Page 70 of 112 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Thread: Reading!

Quote Originally Posted by dr_evazan22 View Post
    The Autobiography of Malcolm X?
    No its under "L" (his name was Little).

Actually, I do have that book, but I was looking for something a little (no pun intended) more uplifting in tone. And my library lists it under both 'X' for X, Malcolm and 'H' for Haley, Alex.

I choose a comedian's book, I Shouldn't Even Be Doing This! by Bob Newhart. I did LOL once or twice, but it was more thoughtful and reflective than funny throughout. I liked it.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Now have read 18 books (and passed 5K in pages read), with the days of summer waning. Recents?

Two Parts Textbook, One Part Love by, as the book cover stated "America's Number One Teacher" LouAnne Johnson (she wrote the book that became the film Dangerous Minds). It was a "recipe" book for teaching suggestions and advice. Sometimes, she and I are exactly on the same page, other times she contradicts herself in the book, while yet more instances have her almost telling me to give up the teaching profession. It will help me to start another year in the classroom, as I'll reconsider some of my policies and expectations, but it didn't change my life.

White as Snow by Tanith Lee. My sci-fi book club's topic for the next discussion is "fairy tales," and this book was on the suggested readings list. It was a retelling of Snow White. It mixed in the myth of Demeter, Hades, and Persephone and combined various versions of the Snow White story. A few times, it was interesting, but manily it was too wordy and confusing to follow. An "ugh" rating for me.

Letters left to read: C (one library has it checked in, but it's farther from home and not along my normal errands route), D (a 400+ pg book with scientific trends takes a while), H, I (in progress right now), Q, R, X, and Y. Can I do it? Mebbe...

NERRRRRDSSSSS!

Unfortunately, real life and the runup to SDCC has ruined my reading schedule, but I have a plan, I'm going to bring the ipod touch and read in long lonely lines at the con.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Two more short ones, really only due to their authors' names.

Toxic Friends, True Friends by Florence Isaacs. It was apparently targeted towards women, but I did learn I'm a horrible person. With the occasional good friend thrown in.

Home Sense by Eduardo Xol. This was an interior decorating book, with probably half pictures/half text. I needed an 'X.' This fulfilled the need.

Just under 6000 pages with the 20 I've read (averaging around 285 pages each). Need six more, and I have four of them (C, D, H, and R) on my dresser; Q and Y remain undecided.

Getting closer to the end o' summer for me and trying to reach the 26 goal (broke the 6000 page barrier, 4 books to go).

Parenting Young Athletes the Ripken Way by Cal Ripken Jr. I'm not a parent, but I thought seeing a perspective of many of the parents of my high students could help for motivation or understanding. I wil say this; Cal picked the right career, as he isn't the strongest writer, style-wise. His points are clear and easy to understand, but a bit too simplistically.

The Winner Stands Alone by Paulo Coelho. I like his style. This one turned into a bit of a mystery, and while you could consider the end a surprise or an expected cliche, it was still well done. It is set in Cannes during the film festival, with the theme of celebrity and fame as traps, plus obession gone right (at least in the minds of those obessessing). Not for those seeking an uplifting tale of perserverance (think a type of The Devil Wears Prada the novel, not the Disney-ized film version, story).

Two letters left: D and H, for 26 of 26.

Red, White, and Brew: An American Beer Odyssey by Brian Yaeger. I'm no beer drinker at all, but his was a 'Y' letter. I have taken a country trip before (not seeking breweries and beer sellers). He is clearly well-versed in this subject, and his style is easy to follow and in good detail. The people he met are interesting, too. Not bad, despite my lack of interest in the overall subject.

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. I needed a 'Q,' and puns are always a plus. I now will seek out his other "Chet and Bernie Mystery" story(ies?). Told from the POV of a dog (don't know his breed) named Chet, it's a down-on-his-luck private detective tale. Not all that mysterious and shocking, but well done with the dog's perspective (all the issues with memory, food, lack of color seen, etc.) and good motifs ("have I told you ____ already?" "don't get me started with ___" ) and funny parts. I really liked this one.

Just finished Dances With Wolves by Michael Blake, which was of course, turned into the Costner movie. Excellent book.
    It's been years since I've seen the movie, so I can't compare them until I get my Extended Cut (4 hours long!) in the mail any day now.

There are like 4 or 5 books I want to read next, so I need to decide soon.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Broke the 7K page mark, so far.

Book #25 is the penultimate in my attempt to read the alphabet by author: Pompeii by Robert Harris. It's a historical fiction set around the days before Vesuvius erupted. It was quite authentic sounding (if you ignore the more recent era profanity terms that make it seem a bit anachronistic to me). I appreciated the drawn map at the front as a nice geographic reference. Not too bad.

Letter 'D' is written by Charles Darwin. I'm halfway through it. I should finish it by the time my body adds two more legs and a prehensal [sp?] tail.

Well, my journey toward the alphabet goal is now complete. The Origin of Species by Chuck D finished it up. A VERY detailed account, much like someone explaining a textbook. Now I can say I read it all the way through; whew.

The breakdown:

Allen, S (humor)
    Brooker, W (Star Wars)
    Coelho, P (fiction)
    Darwin, C (history/science)
    Estleman, L (detective mystery)
    Francis, M (youth fiction)
    Golden, C (Star Wars)
    Harris, R (historical fiction)
    Isaacs, F (self-help)
    Johnson, L (education)
    Kranz, G (science/history/biography)
    Lee, T (fantasy)
    Miller, K (Star Wars)
    Newhart, B (humor)
    Overholser, S (western)
    Piper, H (sci-fi)
    Quinn, S (detective mystery)
    Ripken, C (sports/parenting)
    Steinbeck, J (fiction)
    Tan, A (fiction)
    Udall, B (fiction)
    Voltaire (satire)
    Wolfe, R (sports)
    Xol, E (home & garden)
    Yaeger, B (beer geography )
    Zubrin, R (sci-fi)

26 books, about 7500 pages. But since there's still a week and a half left before school resumes I can try and add a few more books to the total by doubling up on letters, of course.