Page 52 of 116 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    Finished Valkyrie. It was good. I know there are several WWII buffs out there, and I recommend it to them.
    I consider myself one of those buffs so thanks for the heads up OC!

Nevermind. Mistook this for the movies thread.

Almost finished with the original novel that inspired Flash Forward.
    Very little of the novel remains in the series. Mosaic is there, Llyod Simcoe is the main character, and something that may or may not be the cause of the flash forward in the series.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I finished Three Dog Nightmare by Chuck Negron. Some may find it interesting, especially if you're into rockers, but I had difficulty getting through it.

Negron was a full-blown heroin addict and he blames everything in life on his addition. That's convenient. You're just weak, Chuck. Your twin sister had the same crummy childhood and you say she came out just fine. You just made a bunch of bad decisions in life and we're supposed to be sympathetic.

He goes into great detail about his addiction and criminal activity (home invasion robberies, burglaries, etc.). Somehow, I guess he's looking for a sympathetic reader. Not this boy. You may have had a rocky start in life, Chuck, but you blew a tremendous opportunity. You like blaming other people and things more than yourself. I know many people who have had a crummy start in life but have prevailed into people I admire, because I work with them daily (I'm referring to one of my colleagues in my unit in particular).

I can only recommend this book if you're into psychology, rehabilitating drug addicts (in that respect it's a very good study but I don't think it was Negron's intention), or other community services that attend to drug addicts. He salutes them no end for the success in breaking his addiction (which only took 19 years).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Still trying to power myself through Planet of Twilight and Barbara Hambly's authoring......Someone shoot me now please.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I finished Vaylkrie just a bit ago, while and interesting subject I gotta say the book was dry and long winded. For whatever reason it just never really caught my interest, ohh well maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow at the library.

Finished Flash Forward a week or so ago.
    Not bad, but not great. Easy to see why they chose the basic idea and other bits and pieces rather than the entire book.

About half way through The Lovely Bones. Seeing the trailer really piqued my interest. So far it's an amazing book, but also incredibly sad.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

My oldest brother gave me a gift card to Borders for Christmas. Mrs. TI7 and I spent quite a while at our local store to see what we might find (I already had a few ideas as to what to look for). Unfortunately, the store was in the post-Christmas state of chaos: unkempt and no selection.

Undaunted, I went on line and ordered the following from Borders last night:

The Life and Legacy of Annie Oakley
    by Glenda Riley (I think her story is fascinating on many levels). And, thanks to JimJamBonds' recommendation, I'm picking up Call of Duty: My Life Before, During, and After the Band of Brothers by Lynn D. "Buck" Compton.

I love histories and biographies, so this should sate me for a while. I still have a bit left on the gift card and I may go back to Borders and give another look at a couple of books on Winston Churchill and Theodore Roosevelt (my favorite president) that I almost picked up yesterday.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    And, thanks to JimJamBonds' recommendation, I'm picking up Call of Duty: My Life Before, During, and After the Band of Brothers by Lynn D. "Buck" Compton.
    Carp you better like it then!

Finished the first of three volume edition of the Chinese tale of 3 Kingdoms (which part was recently made into the Red Cliff movies), and is the story of the fall of the Han dynasty.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I finished reading Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seenby Christopher McDougal this morning. For those that like to run I recommend reading it, its a quick read that I didn't want to put down. Its about Christopher McDougal asking the question 'why do we run' and the surprising answers he finds.