Page 37 of 118 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I crossed another one off of the "started yet for whatever reason never finished list" last night when I completed "Onward We Charge: The Heroic Story of Darby's Rangers in World War II." Now if I could ever get around to finishing The Journals of Lewis and Clark (I have about 4 volumes to go) and The Odyssey.....

Finished a weird, weird novel, The Witch of Portobello, by Paulo Coelho (author of The Alchemist, a novel on my top ten list of all time). Written from the points of view of various characters (kind of like As I Lay Dying by Faulkner or KIngsolver's The Poisonwood Bible), it was just odd. I didn't dislike it, but could've really get into it (was a bit of a "twist" near the end, but not exactly). Might just read one more book, to give me an even 20 for the summer... but that's close to what I said last year and ended with 34.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Might just read one more book, to give me an even 20 for the summer... but that's close to what I said last year and ended with 34.
    I'd forgotten I still had checked out A Lesson Before Dying, by Ernest Gaines. This was a good one, tough to read because of the stubbornness of the characters. Kind of like what The Green Mile would be if you took out the mysticism and "magic," or similar to Dead Man Walking.

And, what would be an appropriate last book if it ends up that way, was Travels With Charley, Steinbeck's narrative of his drive around the country with his poodle. I haven't smiled while reading in a long time. I finished this one today, in the air conditioning of a local library. If I get off my butt and write my OWN novel, this one can serve as an inspiration. But that makes 21 read, anyway.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Read Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice #8 yesterday. Nicely written, fast-paced.

Finished Firestarter last night, and actually enjoyed it a lot, the ending could have been a little better, but what can you do...saw that the movie was on too so I DVRed that for a viewing soon.

Onto 'Salem's Lot.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Finished the last (hooray! ) of the Legacy novels, Invincible, by Troy Denning. Check the "Not happy with the... EU" thread for some spoilers, if you wish.

With the return to teaching tomorrow, my summer officially ends today, and therefore my summer reading comes to a close (a metaphor for books, BTW ). I saw a clip from "Baseball's Golden Age," or something on FOX sports, and Ray Robinson, the author of Iron Horse, a bio of Lou Gehrig, read a passage from that book (until Alec Baldwin took over the voice work, that is), so it inspired me to locate a copy. It was both refreshing and disheartening to read of that "better" time when athletics was (somewhat) more pure, yet filled with negatives that time has purged from being out in the open. Sad to hear of his quick collapse from ALS, too.

Final numbers: 23 books read this summer, about 5300 pages (avg. 230 per book). Last five summers: 139 books, about 36,000 pages (avg. 260 per).

"After the bo[oks] of summer have gone..."
    Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthQuack View Post
    Finished Firestarter last night, and actually enjoyed it a lot, the ending could have been a little better, but what can you do...saw that the movie was on too so I DVRed that for a viewing soon.

Onto 'Salem's Lot.
    I loved 'Salem's Lot. Pet Cemetery was really good too - in fact, it's my favorite S. King book.
    To those that like to critize me, I say: It is a lot easier to say something critical than it is to say some thing while tied up and in my trunk. - Jack Handy

Finished the CW novelization. I'll post my comments in the proper forum.

Finished Republic Commando: True Colors. I enjoyed it and can't wait for the next book.

But I'm going to take a break from the SW universe. Gonna read about the Big Red One on D-Day, starting tonight.