Page 33 of 112 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

There is also a book out on/by Buck Compton and also one on Donald Malarkey. There already has been two books on Winters and David Keynon Webster wrote a book in the 60's or 70's.... its quite dry, I have yet to get through it.

I read Band of Brothers long before it was turned into the mini-series.

A lot of books have come out from Easy Company vets since the show first aired. I'll have to see what the library has.

I've been reading my GI Joe 2-pk comics I just opened recently.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I have now only 2 books going, finished Naming the World by editor Bret Anthony Johnston. Great book for creative writing skills. Only have to get through the junior novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark (plus the other two films, but not yet) and the Intellectual Devotional: American History.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

How have I missed all the cool young adult work that Ryder Windham [sp?] done? He wrote the junior version of Raiders, with the revisionist history title of Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, which is basically a cleaned-up scene-by-scene adaptation of the film. Not bad; even added a few details (Cpt. Katanga's first name, name of the U-boat, brief summary of Indy's periscope sub ride, etc.). Have the other 2 films in the same collection left to go, but I'm about 50 pages into the Making of IJ book, which is quite facinating.

BTW, this recent book was #708 all time, but I plan to be more of a writer this summer than reader, so my persoanl record of 34 books read last summer is safe for the moment (someone else feel free to blow me out of the water).

I am almost done with my Indiana Jones kick of books, finishing the young adult novelizations of the last two films. All innuendo between the relationship Elsa had with both Henrys is gone, all profanity is either ignored or covered up, but there has been some nice background info (Prologue to temple of Doom, has Indy waiting to speak with his father until he gets a letter from Shanghai about a diamond, other unseen scenes). Next and last on my list is the Crystal Skull novel (here's to waiting in lines at airports! ).

On Friday I finished reading 1945. Its an alt. history book on what if Japan didn't give up in August of 1945 and the war continues. It was pretty interesting and quick read. Today I got a book called Operation: Downfall, which was the code name for the invasion plans of Japan in November 1945 and March 1946.

I've read Downfall. You'll enjoy it.

I'm reading the latest Jack Higgins novel now.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    I've read Downfall. You'll enjoy it.
    I've read the outline of the invasion in the past, the sheer number of soldiers, sailors and Marines that would have been involved is mind blowing.

What I remember about the invasion plans (and it's not necessarily from Downfall) that all the airborne units that were in Europe were going to be shipped to the Pacific for the invasion, and the number of casualities.