Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I finished another one, this one called SUBMARINE! It was written by an officer of the submarine service in the US Navy during WWII. It was a bit dry at times but all in all it was an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    I finished another one, this one called SUBMARINE! It was written by an officer of the submarine service in the US Navy during WWII. It was a bit dry at times but all in all it was an interesting read.
    With the exclamation point, it made my think it would be a water version of Airplane! Now, if they only did a disaster movie about a bus... Bus!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I finish With the Old Breed by EB Sledge last night. As posted above it's Sledge's memoir of his time in the Pacific in WWII. Brutally honest, gut-wrenching, and very much an anti-war work (without realizing it, perhaps). Probably the best personal account of war I've ever read. Sledge is also fiercely proud of the Marines with whom he served. Highly recommended!
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I first read With the Old Breed and Helmet for My Pillow back in junior high. I want to reread them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    With the exclamation point, it made my think it would be a water version of Airplane! Now, if they only did a disaster movie about a bus... Bus!
    No not exactly, although I found it funny that some submarines had ice cream makers installed in them!!!

A Man Called Spade - short story after The Maltese Falcon. Pretty standard stuff, really read like a Continental Op story, not as interesting of a Sam Spade tale.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    No not exactly, although I found it funny that some submarines had ice cream makers installed in them!!!
    "The sounds you hear are torpedoes smashing against the hull of the sub. Oh, by the way, we're out of ice cream." AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    "The sounds you hear are torpedoes smashing against the hull of the sub. Oh, by the way, we're out of ice cream." AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

The first part was not covered but the second part WAS talked about how morale was low after the motor burnt out, was fixed and then burnt out again, only to be fixed yet again. After each 'fixing' the crew celebrated with BAKED ALASKA!

Just converted 6 more ebooks over to work with my ipod touch thanks to Calibre, Textify, Stanza Desktop, and Notepad++. Yes, it takes a lot of work to make these things work, but it's worth it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Finished Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie. This work along with EB Sledge's With The Old Breed has reinforced just how much HBO's The Pacific sucks. A classic case of how the books are much better than the movie.........
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!