Page 26 of 116 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Two more read, and these were weird ones.

A bio of the reclusive billionaire called The Passions of Howard Hughes by his former wife Terry Moore and another writer Jerry Rivers. Dude was a freak! I'd heard that the movie The Aviator was based on a book written, but when I read some reviews and the book jacket of that one, I thought it'd be too salacious (crumb?) and lewd. But this one wasn't too far off that. This was uncomfortable to read at times, as well as being simplistic and "movie like" for me.

Emile Zola's Therese Raquin. I only picked this because I haven't read many 'Z' authors, and it was a short book. It started out slow and dull, but then it got odd, bizarre, gross, and downright freaky sometimes. It was kind of like "The Telltale Heart" by Poe, in that characters express guilt at what they've done. Weird, but pretty good.

Might only have time for one or two books left for the summer.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Finished Blaze by Richard Bachman, now reading Firestarter by Stephen King.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    Finished Blaze by Richard Bachman, now reading Firestarter by Stephen King.
    Sweet... two different authors. Like the flame motif, too.

Might have justed finished my last summer book, #33.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I liked this one, even if it was gut-wrenching to read at times. Fictionalized reality, it's set over 40-some years in Afghanistan, America, and Pakistan, and it traces the life of a family. My school has been considering it as an English book for students, and I'd probably agree.

I'm starting another novel, but don't know if there's time to get it doen before next week's return to school planning. :ugh:

I was able to squeeze in one last, short novel: Morality Play by Barry Unsworth. It's set in the 14th century, and written in that time's style, about a traveling acting troupe that acts out a murder in a small town that ends up finding the true killer. It was alright; I only chose it because I've read so few 'U' authors (see my statements for 'Z' and 'X' authors ).

So, final stats for ;07 summer are...

34 books, 9100 pages, 268 average length book.

More specific details...

By categories:
    Star Wars - 1
    Sci-Fi/Horror - 2
    Biography - 5
    History - 4
    Mystery - 1
    Romance - 1
    Western - 1
    Young Adult - 2
    General Fiction - 9
    Movie Tie-In - 3
    Miscellaneous - 5
    (Subgroup: books with 'secret' in title - 4)

Authors by letters of alphabet - 20 (none of I, O, P, Q, X, Y)
    Most of any letter - S (5: Steel, Steinbeck (2), Sebold, Sun-Tzu)

So, over the last four summers: 116 books read, 31,000 pages about. Too bad so many things are coming to end now...

That's bad; almost two months since my last book read. Stupid "responsibility" and "employment."

Any-woo, I finished a book, and it was a SW book, too. The lame Legacy of the Force series got a little better, with this 5th book (or is it the 4th? 6th? 1138th? I dunno anymore), but it is robbing the Prequels big time. I am saddened by the direction it's going, but I guess I'll have to wait for another Zahn book, or the Death Star one that sounds cool.

I'm starting Stephen Colbert's book, and it's funny from the first five pages or so (nice alliteration, Bel-Cam). It's written like the show, so it should be subtlely overt in its humor.

There've been a few overtly subtle things in I Am America (And So Can You! ) so far; I'm about 1/3 through. Here's a picture of the author photo on the back cover jacket; it's drawn by Joe Quesada:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SColbertBk.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	16176  

Finished I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Colbert. I could hear his voice inflections as I read (just like you mentioned in the book, Mr. ColberT ). Funny, and not-at-all-funny at times. Not quite as good as Jon Stewart's America: The Book, but less crude. That makes 688 books tallied, but it might be a while before I get to another one (Dave Barry's got a new book, so I'll try for that one first).

Currently reading The Truce at Bakura to be followed by Death Star...I can't wait!

Finished The Truce at Bakura. I thought it was a decent book, got through it in less than a week. Now reading Death Star!