Page 68 of 118 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Please do not insult Voltaire by comparing him to such a talentless turdburglar as Inneedofanenema.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The word "read" should've said "I just read," not an imperative verb that sounds like "red."

Everything was classier "back in the thine day." Voltaire had talent and some sense of subtlety, even being jailed, beaten, and hunted down for his writings. M&M just melts people's mouths and won't give a hand.

And Chux, your comment about him is insulting to turdburglars.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Picked up Before the Storm again to read.....hopefully I'll not lose interest this time.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    The word "read" should've said "I just read," not an imperative verb that sounds like "red."
    Save it for the grammer thread BJC!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Save it for the grammer thread BJC!
    Kelsey Grammer has a thread here? Sweet.

And, I erred in my reply. The line 'The word "read" should've said "I just read," not an imperative verb that sounds like "red."' Should've been 'The word "read" should've said "I just read," not an imperative verb that sounds like "reed."' Oh how a single letter causes so much wow; I mean, woe.

My BSLOS for this oversight?
    "I'm so gangster, I'm so thug.
    You're the only one I'm dreaming of."

BTW, I read a very interesting book, simply because the author's last name started with 'U,' one of the rare ones on my all-time ABC list. The Miracle Life of Egdar Mint, by Brady Udall was more ironic in its title. Sometimes gut wrenching in its scenes and character choices, usually brutal, at times salacious, occasionally LOL-worthy, and surprising in other parts. I can identify with the can't-throw-stuff-away aspect, but the rest of Edgar's life is not really close to mine. I liked it, despite all the "bad" parts; in fact, that's what made it a good read. Red? Redd? Reed?

Numbers, numbers, numbers.

Read my 800th book in my all-time list, which was my 10th this summer (a little under 3k pages read, still 10 different author letters). John Steinbeck's Sweet Thursday, a sequel to Cannery Row. Quite funny at times, a nice easy read, but still Steinbeckian in style, of course.

My favorite Steinbeck novel is The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights. His retelling of Mallory is so moving. I lament he never was able to complete it.

Finished Han Solo and the Lost Legacy. It's nice to revisit this old series.

I reread William Shatner's Tek War book. It wasn't too bad.

It turns out that Amy Tan isn't just a made-up author character from an old Simpsons episode. She's written several books, including The Bonesteer's Daughter. While I can't say I can really share many of the experiences in the novel, Tan's style is detailed without bogged down in details, emotional without being sappy, sly without being sarcastic, and historical without dryness. It's about a woman (I was misled as to who was the protagonist from the first third of the book, but that's part of its themes) who learns about her past in China, pre-WW2 to the present in San Francisco, with some late-20th century family issues thrown in for good measure. It even because somewhat of a mystery towards the end. A very good story.

Looks like I haven't posted in this thread since March...

Since my last post here, I've read:

No One Here Gets Out Alive - My 2nd or 3rd time reading the Jim Morrison bio.

Hiroshima
    - Details the true ordeals of 7 survivors of the bomb.

Quarry In The Middle
    - A pulp Hard Case Crime novel.

A Simple Plan
    - About 3 guys that find a downed airplane containing 4 million dollars and follows the downward spiral their lives take from the greed.

Prozac Nation
    - A young woman's journey through Hell in dealing with severe depression. This one took me a while to get through this one because of the dark subject matter and repetitiveness.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!