Page 64 of 112 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

I finished another one yesterday this one was called: Magic and Larry: When The Game Was Ours. As the name implies it was about Larry Bird and Magic Johnson and their rivalery that started in college and continued into the pros. All in all it was a good and enjoyable read.

Do you know if they based that recent cable show on Bird/Magic off of this book? Or were they somehow related (i.e. released around the same time)?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Finished Order 66 over the weekend and started 501st yesterday. can't wait to finish. was shocked how they handled the whole Order 66 with Darman and Etain. still a good book all together.

i really hope they continue this series further, there is so much story they can tell to fill in the gaps between the movies.....would really love an action figure set of the Imperial Commandos with removable helmets.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Read "The Thin Man", which is where a lot of this all started, having watched all 6 movies again recently I decided I wanted to see how the original stacked up to the book. Surprisingly, the movie is better than the book, I don't get to say that very often. The book has less Nora, less carefree fun, and is more wrapped up in the hangups of the Wynant family than in going to scenes and looking for clues. Was surprised to see Asta isn't a wire terrier or a boy. And the book builds and builds, gets into that "clack clack clack" roller coaster ascension thing, and then just stops and says "here ya go, here's the answer" instead of a fun ride. It doesn't seem as clever as The Maltese Falcon or Red Harvest, and while it enjoys the prohibition-era storytelling, it doesn't lend a lot of location flavor.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I am/was trying to read Star Wars : Outcast but I really can't get into it. I may be setting it down for awhile(aka giving up) and buy something else to read that isn't Star Wars related.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Finished Meriwether Lewis last night. Which by the name of the title suggests is about Meriwether Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame. It explores his life, time as Governor of Louisiana territory and his death.

Not Floyd [Meriwether] and Lennox Lewis?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArtist View Post
    Finished Order 66 over the weekend and started 501st yesterday. can't wait to finish. was shocked how they handled the whole Order 66 with Darman and Etain. still a good book all together.
    I bought the paperback of 501st when it came out, read it about halfway through within the first week, and then it sat untouched on my nightstand until this past Saturday when I picked it up again...

Hopefully it works out better for you, but I thought this one was by far the weakest entry of the series. I've got about 75 pages left to go and a few things are happening now, but I really enjoyed the first few, and this one is kinda leaving me cold.

I'm mixed on the series continuing w/o Traviss, but there are some great characters here and it would be sad to see them fade away.

Read a Hammett short story last night, "A Man Named Thin", a cute little idea of a bookish, poetry-writing investigator for his father's insurance company. The whodunit aspect of the story was very similar to The Op and many of Hammett's other short stories, but the style was a little different in the character's mannerisms. I think if there had been more breathing room in the story or a sequel, it would have been dandy, but I'm not surprised it didn't go any farther.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

See, people? How fun it is to find a theme and read based on it? Couple summers back, I read "secret" books (Secret Life of Bees, Secret Garden, The Secret [which made me laugh more than any non-humorous book ever], and some other novel with "secret" in the title). I often seek out books based on authors' last names (alphabetical, uncommon letters like X/Y/O/Z/V/etc., odd names), too.