Page 31 of 117 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Just finished up Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Its a book I've tried to read twice before and never got past the first chapter (the futuristic military language used always took me out of it), but gave it another try and stuck with it. Quite different that the movie (but I knew that going in), but still a pretty good read. I'm glad I finally read it.

Now I need to find something else to read. If I can't decide on something I haven't read yet, I'm leaning toward re-reading Michael Chabon's Summerland or Kavalier and Clay, both great books.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Finished Lone Survivor over the weekend. It was a good bok. I recommend it.

As a break, I started one of Jude Watson's SW books, Deceptions. Good so far.

I'm on the reserve list for Death Star at the library.

Anyone ever read Greg Iles? Recently finished 3 of his books and am now on a fourth. They are fantastic murder mystery type books.

Blood Memory
    Turning Angel
    True Evil - my favorite (it's about experimenting with injecting cancer into people to murder them without a trace)
    Third Degree

Finished up the latest SW Legacy book too, now patiently (not really) waiting for the last book in June...damn that's a long time!

Death Star is one of the best SW books I've ever read! Hope you enjoy it OC
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Deoxyribonucleic View Post
    Anyone ever read Greg Iles? Recently finished 3 of his books and am now on a fourth. They are fantastic murder mystery type books.

Blood Memory
    Turning Angel
    True Evil - my favorite
    Third Degree
    :
    Yes, I read Iles's first two books, Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross, but none of his others. The first two had WWII-ties, and WWII is a hobby of mine.

Finished Deception.

I really like how Watson weaves in characters from other books into different stories. The Jedi Garen in Last of the Jedi makes an appearance in Deception, and the Xanatos character from the Qui Gon and Obi Wan books pops up everywhere.

I might pick up the latest Republic Commando book, or another Watson book. Haven't decided yet.

just started Terry Pratchett's Monstrous regiment. for some reson I've been reading the later discworld books out of order. I've yet to buy Making money and I've read all the rest besides MR and The last hero. Just finished Night watch after several abortive attempts.
    Mr. Pratchett has got a little sour and dour in recent books. there's still fantastic dialogue and wit but his waffling's seem a bit jaded. There again he's been diagnosed with Althzheimers so I'm not surprised he's been a bit grumpy of recent years.
    He says he'll carry on writing even when it's just dictation. he didn't say if his writing included anymore Discworld novels though.

After about 5 or 6 months of a couple pages every few weeks, I got through Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force. This was similar to the Illustrated SW Univ. where they writer weaves facts into a diary style narrative. This one was pretty good; the Afterword was a bit of a surprise, too.

To get into the mood of the current MLB season, I just started Juiced: With A Bunch of Other Subtitles in the Rest of this Should've-Been-Short-One-Word Title.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

As with most autobiographies that are defensive and written to address issues against the writer, Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits & How Baseball Got Big "written by" Jose Canseco was open and "honest" at times, while contradictory and biased at others. A sad commentary on sports, that the illusion we fans have (or have lost, perhaps never even had at all) about the honest play and fair competition is gone, dead, buried, and obituary-ed. Not well written, but not a piece of junk either. I have no desire to read his sequel. I'm looking to check out a bio on Honus Wagner; that time of baseball (was it hyphenated back then? or two words?) was free of corruption... unless you count intentional spiking, racism and discrimination, poor treatment of women, spitballs, alcoholism, low wages,... wait a minute!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Finished Tatooine Ghost, now a re-read from a couple years ago, Jedi Search.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    Finished Tatooine Ghost, now a re-read from a couple years ago, Jedi Search.
    I remember reading that book when I had to go drive into the depths of Los Angeles to go take a test for the Probation Dept. I had that book with me, THANK THE MAKER, because there was much "down" time!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!