Page 39 of 116 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I just finished reading "Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's 'Band of Brothers" by Sgt. Don Malarkey. Nothing all that new per say compared to the other BoB books out there, I'm happy to have read it, I know Buck Compton has a book that I'd like to read as well.

I read a book. A book that didn't have anything to do with Star Wars. Wow. Only took two months to finish. It was 239 pages long. I am embarassed by several of those details. It was Dandelion Wine by noted sci-fi writer Ray Bradbury, but this was a wonderfully nostalgic look at the Midwest of the US in 1928. Sad at times, fun at times, thoughtful at times, confusing at times; I enjoyed it throughout. Ironically, all my other responsibilities made it tough to read a short book about the freedom a boy has over the summertime.

Now, my pile of other books can perhaps get smaller, as my have-read list gets longer.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I started reading CW: Wild Space. It's pretty good so far.

So far, I've read a total of 22 books this year.
    Some long, some sort, some graphic novels.

15 Novels
    3 Shorter "teen" novels.
    3 Comic Collections/Graphic Novels
    1 Non-fiction/reference (I guess)

I may be able to squeeze in another one or two shorter books before the new year, but it'll depend on their length. I know I'm getting one novel and 4 comic/graphic novels for Christmas.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Currently I'm reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. It is my mother-in-law's copy. I picked it up a month ago, read the prologue, and was hooked. I think it's an Oprah book club pick, but no matter. A mute boy, dogs, a wicked uncle... good stuff.

Finished the very short (even with wide margins, too) Harry Potter "book" The Tales of Beedle the Bard, which I had transposed "the" and "Beedle" before (thought it was "... of the Beedle Bard" by mistake). It's okay, but far below my reading level (but does have some "big" words; kids, break out that dictionary) with some good morals and lessons for younger readers.

Ah, time off for reading...

For Christmas yesterday, I received the following WWII-era book from my son:

Darwin's War
    Science, Politics, Warfare, Faith and Sacrifices: The 416th Bomb Group's Sacrifices to Defeat Eugenics

by L.N. Smith, MD
    (his father was a member of the 416th as was my uncle).

*Whew!* The title is almost as long as the book....546 pages! I've barely made progress in it, as we had family at the house yesterday and will experience an even greater onslaught of holiday well-wishing relatives tomorrow. I hope to get a few minutes' reading in today, though :crossedfingers:.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I am currently reading "Do The Right Thing" by Mike Huckabee.

I picked it up a month ago, during one of his book signings, got my autographed copy for 40% below cover price!

I started in, but had to take a break, just now picking it back up.
    May the force be with you.

Just received a late Christmas gift:

Air Support for Patton's Third Army
    by John J. Sullivan. It's about the 9th Tactical Air Force which was tasked with keeping up with Patton's advance to Germany. It's another book I've wanted to help enlighten me about the 9th Air force in general, and the 416th Bomb Group in particular. It should be a fast read: less than 200 pages.

BTW, I'm just over 100 pages into Darwin's War. Not bad considering my house is currently overrun with relatives of every age.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    BTW, I'm just over 100 pages into Darwin's War. Not bad considering my house is currently overrun with relatives of every age.
    I've found the gaps in conversations, bathroom breaks, luggage packing, etc. that allow for a brief chapter read here-and-there, as well. I've read about 150 pages of CW: Wild Space and 50 pages of the Art & Making of TFU with my uncle here this past week.