Page 25 of 116 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1155

Thread: Reading!

  1. #241
    Still going...

    Napoleon on the Art of War by Jay Luvaas. The editor pieced together letters, memoirs, and correspondences by Mssr. Bonaparte over the many years into a logically flowing text. I chose it because a poster here asked which Art of War I had read earlier, since I didn't know there were others besides the Sun-Tzu version. This same editor compiled one on Frederick the Great, too. One thing I'll say, Napoleon was very detail oriented and clear.

    Sliding Scales by Alan Dean Foster. I found this book in a library sale, and I wanted to try some more non-SW sci-fi. I've read a little by ADF before (and he's written 2.9 Star Wars EU novels, also). I now know what it feels like to enter an established "universe" without knowing it well; apparently the Pip and Flinx series has quite a bit of detail to it that I don't know. ADF sure likes alliteration in his style.

    Now I'm at 22 books and over 6K pages tallied.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

  2. #242
    Sandra Cisnero's Woman Hollering Creek was a sort of anthology of short stories set in Texas. I read this because it's a book in our school's teach-able library. It's still in her same style, which takes some getting used to to appreciate.

    I stumbled upon Stan Lee and the Rise and Fall of the American Comic Book while in the library. This was a wonderful read, even if it Dumbledores the mythos of Stan the Man (meaning that the all-good guy view has a few smudges). I didn't realize what had gone on to "create" the Marvel Comics universe, and the troubles before, during, and since the 1961 origin. Well researched, fair in its treatement of most parties (except Jim Shooter is raked over the coals, then whipped and tarred-and-feathered as a bad dude), and funny sometimes but mainly insightful. You see how the Stan Lee of the WHtbaSH? television show is the way he is.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

  3. #243
    I noticed this book at the library, and was compelled, nay, required to read it. First off, I know that he felled the trees and pressed the wood into pulp to create the paper for the book, as well as inventing the type font (Type Kwon Do) for the publisher. He also delivered all the copies (a full week early) to all the distributors himself, on horseback. That said... The Justice Riders by Chuck Norris and three other writers was NOT filled with trite cituations and cliched dialogue and characters. It was NOT overly preachy and anachronistic. The characters' names and behaviors were NOT sterotypical. It was NOT usual that the group was seldom on horses, where a person would be considered a rider, and the use of martial arts in the 1860s America was NOT out of place. Therefore, I will NOT give this novel a poor rating, so as to avoid beign pummeled to death by Mr. Norris.

    Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morrie was chosen because 1) I think I was subsciously influenced by its mention in a The Simpsons Movie scene, 2) I hadn't read an "A" author this summer, and 3) it was one of those "Oh, you haven't read that one yet?" type books. Yes I cried, no I didn't laugh out loud (as some reviews stated), yes I felt sadness and pity and confidence. It was short, easy to read, and worthwhile.

    Getting closer to my goal of 30 books (at 26 now, 7000+ pages) for the summer, as I slowly run out of summer days...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

  4. #244
    Alternating right now between Wheel of Time series (started with New Spring, Eye of the World and Great Hunt). Now taking a break and going to do a few Jack Ryan books from Tom Clancy, starting with Hunt for Red October (currently reading). Will go and read Inferno when it comes out and go back and read a few more Wheel of Time and than a few more Tom Clancy maybe even classic Bond books, before the next SW books.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Napoleon on the Art of War by Jay Luvaas. The editor pieced together letters, memoirs, and correspondences by Mssr. Bonaparte over the many years into a logically flowing text. I chose it because a poster here asked which Art of War I had read earlier, since I didn't know there were others besides the Sun-Tzu version. This same editor compiled one on Frederick the Great, too.
    Yup that was me that asked. I have a annodated version of Napoleon's Art of War, I think I'll have to look into getting Mr. Luvaas' version as well. As a side note BCJ besides Napoleon and Sun Tzu's I have: Frederick the Great's Art of War, Carl Von Clausewitz On War and also The Tao of War. I also have a number of books on light infantry tactics from the 1830's, General von Stubben's manual for troops, the attack and defense of fortified places etc.

    As for my reading I finished the other day In At The Death the final book on Harry Turtledove's series where the South broke away from the North. Right now I'm working on a book called Onward We Charge, which is about Darby's Rangers in World War II.

