Page 28 of 118 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I kept my holiday tradition of reading a SW book over the Christmas holiday. Since I didn't have an extended vacation, like in years past, I went with a couple of young adult books.

Read the first two Jedi Apprentice books and am finishing up the young Boba Fett adventures #3 tonight.

I'll have to track down more of the Jedi Apprentice books. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about pre-padawan Obi-Wan.

I've been wanting to get Death Star from the library, but it's always checked out. I might read X-Wing: Wraith Squadron in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    I kept my holiday tradition of reading a SW book over the Christmas holiday. Since I didn't have an extended vacation, like in years past, I went with a couple of young adult books.

I've been wanting to get Death Star from the library, but it's always checked out. I might read X-Wing: Wraith Squadron in the meantime.
    Nothing wrong with young adult SW EU; some of the best reads are from that genre. And a great tradition, BTW!

I've found the wonder of "the hold." My library charges $.50 per hold, and it prevents the other holder from extending their check-out. Plus, I feel like my 4 bits is helping literacy grow in my community.

In my march towards 700 total books read, I had a coworker give me some short ha-ha nostalgia books, Growing Up Catholic and More Growing Up Catholic that weren't too bad. And Mockingbird is still on deck.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Megatron: Origin arrived and I breezed through it yesterday. Ugh. This was as mediocre as the rest of the IDW Transformersverse has been good. It isn't a full origin, and it doesn't fit in with any version of G1 Transformers, including the one it's set in!

So you're meaning to tell me that the totally deranged would-be galactic despot was a miner who lost his job, was heavily influenced by Frenzy and Rumble (of all people), and provided weapons by Ratbat because he thought he could turn a profit from an uprising? Huh? And why are "young" characters like Bumblebee already Autobot warriors long before there even is a faction called the Decepticons? Why didn't a certain one-eyed SOB factor in?

If this is the sort of stuff we can expect from writers other than Furman, IDW had better make plans to never release anything else without his involvement. This was a waste of $13.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Starting volume 4 of SIN CITY, THAT YELLOW BASTARD. After I finish this series, i'm going to start the DARK TOWER series by Stephen King. Looking forward to it!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Nothing wrong with young adult SW EU; some of the best reads are from that genre. And a great tradition, BTW!
    Thanks, Bel-Cam. I've been reading a SW book at Christmas for about the last five years.

I started Wraith Squadron the other night.

I need to make a nice 'donation' at the local library before I can check out anything else.

The Dark Tower is 4/7 of a great series.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

<bump>

The Golem: A New Translation of the Classic Play and Selected Short Stories. More research, though it's quite an enjoyable read. You guys must look at my "research" and think I'm schizo.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

My own thread and haven't posted here in 3 months...

Been on a bit of a kick lately, since the new year:

I Am Legend
    by Richard Matheson - Good story, but shorter than I expected at only 150-some pages. The other short stories after were all pretty good. Just need to see the movie now.

The Dangerous Book For Boys by Hal and Gonn Iggulden - "Recapture Sunday afternoons and long summer days. The perfect book for every boy from 8 to 80."
    An awesome reference book or sorts. From building tree forts and go-karts to history to science to coin tricks to literature to astronomy to first-aid to bugs and dinosaurs, this book has a bit if everything. Flip through it in the store and you'll want to buy it.

Star Wars - Last of the Jedi #9: Master of Deception by Jude Watson - Good penultimate chapter to the story. As I said in it's own thread, I'm mainly reading to see how it ends.

Y: The Last Man #1: Unmanned by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra - The first trade of the comic book series. A mysterious plague instantly wipes out every male on the planet (man and animal), except one man and his male monkey. I've heard nothing but great things about the series and I got a great deal on this one. Very well done and engaging. Can't wait until I get the next one.

The Greatest Generation
    by Tom Brokaw - Had this for quite a while and just started reading it a few days ago. Good stuff, but it can seem a little bit repetitive at times when discussing these fascinating people today.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I have two books in progress (normally don't do that, as it confuses plots/details at times), and once they're done that'll give me 700 total read. Woo hoo.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Finished Courtship of Princess Leia a couple days ago, not a bad read...now onto a King book before I get back in the SW universe....Picked up Duma Key and am about 30 pages in....might read some more tonight.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!