whenever I want. Many students have talked about John Green's books, specifically The Fault in Our Stars. So I read this very quick read. About teenagers and their issues with cancer. Very interesting; included some SW and literary references. I got the edition with author Q&A in the back. Don't know if I'll become a regular reader of his, though.

Kenobi ~ by John Jackson Miller. Obbers lands on a certain twin sunned planet and shenanigans ensue. Actually it was pretty good, it took a bit for me to get into it but it was good. Obi gets a new first name, learns about Krayt Dragon calls, Tuskens and embezzlement all while keeping an eye on Luke.

Got an ARC of Honor Among Thieves. So far (which isn't too far yet, actually), not bad, but a little typical of Han-centric stories.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Got an ARC of Honor Among Thieves. So far (which isn't too far yet, actually), not bad, but a little typical of Han-centric stories.
    Do you think that Disney will ret-con his backstory about his chin scar, now that they have the franchise? And just HOW do you get these preview books, Chux? :jealous:

I have a wife who somehow got chosen for Amazon Vine. The good thing is there are free books. The bad thing is that she orders all sorts of crap because it's free, and now it's just crap in the house.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

A four-day weekend with very little grading means I can read. I can read!

William Least Heat-Moon's An Osage Journey to Europe: 1827-1830. It's a translation of French documents about six Native Americans who travelled to Paris and other European cities. They were seen as a sideshow by many, and taken advantage of by some of the Americans who took them there. Many racist and ignorant comments from the time, but in comparing three different sources, you get to what likely was true.

William Shatner's Tek Power. I had this book in my possession for a couple years. So I started it, realizing it was a very fast read. It's about a future where people are denying that a virtual reality "fad" is addictive, where an African American president gets replaced by an android replica, and there's an earthquake that comes out of nowhere. The main character seems to get out of his scrapes far too easily, while everyone else seemingly dies with no problem. It was so-so.