Page 40 of 116 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

currently reading the Clone Wars novel have about 40 pages left. going to read Millennium Falcon next or either Darth Bane: Rule of Two or Corscant Night : Street of Shadows, or the 2nd Republic Commando book. haven't decided yet.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I'm going to read the Republic Commando softcovers now. Than re-evaluate if I want to buy the Order 66 book.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

It was short, but got through The last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I gather that the DVD might be more of an impact, moreso than the book (which was pretty good, itself). I had wanted to finish it before '08 ended, but just got tired :lameexcuse: last night (I don't really like New Year's, which as a single person who doesn't like late nights or drinking, leaves me very little else to enjoy).

Am starting Luke Skywalker & the Shadows of Mindor, which wasn't in my library's catalogue system, but on the shelf when I stopped by. After one chapter, I can't give an opinion yet. Also have the two Rebel Force youth books, so I might be able to have read 6 books over this winter break (unless I actually grade the papers I need to get to ).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I'm five chapters into CW: Wild Space...

So far, pretty good. Miller reads more like Watson's "young reader" series than Traviss' more intense approach. I really liked it that it picked up immediately at the conclusion of AOTC and had some really intense character moments with the main cast.
    Even as it moves on in time to post "Battle of Christopus" (sp?), it still reads well. In fact, if Asoka was portrayed in the CW series more like this book instead of so mall-bratty, I'd probably appreciate her character more (even though I still think the whole concept of Anakin having a Padawan is flawed story-wise).

I'll post my thoughts on the rest of it when I finish...

I finished CW: Wild Space. Very good.

Now back to a book about the Battle of the Bulge.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Just received a late Christmas gift:

Air Support for Patton's Third Army
    by John J. Sullivan. It's about the 9th Tactical Air Force which was tasked with keeping up with Patton's advance to Germany. It's another book I've wanted to help enlighten me about the 9th Air force in general, and the 416th Bomb Group in particular. It should be a fast read: less than 200 pages.

BTW, I'm just over 100 pages into Darwin's War. Not bad considering my house is currently overrun with relatives of every age.
    Just finished. Very good insight into how critically important support groups are to ground combat units; not just air support, but supply and transportation units.

The book is a good look into the infancy of close air support of ground troops as it unfolded during the war.

If you are a WWII student in general or a Patton fan in particular, I would recommend this as a good, concise guide as to his strategies and mindset as he blazed across France and into Germany. A nice, quick read.

Now back to reading Darwin's War.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Am about 2/3 through LSatSoM, and I shall withold judment until it's done, but there's a bad sense rising.

But I found out that William Least Heat Moon, among my favorite all-time authors, has a new book out. Publsihed by Little Brown Books, it's at least 500-600 pages. :ironic: Can't wait to get into it; stupid life responsibilities.

Finished Darwin's War.

Very, very good. Probably meant more to me because I've got a vested interest in the subject of the 416th Bomb Group. I was surprised to see the author, LN Smith, mentions my uncle, William Cramsie, in a couple of lines.

I don't know what's on the menu next........

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Am about 2/3 through LSatSoM, and I shall withold judment until it's done, but there's a bad sense rising.
    It's good that I witheld my judment, as there is no such thing, but now that I'm done, I'll render my judgment (I guess I was so intent on removing the British 'e' in the word, I spelled it the Engish way by removing another letter) now.

Among the 5 worst EU books ever. Ugh.

On to better reads...

I'm trying to track down another book on the 416th Bomb Group during WWII. They more I read about them and their A-20 Hvocs, the more they remind me of the Rebel Alliance flying X-Wings!