Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Just finished My Boring-As$ Life by Kevin Smith. Fun read from start to finish.

I'm struggling through Band of Brothers, which I borrowed from Cappy months ago. Not sure why I'm having such a tough time because I really enjoy this type of book.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

A surprisingly good young adult hardback SW book was The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader by Rhyder Windham. It compiles the time from pre-TPM to the end of ROJ, including some other EU stories (from some obscure Marvel Comics storylines, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Shadows of the Empire, etc.). Told at a simple reading level, but well constructed. It's in a cool cardboard slip cover with a nice Drew Struzan painting.

Trying to start Death Star, but might have to wait a bit. Interesting, that this book size is no bigger than 2 meters.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I enjoyed The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader book too. It's a quick read and the slipcover (mask) is clever. I've enjoyed most of the "young reader" books for Wyndham and Watson for Star Wars.
    Just got done with Death Star...made some comments about it over in that thread...
    Saving the new Republic Commando: True Colors for when I'm traveling later in the month...

Currently reading the Killer Elite, about the Intelligence Support Agency, the military's most secret special ops group. It's an okay read. Thought it would be better. Glad I didn't buy it.

Read a few other interesting books in the last few months. One was called Storm on the Horizon, about the Marines at the battle of Khafji during the first Gulf War.

Read a book by Dan Kurtzman about the Germans planning to invade the Vatican and kidnapping/and or killing the Pope. The title escapes me right now. It was an okay read. Sections of it were redundant, but interesting. The Pope supposedly knew about the Holocaust but was hesitant to speak out about it out of fear of what would happen to Catholics who were secretly hiding Jews.

Also reread Alastair McLean's Where Eagles Dare. Haven't read that one since junior high.

Going to get the next Last of the Jedi and Republic Commando books for the Thanksgiving holiday.

The library didn't have Death Star the last time I checked.

Currently reading Deeper by Jeff Long book 2 in the "Descent" trilogy. In "Descent" man discovers a lost race of demons living under the earth that have had a "civilized" society before man and has used them as slaves for many centuries. man soon discover riches and physical changes take place underground. A really good book. "Deeper" goes further into man's exploration of the underground

Finished Death Star last week and just read through Darth Bane in about 5 days. I enjoyed this book a lot, an easy read for me because I didn't want to put it down! Now onto re-reading the Zahn trilogy starting with Heir to the Empire. Hopefully I can get into a good flow or reading the 30-40 books I haven't read yet up through the NJO and beyond.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Currently reading Tom Brokaw's Boom! Voices from the Sixties. So far, so good. (I'm a Boomer myself, kiddies )

Also on deck are two more Brokaw's I asked Santa for: The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections and An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation.

I read The Greatest Generation quite a while back and wanted to catch up/follow up on the others.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I'm currently reading Michael Lewis' "Moneyball" about the early 00s Oakland A's and Billy Beane, more specifically their use of complicated computer models for drafting rather than picking the guy who appears to be best.

On deck: "Guns, Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond, "I Am America (And So Can You!)" by Stephen Colbert and "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Dick Winters".
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I'd almost forgotten what it was like to finish an actual book. And the book I finished was yet another so-so SW one, Republic Commando: True Colors, by Karen Traviss. Problem with these are that I don't really care about the characters. She's trying to make the clones more human, but they're coming off as too stiff and dull. Sorry.

Trying to start the next Legacy book Fury, and maybe get to a non-SW book, too, before this holiday vacation ends.

For a change, I was really into a SW novel, Fury by Aaron Allston. I've really like his style, as far back as his fill-in with the X-Wing Squadron series. It had a nice build up, and the end of the book wasn't really a cliffhanger, although you could say that the last chapter leaves many questions. I've loathed this series for the most part, but book 5 (or is it 7? I forget) was pretty good.

Going to start Mockingbird the semi-biography of TKAM author Harper Lee, that I've had on my bookshelf for a couple months. Unless my library gets the next Darth Bane novel in soon.