Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I'm up to 11 books read this summer this far, just under 3000 pages. These two were short, easy ones.

The Body Snatchers by Jack Finney. This was the story that became the Invasion of the Body Snatchers movie(s). It started in the 1950s-era sci-fi style, with A LOT of details and narration, but by the end, it quickly and concisely wrapped up the story. I read this as a sci-fi reading club recommendation; good societal warning tale.

The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho. I have always liked his books, and I found out this was the end of a "trilogy" of books, but I read the first a long time ago and had yet to get the second, so there's a quest for me to fulfill. The subtitle calls it "A Novel of Temptation," and that is certainly so. It's kind of like Twain's "The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg" meets Jackson's "The Lottery." Not bad; another warning to the world.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

In what ended up as unlucky choices (I'm now up to 13 books read this summer), there are two more to add to the list (LISTS... ).

Unfinished Lives-What If?. I like alternative history, but these were just not well-written stories. Cliched, simplistic, hacked, stiff. They wrote about what would've happened if those-who-died-too-soon had lived: Marilyn M., J. Dean, JFK, A. Ashe, N.B. Simpson, A. Earhart, A. Frank, etc. It sounds like what high school students would write; I appreciate that when I'm grading HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS' WORK, but not published books.

Where Have All the Leaders Gone? by Lee Iacocca. I wanted to read something by authors starting with 'I' and 'Y,' so that's why I chose it. It turned into a bit of a blame-game, which the book argues against. There are many good points, but I just didn't want another our-society-is-broken-so-how-do-we-fix-it; now I know what my students probably feel about some of those assignments I assign.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

To mark the 65th anniversary of D-Day, I read three D-Day related books.

* When Eagles Scream. It's the memoirs of an 101st paratrooper who parachuted into Normandy. It's written in simple terms, but the story is interesting.

* Invasion - They're Coming. The D-Day invasion from the German perspective. It's translated from German and a few extra words are here and there, but good to know the German mindset on that day.

* D-Day, the Sixth of June. The chapters are broken down to different events of that fateful day.

I've also read several of the SW Jedi Quest books over the Fourth of July weekend. Short reads, but I do enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    * Invasion - They're Coming. The D-Day invasion from the German perspective. It's translated from German and a few extra words are here and there, but good to know the German mindset on that day.
    Wow that one sounds quite interesting, I'll have to see if I can track that down at my local library. Thanks OC!

Finished HPATHBP on vacation and will finish The Deathly Hallows later this afternoon
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Forgive me father Shadows of the Empire for I have sinned.

I've started reading The Thrawn Trilogy. I'm done with the first book and I'm on about chapter 10 in the second. I must admit that it's rather good.

Don't anybody get any ideas though. I very highly doubt I'll dabble in more EU. I ran out of books and there happens to be another geek in my shop that had these so I figured I'd give 'em a try.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Forgive me father Shadows of the Empire for I have sinned.

I've started reading The Thrawn Trilogy. I'm done with the first book and I'm on about chapter 10 in the second. I must admit that it's rather good.
    I have all three, but have only managed to get about half way through the first book before being too bored to care.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Forgot to add that I picked up a new book but I'm only a few pages in.

I was never one for classic lit, but I picked up Pride & Prejudice...well, sort of.
    I should say Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

How can you not love a classic with Zombies added?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I had two serious books, both non-fiction, although one is listed as such but the author admits it seems outrageous.

The Shack by Wm. P. Young. Several teachers at my school highly recommended it. It was a good story, about how a father whose daughter was killed tries to understand how God could let it happen. Sometimes funny, occasionally sad, a couple of shocking moments. Not bad, and it fufilled my desire to read an author with a 'Y' last name.

Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario. An account of an immimgrant teenager trying to go from Honduras to the US to meet his mother who'd left to work several years prior. Some graphic descriptions of the horrors of illegal immigration, but it seems to come out on the side of those arriving. It won Pulitzer Prizes as the newspaper version and photos from it.

So that's 15 books, around 4000 pages.

Man, I just want to rip my hair out....I really hate this lady who wrote Children of the Jedi. She is an awful writer IMO.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!