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Yup that was me that asked. I have a annodated version of Napoleon's Art of War, I think I'll have to look into getting Mr. Luvaas' version as well. As a side note BCJ besides Napoleon and Sun Tzu's I have: Frederick the Great's Art of War, Carl Von Clausewitz On War and also The Tao of War. I also have a number of books on light infantry tactics from the 1830's, General von Stubben's manual for troops, the attack and defense of fortified places etc.

    As for my reading I finished the other day In At The Death the final book on Harry Turtledove's series where the South broke away from the North. Right now I'm working on a book called Onward We Charge, which is about Darby's Rangers in World War II.
    I think I'm tapped out on 'war' books this summer right now.

    Does Mr. Turtledove mainly write "alternative history" novels? I saw one with Stalin, Hirohito, Churchill, and Hitler on the cover (I assume it's about them versus the USA in WWII). I read one of his this summer (on different world generals throughout history).

    On a more odd note, I finished Game of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, the newspaper reporters who covered the BALCO steroids trail, a couple innings before Bonds hit his 756th HR last night. That was surreal, watching him bat (doubling and singling, plus scoring 2 runs, like he used to in the past) while reading of what happened the previous 8 years or so. Hard to feel his record is legit after reading this book.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

  7. #247
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Does Mr. Turtledove mainly write "alternative history" novels?
    Yup, while he has written plenty of 'sci fiy' alt history type books I keep to the more 'pure' alt. history. The "Timeline 191" is what got me interested in Turtledove although I've read Ruled Britannia (Spanish invasion of Britian succeds) and the Infamy series (Japan after Dec. 7 invades and takes over Hawaii).

    On a more odd note, I finished Game of Shadows by Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, the newspaper reporters who covered the BALCO steroids trail, a couple innings before Bonds hit his 756th HR last night. That was surreal, watching him bat (doubling and singling, plus scoring 2 runs, like he used to in the past) while reading of what happened the previous 8 years or so. Hard to feel his record is legit after reading this book.
    I read GoS about a year ago and there are some REALLY interesting things in there for sure.

  8. #248
    I have now tied my "record" of books read in a summer with 29. I feel like Barry Bonds; now all I need is a head moderator to engage in a "Herculean effort" by waiting until I break this hallowed mark (steroids-free, too ).

    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esqivel. Another of the in-the-school's-teaching-library books, this was a "cookbook" of monthly recipes intertwined with a story that actually had me shocked at the end. Nothing earth-shattering, but still unexpected. I liked this one, even though I didn't think I would.

    The End of Harry Potter? by David Langford. After finishing HPatDH, I thought it'd be fun to read about others' ideas after knowing whether they're off-base, dead-on, or just not right. Kind of funny, surprisingly well-researched (on Rowling's possible influences in literature), even includes a couple SW references.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

  9. #249
    History is made! Today, the 30th book read in the summer, broke the all-time record # of 29 books. It was The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. DuBois, a semi-biographical historical account of African-American experience through the beginning of the 20th century. He used logical and reasoned arguments on how to address some problems and issues; if only more people would listen to those points, maybe we'd have a better world in which to live.

    So, here's the back-of-my-trading-card stats:

    Bel-Cam Jos
    Ht: 8 1/2. Wt: 11. Reads: L to R. Drafted: 1138th Rd., Pitt Pirates.
    Year Books Pages Avg.Pgs.
    2004 28 7200 257
    2005 29 8800 303
    2006 25 5900 236
    2007 30 8000 267*
    Total 112 29900 267

    * = statistics still active
    # = all-time for a certain hyphenated Forumite
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    History is made! Today, the 30th book read in the summer, broke the all-time record # of 29 books. It was The Souls of Black Folk by W.E.B. DuBois, a semi-biographical historical account of African-American experience through the beginning of the 20th century. He used logical and reasoned arguments on how to address some problems and issues; if only more people would listen to those points, maybe we'd have a better world in which to live.

    So, here's the back-of-my-trading-card stats:

    Bel-Cam Jos
    Ht: 8 1/2. Wt: 11. Reads: L to R. Drafted: 1138th Rd., Pitt Pirates.
    Year Books Pages Avg.Pgs.
    2004 28 7200 257
    2005 29 8800 303
    2006 25 5900 236
    2007 30 8000 267*
    Total 112 29900 267

    * = statistics still active
    # = all-time for a certain hyphenated Forumite
    And all done without the use of steroids!
    Job well done, BCJ!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO